Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Response to Ann Coulter’s call to War
self ^ | 18 Sept 01 | self

Posted on 09/18/2001 10:10:00 AM PDT by Heuristic Hiker

I love Barbara Olson and I love Ann. In Ann's last column (http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ba0ba347497.htm) Ann expressed concisely how we all feeling about the lost of Barbara. This is a great evil that has come upon our land…but it is also possible to bring greater evil into the world if caution and patience is not exercised in redressing this diabolical threat. There is no doubt that we are at war, but we don’t have to wage the war that bin Laden wants. He wants a crusade against him…and he may get it…but I would argue for some initial responses which would actually be more harmful to him and his cause. I’m a graduate student of Middle East history who spent last year on a fellowship to Israel. I’m not claiming this makes me an expert on what has gone on, but I do think I can offer some legitimate arguments for exercising some patience. Below are some of Ann’s statements from the later part of her essay. I agree with her goals, but as I will out line in my essay which follows, I believe there are some better options than the “kill them all” response:

Apart from hearing that this beautiful light has been extinguished from the world, only one other news flash broke beyond the numbingly omnipresent horror of the entire day. That evening, CNN reported that bombs were dropping in Afghanistan (news - web sites) -- and then updated the report to say they weren't our bombs.

They should have been ours. I want them to be ours. This is no time to be precious about locating the exact individuals directly involved in this particular terrorist attack. Those responsible include anyone anywhere in the world who smiled in response to the annihilation of patriots like Barbara Olson.

We don't need long investigations of the forensic evidence to determine with scientific accuracy the person or persons who ordered this specific attack. We don't need an "international coalition." We don't need a study on "terrorism." We certainly didn't need a congressional resolution condemning the attack this week.

…We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

Again, I would argue for patience, I believe the most important immediate response that the US can give to this challenge will be diplomatic not military (though I think the military response will and should be powerful). Bin Laden wants a crusade (in the Middle Ages model) against him (because he knows how the last crusade turned out). We don't want to give it to him...yet (history doesn't always repeat itself). I think we need to give the Islamic world the chance to decide if this is what they want. If it is, then we will indeed have a new World War on our hands.

I have been impressed with the patience and steps that both Powell and Bush have taken so far towards building a consensus against what has happen internationally, but especially in the Middle East. Bush has said that he wants those who are with us to make their declaration clear…if not it is a signal that they are against us. For myself in the Middle East context the clearest voice will not come from the political leaders, but rather from the religious. This is where bin Laden gets his support. If the religious leaders of al-Ahzar (the main religious university in Egypt) don't pronounce a fatwa (a formal legal sentence (made infamous in their use against Salman Rushdie) against bin Laden, then I would say that the country of Egypt is against us. The same for the Mufti in Jerusalem and so on.

The week before this happened I was reading a book called "People of the Lie: The Hope For Healing Human Evil" (by Dr. M Scott Peck, author of "The Road Less Traveled" (I highly recommend both these books (There of the "self help" type). . In this essay, I've found myself referring quite frequently to this book. I think a lot of what Peck had to say about human evil is applicable to what happened last week.

I do pray the careful, diplomatic solution is the one pursued to the end of this crisis (Though I believe the military will play an important (hopefully, secondary role). Those who prefer their fare simple (or simplistic) will likely become impatient, but for a lasting solution to this crisis. Patience is what is required. Human evil of the type on display this week is too complicated for a one-sided understanding. And it is too large a reality to be grasped within a single frame of reference. This cancer has to be removed with as much precision as possible so as not to kill mankind's body and "soul," and it is an advanced cancer that will require a multifaceted treatment.

What are the specific advantages of a patient response? Why take any extra time to understand the minds of the perpetrators? Why try to build a consensus of action? Why not just….kill them all?

One reason to avoid the effort to understand such acts is that the attempt would seem to involve actually speaking in the language of nihilism, since time immemorial a diabolic voice. Yet, why do or learn anything unpleasant? The answer is, as Tolkien notes below, that it is our duty to try. And in the current situation, it is simply a far better response – both in terms of determining an effective initial response and in laying the ground work for constructing a peaceful world, with the U.S. at its head – to have some glimmer of understanding of what we are to do than to flounder:

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.(J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King (Ballantine Books), 1965, p. 190).

There is not a universal definition of evil, but a simple one that has been suggested is that evil is opposition to life (evil is ‘live' spelled backwards). It is that which opposes the life force. It has, in short, to do with killing. Specifically, it has to do with murder-namely, unnecessary killing, killing that is not required for biological survival. (M. Scott Peck "The People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil," p. 42)

In what way, shape or form could the attack on Tuesday have any relevance to the survival of to bin Laden and his followers or any fundamentalist group?

Dr. Peck notes that evil is most often committed in order to scapegoat, and the people he labeled as evil are chronic scapegoaters. In the "Road Less Traveled" he defined evil "as the exercise of political power – that is, the imposition of one's will upon others by overt or covert coercion-in order to avoid ….spiritual growth" (p. 279). In other words, the evil attack others instead of facing their own failures. Spiritual growth requires the acknowledgment of one's need to grow. If we cannot make that acknowledgement, we have no option except to attempt to eradicate the evidence of our imperfection. (p. 74)

I think this is a very apt description of the fundamentalist milieu that bin Laden and his cohorts swim in. They are aware of their short comings, but instead of choosing spiritual growth they choose the evil attack in an effort to put out a light that shines on their short comings.

What is the cause of this failure of self-hatred, this failure to be displeasing to oneself, which seems to be the central sin at the root of the scapegoating behavior of those Dr. Peck calls evil? The cause that Peck suggests in not an absent conscience. There are people, both in and out of jail who seem utterly lacking in conscience or superego. Psychiatrists call them psychopaths or sociopaths. Guiltless, they not only commit crimes but may often do so with a kind of reckless abandon. There is little pattern or meaning to their criminality; it is not particularly characterized by scapegoating. Conscienceless, psychopaths appear to be bothered or worried by very little-including their own criminality. They seem to be about as happy inside jail as out. They do attempt to hide their crimes, but their efforts to do so are often feeble and careless and poorly planned. They have sometimes been referred to as "moral imbeciles," and there is almost a quality of innocence to their lack of worry and concern. (p. 75)

Bin Laden is neither a psychopath or sociopath. He is rather a sane very, very evil man.

One of the most disturbing facts that came out in the Eichmann trial was that a psychiatrist examined him and pronounced him perfectly sane. We equate sanity with a sense of justice, with humaneness, with prudence, with the capacity to love and understand other people. We rely on the sane people of the world to preserve it from barbarism, madness, destruction. And now it begins to dawn on us that it is precisely the sane ones who are the most dangerous. It is the sane ones, the well-adapted ones who can without qualms and without nausea aim the missiles and press the buttons that will initiate the great festival of destruction that they, the sane ones, have prepared (Thomas Merton Raids on the Unspeakable (New Directions Publishing Corp., 1964, paperback edition, pp. 45-46).

Unfortunately, Bin Laden is sane. He presents a "sane" message to a significant minority in the Islamic world. Because the message is "sane" and a religious message, it must be denounced by sane religious voices within the religious communities of our Muslim allies. They must issue formal fatwas. Lesser condemnations or statements by political leaders will still allow Bin Laden to maintain his "saintity" among this significant minority. As long as this is the case their will continue to be a large pool of "martyrs" for his cause.

The American Islamic community needs to recognize that it was an attack directed at them. The real game for Osama bin Laden is how he is perceived within the Islamic community in American and the Middle East. Other public opinion is irrelevant to him. Physical destruction must be rained down upon the terrorist networks that currently exist, but if we are to permanently root out this evil, the U.S. will need to support those within all of the Islamic communities of the world who are willing to end their tolerance for this interpretation of the Islamic tradition. This is a case where tolerance is not a virtue. Osama bin Laden is a cancer that must be cut out.

The truly evil are dedicated to preserving their self-image of perfection, they are unceasingly engaged in the effort to maintain the appearance of moral purity. They worry about this a great deal. They are acutely sensitive to social norms and what others might think of them. (p. 75) This is particularly true of bin Laden and his ilk. I think the central motivation was to draw dramatic attention to their movement throughout the Islamic world. Right now on that account bin Laden has been successful. Even if we kill him tomorrow he will still have been successful in this central goal.

The West, and the United States in particular has shown as a bright beacon of democracy, freedom and individuality on the dreary world of fundamentalism, which in many ways resembles a form of communism which aims at restricting the minds of its followers. Communism is dreary in all its forms – light and opportunity are beacons that threaten it.

Most of the Muslims in America that I have seen interviewed on Television have condemned the act and then gone on to say that this has nothing to do with real Islam. I applaud the condemnation, but I question the assertion about the relation of terrorism to Islam. The rewards of martyrs are explicitly stated in the Qu`ran. Almost universally the Crusades are seen as a great evil that the West played upon Islam. The work of the notorious Assassins was one way that the Crusaders were responded to. Instead of asking if the act is condemned, I wish an interviewer would ask a Muslim believer where he believed the terrorist was now, in Hell or al-Jannah (paradise). In sum I think there is an unhealthy "dualism" about how many Muslims feel about Tuesdays events. I think it is possible for the same individual for feel terrible about it and call it a great evil and at the same time believe that the hand of Allah is behind it and bin Laden and his followers will receive their reward in Paradise.

This a puzzling dualism and I don't think I am the only one puzzled by it. I think many Muslims are. A clear religious fatwa condemning bin Laden and his followers to hell would add a significant degree of clarity.

The Qur'an (3:169) says "count not those who are slain in the way of God as dead; nay, they are living, with the lord they have provision."

…So God has guarded them from the evil of that day, and has procured radiancy and gladness, and recompensed them for their patience with a Garden, and silk; therein they shall recline upon couches, therein they shall see neither sun nor bitter cold; near them shall be its shades, and its clusters hung meekly down, and there shall be passed around them vessels of silver, and goblets of crystal, crystal of silver that they have measured very exactly. And therein they shall be given to drink a cup whose mixture is ginger, therein a fountain whose name is called Salsabil. Immortal youths shall go about them; when thou seest them, thou supposest them scattered pearls, when thou seest them then thou seest bliss and great kingdom. Upon them shall be green garments of silk and brocade; they are adorned with bracelets of silver, and their Lord shall give them to drink a pure draught. Behold, this is a recompense for you, and your striving is thanked (Qu'ran 76:5-22).

…and wide-eyed houris as the likeness of hidden pearls a recompense for that they laboured. (Qu'ran 56: 22-24).

Perfectly We formed them, perfect, and We made them spotless virgins, chastely amorous, like of age for the Companions of the Right. (Qur'an 56: 35-38)

By the leaders of Muslims leaders in America issuing fatwas against bin Laden I think it would send a clear message to their followers that they believe that bin Laden's place will be in hell not paradise.

One station that I think has done a good service- publicizing some of the unfortunate backlash that some Arab/Muslim Americans have experienced is surprisingly MTV. Their main station is in New York and I think they have done some pretty good reporting. Religious freedom and respect for others religion is a bedrock of American society. I do believe that one of the main goals of this terrorist attack was to attempt to reveal the "illusion" of this religious freedom to the world. I hope that in the long run he is disappointed. I think many of the American Muslims interviewed were more "cultural" Muslims than intellectually grounded followers (like most American Christians are "cultural" Christians, rarely taking the time to examine the details of their beliefs until times of crisis). This is a time a crisis and it is a time to examine beliefs. Their communities' leaders issuing clear fatwas against bin Laden could be an important aspect of the self appraisal.

Finally, by seeking allies within the Islamic community and making this the emphasis of our war against terrorism instead of the "kill them all approach" we are in reality saving ourselves. Dr. Peck notes that the effects which follow too constant and intense a concentration upon evil are always disastrous. Those who crusade not for God in themselves, but against the devil in others, never succeed in making the world better, but leave it either as it was, or sometimes even perceptibly worse than it was, before the crusade began. By thinking primarily of evil we tend, however excellent our intentions, to create occasions for evil to manifest itself. (Huxley p. 192).

I think this describes much of the nature of the failure of the Christian Crusades in the Middle Ages. I pray that our passion does not lead us into a similar error in a new crusade. This is why co-opting, those Muslims who have completely ended any and all tolerance for any acceptance of the legitimacy of the type of martyr acts promoted by Bin Laden – is so important. This should included clerics, from the religious centers of the allies who have sided with us, issuing fatwas condemning Bin Laden. In the case of Egypt – the ulema of al-Azhar, in Palestine – the Grand Mufti, etc. If the fatwas are not delivered, then in the phrase of Pres. Bush we should assume they are against us.

Those who are with us should be nurtured economically, militarily and culturally as are most important allies in the new war against terrorism.

TOPICS: Editorial; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-89 next last

1 posted on 09/18/2001 10:10:00 AM PDT by Heuristic Hiker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Heuristic Hiker
If you just said "bomb the Hell out of them", I'm with you 100%.
2 posted on 09/18/2001 10:14:53 AM PDT by AppyPappy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

My dear brother and sister FReepers,

At this, of all times in my lifetime, I would like nothing more than to be able to read these threads and reply to them.  I have much I would like to say.

BUT, I cannot!

Why?

Because I am trying hard to raise the finances needed to keep FreeRepublic up and running so that we can continue to share valuable information and respond to it.

I beg you, if you have not yet donated to FreeRepublic this quarter,  do so now!

If you have no money, please come and bump the Fundraiser Thread.

I would really like to reach our goal quickly so that I and the rest of the dedicated FReepers who are working the Fundraiser Threads can participate in what is undeniably the most important time in FreeRepublic's history.

FreeRepublic Fundraiser --WE WILL STAND UNITED!!!-- We NEED YOUR HELP AND PATRIOTIC POSTS! <--click here

Support FreeRepublic! Support the U.S.A. <--click here

3 posted on 09/18/2001 10:17:32 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember

I understand Jewish World Review refused to run this article on their site. Can anyone say why?
4 posted on 09/18/2001 10:18:31 AM PDT by PetiteMericco

To: PetiteMericco
It was probably the part about turning them all into Christians.

I am a little miffed at JWR for running columnists that are very liberal anyway. I may have to read my favorite columnists elsewhere from now on. No more contributions from me either. They are good people doing good work but I am not behind them quite as much as I used to be.

Ann's very good friend was murdered. She had a right to say anything she wanted to.

5 posted on 09/18/2001 10:26:44 AM PDT by Media2Powerful
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I think Ann's call for us to make them all Christians was the reason. It is Jewish World Review. Ann was obviously overwrought. The thought of converting all those Muslims just makes me tired.
6 posted on 09/18/2001 10:28:08 AM PDT by cajungirl

I believe there are some better options than the “kill them all” response:

That is exactly the response of the people in my area. Don't get in the way or you will be mowed down.

BUMP

7 posted on 09/18/2001 10:34:55 AM PDT by tm22721

I understand Jewish World Review refused to run this article on their site. Can anyone say why?

My guess is it would have something to do with Ann's call to forcibly convert all Muslims to Christianity. Its a quick step from that to converting the Jews. I understand their reluctance.

8 posted on 09/18/2001 10:35:05 AM PDT by Dave S

To: Media2Powerful
Ann's very good friend was murdered. She had a right to say anything she wanted to.

I heard her on KSFO's Brian Wilson show the day before that piece was released. I was flabbergasted when she said that in addition to "invad[ing] their country and kill[ing] their leaders," she said the US should "convert them to Christianity," as if that was the objective or end result of victorious American force in the past.

Ann had a right to say what she wanted regardless of whether she had a friend who died in the attack. That doesn't mean that unwise, inflammatory, and easily misinterpreted statements shouldn't be recognized for what they are.

9 posted on 09/18/2001 11:31:44 AM PDT by L.N. Smithee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Dave S
My guess is it would have something to do with Ann's call to forcibly convert all Muslims to Christianity. Its a quick step from that to converting the Jews. I understand their reluctance.

I don't.

Given the very weak (if at all) interest in proselytizing among Jews (whose Jewish identity passes through the mother, if I'm not mistaken)... you would think they would be delighted if Christianity would convert Islam to the Judeo-Christian sensibility and thereby disabuse many of the mistruths which have allowed militant atheists to pretend they are "radical Islamic fundamentalists" when -- in fact -- they've nothing to do with faithful Muslims.

It's an interesting question, really.

10 posted on 09/18/2001 11:39:31 AM PDT by Askel5
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

A thoughtful reply. I have a very interesting piece on evil in which you may be interested. Will try to post later.

Regards.

11 posted on 09/18/2001 11:40:25 AM PDT by Askel5

Ann's got it right in pinning a bulls-eye on the Muslim problem. A 25 megaton city buster each on Mecca and Medina, and a big panel truck full of munitions run into the middle of the Al Asqa Mosque in Jerusalem. After this is done, we can talk to the Muslims again about how much more they want to fight us. If they continue to be recalcitrant, we can then systematically start taking out their major cities. There won't be much left after too long.
12 posted on 09/18/2001 11:42:12 AM PDT by Andrew Byler

To: L.N. Smithee
Ann is correctly directing our steps towards a new Crusade. God will bless our arms, as he did at Tours and Lepanto and Vienna against the fanatics, if our aim is to destroy their false religion and bring them to the Truth. He will see to it that we are destroyed, however, if our motives are simply worldly.

Remember October 7, 1571! Feast of Our Lady of Victory!

13 posted on 09/18/2001 11:45:58 AM PDT by Andrew Byler
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Somehow I doubt very seriously that a totally decadent, materialistic U.S. who aborts 1.2 million of its own each year, is eradicating Christianity (ONLY) from the public square and who has just confirmed with Federal Funding that all men ARE NOT created equal is in any position to pretend it's Christian or equal to converting others to whatever perverted "Christian" ethic is supposedly lives by.
14 posted on 09/18/2001 11:48:26 AM PDT by Askel5

To: Andrew Byler
Are you some kind of disruptor or what?

You need to think long and hard about why so many of the Crusaders (particularly those sent to Constantinople) were excommunicated.

15 posted on 09/18/2001 11:49:54 AM PDT by Askel5
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I was personally surprised at her column. But, I have total faith in her character and intentions and long standing admiration of her. It is my believe that one should not dump on ones friends just because they were at an emotional low point and maybe said some things they wouldn't have otherwise said. That goes for Ann, Falwell, or anyone else whom I consider an ally. Certainly the lefties have munched a lot of feet from time to time. Even they deserve a break at this moment.
16 posted on 09/18/2001 11:54:48 AM PDT by Media2Powerful

Know your enemy," by American in Israel</a href>
17 posted on 09/18/2001 11:55:38 AM PDT by JMJ333

To: Andrew Byler
Kick em in the nuts fer Jesus*, eh?

*copyright OWK</font size>

18 posted on 09/18/2001 12:00:10 PM PDT by Storm Orphan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Heuristic Hiker, gcruse, MHGinTN
BTTT
19 posted on 09/18/2001 12:05:19 PM PDT by JMJ333

To: Storm Orphan
This kind of says it all for me,

The Qur'an (3:169) says "count not those who are slain in the way of God as dead; nay, they are living, with the lord they have provision."

20 posted on 09/18/2001 12:11:41 PM PDT by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-89 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson