Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

LI's New Bishop Known for Tough Stances on Church Doctrine
newsday.com ^ | September 4, 2001 | Carol Eisenberg

Posted on 09/06/2001 10:57:15 PM PDT by patent

Edited on 09/03/2002 4:49:18 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Lenny is dying, his father told the bishop in a late- night phone call.

When the black-robed clergyman arrived in the intensive care unit at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, his friend, Lenny Zakim, lay there with one eye open, his hands wrapped around a string of beads blessed by the Dalai Lama. Bishop William F. Murphy leaned over his friend's wasted body and kissed his cheek. For a moment, the Jewish civil rights leader seemed to revive.

"This is the best photo op in the city of Boston," Zakim joked in a voice barely above a whisper.

(Excerpt) Read more at newsday.com ...

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-58 next last
See also Newark bishop's legacy is mixed
1 posted on 09/06/2001 10:57:15 PM PDT by patent
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: patent
My word. A Catholic bishop who's not afraid to be... a Catholic bishop! What is the world coming to?

God bless you, Bishop Murphy.

Freedom, Wealth, and Peace,
Francis W. Porretto
Visit the Palace Of Reason: http://palaceofreason.com

2 posted on 09/07/2001 5:32:00 AM PDT by fporretto
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: antidisestablishment,True North Strong and Free,hocndoc, firebrand
Bumping. Let me know if you want on or off the list. Click my screen name for a description.
3 posted on 09/07/2001 4:09:21 PM PDT by patent

To: al_c,proud2Bamerican,Jened,John O,Mannaggia l'America,bloodmeridian,mommadooo3,EODGUY,fleebag,
Bumping. Let me know if you want on or off the list. Click my screen name for a description.
4 posted on 09/07/2001 4:09:31 PM PDT by patent

To: Lucius Cornelius Sulla,choirboy, reflecting,LibertyGirl77,Tiki,saradippity,proud2bRC,Notwithstanding
5 posted on 09/07/2001 4:09:41 PM PDT by patent

To: Hermann the Cherusker,Homer_J_Simpson,fred25,TaRaRaBoomDeAyGoreLostToday!,B-Chan,BlackElk,SuziQ.,
6 posted on 09/07/2001 4:09:50 PM PDT by patent

To: one_particular_harbour,Logophile,afraidfortherepublic,Catholicguy,fdcc,Claud,reflecting,BeforeISleep
7 posted on 09/07/2001 4:09:59 PM PDT by patent

To: Confiteor,electron1,aquinasfan,dumb_ox,St.Chuck,Redhead,VermiciousKnid,Cultural Jihad,big'ol_freeper
8 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:07 PM PDT by patent

To: Reagan's_Mom,Rebforever,The Iguana,Diva,Atticus,ssfromla,grellis,It is time,mickie,Askel5,jwalsh07,
9 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:20 PM PDT by patent

To: sockmonkey,pegleg,MHGinTN,mo'shea,annalex,Chesterbelloc,Solson,LarryLied,TheBlueMax,goodieD,
10 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:27 PM PDT by patent

To: Commonsense,Marie Antoinette,Romulus,Straight Vermonter,eastsider,ArrogantBustard,Sursum Corda,
11 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:36 PM PDT by patent

To: 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember,Huck,Bush2000,Diago,Campion,ballina,pax_et_bonum,Nora,MrChips,
12 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:45 PM PDT by patent

To: Kevin Curry,johniegrad,davidosborne,victim soul,ninenot,Roscoe,workerbee,Easy_Shark,Aristophanes,
13 posted on 09/07/2001 4:10:53 PM PDT by patent

To: father_elijah,antoninus,aposiopetic,salvation,dominus vobiscum,ELS,nina0113,Steve0113,el_chupacabra,
14 posted on 09/07/2001 4:11:06 PM PDT by patent

Patent, thanks for the ping.

What a great article and what a great bishop. Of course, you know I'm a bit prejudice about the "Irish" part.

15 posted on 09/07/2001 4:28:35 PM PDT by ballina
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Murphy wrote the letter banning a group of mostly elderly Catholic women who supported women's ordination from meeting on church property, and wrote a weekly newspaper column saying he couldn't understand how any Catholic could vote for a candidate who supported abortion rights.

And he's got all the right enemies: ex-priests, leaders of "wymyn-church", etc. It'll be interesting to see how he turns out.

AB

16 posted on 09/07/2001 4:29:43 PM PDT by ArrogantBustard

Prejudice= prejudiced.

This bishop reminds me of a priest whose Mass we attended last week. After Communion, he came to the altar rail and announced, "I am ashamed and embarrassed by those who came to receive Communion wearing shorts and tank tops. Don't you have any respect for your Lord?"

Hope springs eternal.

17 posted on 09/07/2001 4:42:54 PM PDT by ballina
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

I hope to be confirmed by a man like this.

Homer
RCIA - Week 6

18 posted on 09/07/2001 4:56:35 PM PDT by Homer_J_Simpson

To: Homer_J_Simpson
Good for you, Homer. Welcome to the Roman Catholic Church and welcome to FreeRepublic. One of the things that you will find as a Catholic is that there is an incredible amount of talent in the Church. Some may be liberal and you may disagree and some may be more orthodox and you may agree. Either way, we have an extremely talented and well educated clergy. Keep your eyes open. You'll see it.
19 posted on 09/07/2001 5:15:55 PM PDT by johniegrad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Homer_J_Simpson
Enjoy the journey. RCIA made me a different man.
20 posted on 09/07/2001 6:24:34 PM PDT by annalex
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-58 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson