Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

FLORIDA, WHERE THE UNSAVORY GO TO LIE LOW
Palm Beach Post ^ | Sunday, September 16, 2001 | Frank Cerabino

Posted on 09/17/2001 1:05:37 PM PDT by Herbivore

If there's a story with unsavory characters, chances are it will have a Florida connection.

So it didn't come as a great surprise that soon after Tuesday's suicide jetliner attacks in New York and near Washington investigators began scouring Florida, which was full of fresh tracks left by the terrorists. I've come to believe that no matter where in the country things happen, you can scratch the surface a bit, and like magic, Florida comes festering to the top.

From earth-shaking conspiracies to the works of petty scoundrels. From murderers to swindlers. And sometimes just as a haven for those getting away from the bright light of notoriety.

Florida, which is both a gateway and an end of the road, is a magnet for it all.

The Watergate investigation led to a band of burglars from Miami. Fallen televangelist Jim Bakker might have set up shop in South Carolina, but his carnal unraveling with church secretary Jessica Hahn happened at a cheap motel in Clearwater. (Bakker has since remarried and begun plans to start a religious retreat for kids - in the Florida Panhandle.)

The murder of O.J. Simpson's wife appeared, at first, to be a tawdry story without a Florida taint: And then O.J. moved to Miami.

Let's face it: Florida is the perfect place to either plan, carry out or survive the aftermath of a smorgasbord of unpleasantries - everything from the grotesquely barbaric to the mildly embarrassing.

Crack-snorting Washington Mayor Marion Barry dried out in West Palm Beach. Iran-Contra document shredder Fawn Hall began putting her life back together while working at a bookstore in Palm Beach Gardens. And Pete Rose chose to live out his exile from Major League Baseball in Boca Raton.

The two biggest national events of last year - the November presidential election and the fate of Elian Gonzalez - played out on Florida's streets.

Affordable training for terrorists

And during the past five days, news reporters and FBI agents have begun searching for clues about the travels of Tuesday's airline terrorists, who left a trail that is beginning to look more like a travel guide to the Sunshine State.

FBI agents began loading up evidence in Venice, Coral Springs, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Lantana, Palm Beach, Vero Beach and Daytona Beach.

By Friday, the FBI released the names and probable last addresses of the terrorists, and as many as nine of them were in Delray Beach.

The terrorists had apparently lived in Florida, learned to fly here and carried on in bars here, engaging in all sorts of activities not normally associated with their Muslim religion, everything from running up four-figure bar tabs to paying strippers for lap dances.

Once again, it's not surprising. Florida's a great place to misbehave. Or to reinvent yourself.

If you want to be invisible for a while, and you think of America as a country with four corners, Florida is an alluring choice. The Pacific Northwest is wet. The Northeast is cold. Southern California has better weather, but it costs a fortune.

Florida is warm in the winter, relatively inexpensive without winter clothing and a state income tax, and diverse enough in its population to accommodate just about anybody, no questions asked.

Florida is, in some respects, a state of transients, where people often know next to nothing about their neighbors and where people who come and go are just part of the landscape. And in many parts of the state, English is optional.

All in all, it makes for an attractive place to either retire, raise a family on a budget or plot the overthrow of Western Civilization.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
And next, we will somehow, someway, end up with Janet Reno in charge. Then I move.
1 posted on 09/17/2001 1:05:37 PM PDT by Herbivore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Herbivore
When I lived in Miami, we use to say that it was if all the screws and nuts that shook loose from the US settled in that pocket known as S. Florida.
2 posted on 09/17/2001 1:14:37 PM PDT by danzaroni
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

'FreeRepublic Needs Your Help' Fundraiser

3 posted on 09/17/2001 1:24:41 PM PDT by d14truth

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

The assertion made in the title of this post is true in a very real sense. Florida's insurance commissioner and legislature have hamstrung bail bondsmen across the nation with regard to apprehending out-of-state bail jumpers who wisely have sought refuge in the Sunshine State.

Only Florida-licensed bondsmen, many of who are aging or aged, are allowed to effect the apprehension of skips who end up in their state. And Florida-based bounty hunters, who are relatively few in number, must operate alongside of said Florida bondsmen.

Indeed, an out-of-state recovery agent can be arrested for even identifying himself as such.

5 posted on 09/17/2001 1:51:30 PM PDT by tracer

These South Florida people can speak for themselves.

The real Florida still lives North of Orlando.

When I read or hear of some event which took place in Miami, it is as distant and foreign to me as if it happened in London or Los Angeles. Pensacola and Miami are not only different in morality and lifestyle, they are as far apart by land as Chicago is from New York.

They are even farther apart in politics than they are in distance.

6 posted on 09/17/2001 2:03:55 PM PDT by yarddog

Hmmmmm.......interesting to consider that the shenanigans in Florida nearly put Al Gore in the White House.
7 posted on 09/17/2001 2:08:06 PM PDT by Southflanknorthpawsis

You can thank "diversity." "It's our strength."

Anything or anybody can show up here these days and nobody will notice. There is no "norm."

8 posted on 09/17/2001 2:09:49 PM PDT by JohnnyYuma

To: yarddog
You're absolutely right!
I'm a native North Floridian, and I haven't been south of Orlando since I was 15 years old. I'd be happy if they moved the state line down about 50 miles and made me a Georgian!
9 posted on 09/17/2001 2:13:36 PM PDT by EllaMinnow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: redlipstick
Nobody that is a 3rd generation or more Florida boy calls themself a "native." We're Crackers.

As for cutting off below Orlando, what about Okeechobee, LaBelle, Holopaw, Arcadia, and a whole bunch of others.. REAL Florida. It's the crust on the edges that needs scraped. The middle of the pie is just fine.

I'm a 5th generation Cracker, and I sure aint no part of Georgia. Son, that's blasphemy!

10 posted on 09/17/2001 2:21:53 PM PDT by JohnnyYuma
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: redlipstick
I think the farthest South I have ever been is Gainesville. Which is really not very far. Technically I think Appalachicola is about the same lattitude although being in the panhandle one doesn' think of it as South of anything.
11 posted on 09/17/2001 4:57:51 PM PDT by yarddog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Maybe the terrorists leadership lives in Florida. Someone had to keep these killers on track. Seems logical to me.
12 posted on 09/18/2001 5:58:53 PM PDT by GOPJ

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson