Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Meaningless Words - 1984 Doublethink
1984 Doublethink ^ | Timeless FR Post 09-06-01 | George Holt

Posted on 09/06/2001 11:46:15 AM PDT by vannrox

Meaningless Words - 1984 Doublethink

Formerly meaningful words are now empty, vacuous, content-free, unburdened by meaning. They have become twisted euphemisms, Owellian 1984 Newspeak and Doublethink. The New Propaganda. Word Weapons to advocate a personal political viewpoint in the guise of seamingly neutral phrases. If you can get the other side to accept your terminology, you've won half the battle. You are being controlled. Not by a totalitarian government, but lots of potent, politically self-correct organizations such as: These organizations have many noble goals, but intentional or not, they are fruitful sources of Newspeak and Doublethink.

They are right and you are wrong (especially for saying you are right). Sadly, it is not difficult to see examples of their hypocrisy. For example, the N.O.W. denouces hate, violence and stereotypes yet are sponsoring a mean-spirited "Fight the Right" campaign...

Some Thoughts

eu-phe-mism n. The act or an example of the substitution of an inoffensive 
  term for one considered offensive: ``Euphemisms such as'' slumber room'. 
  .. abound in the funeral business''  (Jessica Mitford).[Gk. euphe
  mismos  <euphemos,  using auspicious words: eu-,  good + pheme,  
  speech]-eu'phe-mist n.-eu'phe-mis'tic adj.-eu'phe-mis'ti-cal-ly adv.

The American Heritage Dictionary

What's in a name?  That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

Romeo and Juliet 2.2.43-44
There are two types of fools, one who says 'It is old, therefore good'.
The other says 'It is new, therefore better.'"

Purportedly Ancient Oriental Saying
Don't be so open minded your brains fall out.

Anonymous

The List

Domestic Partner
What happened to spouse? If I use this term, don't I implicitly condone "living together" and/or homosexuality. Does this term apply to one's favorite pet? Favorite housekeeper?

Family Values
A set of time-tested ideals. A target of cheap pot-shots.

Biological Parent
Such a lovely term. Term related to "Sperm Doner", "Father", etc.

Significant Other
Such a lovely term. Term of the same ilk as "Parental Unit".

Gay
An antonym/synonym for Happy?

Sexual Orientation / Preference
A polite way of denoting all sexual orientations, including sexual disorientation. "For soft drinks, I prefer Pepsi, for carpet color, teal and for sexual relations, humans."

Homophobia
Literally "fear of sameness", "fear of homosexuals" or "fear of homosexuality". Generally used to denegrate someone who disagrees with a homosexual. The coercive attempt to make people feel guilty for not accepting homosexuals on their own terms. The term has nothing to do with "fear".

Alternative Lifestyles
A social experiement upon being conducted upon society without their consent. We don't know the results of this experiement. It may take decades to see that blindly accepting Alternative Lifestyles was not a socially wise decision. Depending on point of view, the term also applies to the lifestyles of serial killers, "hippies", psycotics, child molesters, Neo-Nazis, Republicans, Democrats.

Pro-choice / Anti-choice
Couples have the choice to become pregnant. They have the right to chose their actions. They don't have the right to chose the consequences of their actions. (Yes, technically the child is carried by only one member of the couple. But in all other respects, both should consider themselves pregnant.) See also Reproductive Freedom/Planning, Planned Parenthood.

Product of Conception
That's me! How about you?

Abortionist
A term of derision used by those against abortion-on-demand.

Religionist
A term of derision used by the less religious. The -ist suffix has become a general purpose suffix of derision.

Rights
A social, moral and/or political framework by which one attempts to justify doing what they wish. Concern over individual rights has long since overtaken concern for individual responsibility.

Gay Rights
Not the Right to be Gay, but rather the demand that people accept the political and, more importantly, moral agenda of homosexuals to the exclusion of another's equally legitimate personal, moral and religious convictions.

Diversity
Anything different, therefore Good, including that which is Bad.

Different
"They aren't bad, they're just Different". "There is no Wrong, just Different".

Radical Right
Contrived term of derision for those that disagree with those on the "Right". Related term: Right Wing.

Freedom
Absolute freedom. Freedom from responsibility. Free to do whatever. The USA is a Free Country.

Agenda
Viewpoint. Used disparagingly to refer to a viewpoint with which you disagree. Example: "These laws were crafted by many different people, with many different agendas".

Human Resource
I don't like working for companies that have a Human Resource department. It's as if I'm just a corporate resource that is classified as Human. Personnel Department was a better term.

Consumer
A person who buys something. Evokes images of "consuming mass quantities" of beer, televisions, potato chips, cars, etc.

Sexual Revolution
Not a revolution. It's been happening cyclically for millenia. A recycled morality.

Native American
Most natives of the United States of America are not Native Americans... Ironically, some Native Americans advocate their ancient term The People as a term to exclusively denote themselves.

African American
Applied even to those who feel no paticular attachment to African. Many prefer the term Black.

Caucacian
Caucasian adj. 1. A native of inhabitant of the Caucasus (a mountain range in the Soviet Union). 2.A member of the Caucasoid ethnic division.
Most "American Indians" have heard of India and are quick to point out that that's not where they are from. Most Cacuasians have never heard of the Caucasus, fewer can find the region on a map. Don't call me white. I'm a Caucasian-American dagnabit.

Minority
Viewed from an appropriate context, everyone is a minority in some way. This insight can often be used to your advantage.

Racist
Disagreeing with someone of a different race.

Feminist
One who advocate or demands for women the same rights granted to men, often including the right to be like men in appearance. Feminists seldom advocate the traditional definition being feminine.

Misogynist
Literally "women hater". More commonly, one who disagrees with a feminist.

Her
In writing, an increasingly acceptable replacement for the sexist term "His". Used when a gender-neutral pronoun is called for. Two wrongs make a right.

Quality of Life
Term used when discussing and justifying the termination of life.

Discrimination
The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment.

Censorship
Being responsible in the materials you make available to others. Not letting me tell you what to publish. I'm not obliged to make available everything you think I should make available. (Definition - unjustified restriction on the flow information. How to define "justified" is the controversy.)

Free Speech
The right not only to say, but to do anything you wish. Related term: Freedom of the Press - applies to those who own the press. Related term: First Amendment Rights.

Open Mind
A mind so open all of its thoughts have fallen out. A mind open infection - an "open sore".

Tolerant Culture
"Hawaii's traditionally tolerant culture" should permit same-sex marriages. Go figure.

Parental Control
The view that parents should be the only protectors of children. As objectionable material is made more easily accessible to children, now the parents have the full responsibility to control what their children access. They are the children's last and only line of defense. All others, especially the media providers, have abdicated their responsibilities.

Sexual Harrassment
Annoying another person in a way that reminds them that sex exists.

Department of Defense
Formerly the Department of War. Still the same department, however.

Animal Rights
Not to be confused with human rights.

Democracy
The right to complain about the fact that they won't let you do whatever you feel like.

Christian Right
"Will you support them if you were gay? No. But if I were a fetus..." -- paraphrased from some TV show

Gaming
Euphemism for gambling used by gambling proponents. You see, it's not gambling, it's just a game. I feel better already.

Celebrate
This word used to mean something, but is now too trite to be meaningful. It's evolved into a "helper" euphemism as in "celebrate diversity".

Have more to add? Suggestions? Comments? Rebuttals? Please email: george@holt.org
Index: DazFrobIt.

Will Altavista index this word: "DazFrobIt"?

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
I found this a very interesting read.
1 posted on 09/06/2001 11:46:15 AM PDT by vannrox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: vannrox
Quite a paradigm...
2 posted on 09/06/2001 11:53:16 AM PDT by ofMagog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: vannrox
African American

Applied even to those who feel no paticular attachment to African. Many prefer the term Black.

One of my college classmates was born in Africa but became a U.S. citizen in 1990. I wonder what would happen if she filled out an employment or financial-aid form as "African American"?

3 posted on 09/06/2001 9:44:42 PM PDT by supercat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson