Skip to comments.Pregnant woman, hogtied by traffic cops, for talking on her cell phone wins $250,000 payout
Posted on 01/18/2013 3:14:58 PM PST by rawhide
The pregnant Los Angeles woman who was brutally hogtied by California Highway Patrolmen in August 2011 after being pulled over for chatting on her cell phone while driving has finally received retribution in the form of a $250,000 settlement.
According to the LA Times, Tamara Gaglione, 30, was hauled away and charged with misdemeanor evading and resisting arrest and driving on a suspended license.
Those charges were dropped, however, once Gaglione's terrible treatment was revealed in footage from the cruiser's video camera.
It is unclear in the grainy video exactly how aggressive, if at all, Gaglione was toward the cops. What is clear, though, is that Hernandez and Martinez drew their weapons on the unarmed Gaglione as they approached her and forced her onto the ground.
Hernandez later claimed Gaglione did not tell them of her pregnancy until after she was on the ground, but Gaglione said she told the officers as they approached her.
Hogtied, Gaglione was subsequently taken away in a patrol car.
Gaglione filed suit against the department and the officers involved, but the video evidence that eventually won Gaglione $250,000 this past November was not immediately forthcoming. Gaglione's attorney Howard Price claimed that Hernandez failed to check a box on the arrest report stating a video camera had, in fact, recorded the incident.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
A lot of people on FR don’t like authority figures.
I hadn’t noticed. :)
They're in the information business and they're poisoning their own wells.
One of the reasons we have ‘low information’ people in this country...
I guess I am the opposite. I like to give authority figures the benefit of doubt. Wouldn’t want to be them; appreciate them.
“Not sympathetic to her plight.”
We will all laugh when it’s your turn, boy.
Which the woman in the video was not doing. Watch the video.
The cop who slammed her face-first on the ground should be fired and lose his pension.
Look at segment 0:18 thru 0:22 of the video. The cop didn't just have "hand on weapon". His pistol was DRAWN and POINTING at the woman. I can understand her not complying with his order to turn around -- most women would be frozen with fear if a burly cop was aiming a gun at them.
We don't like violent thugs, and we don't care what gang colors they wear.
99% of the cops make the other 1% look bad.
Bloomberg, Holder and other gun-grabbers are most grateful.
It took six cops to attack one woman.
Feeling safer? Yes. Yes I am.
< / sarc >
Her bewilderment was clear on the video. Those LEOs were looking for an excuse to assault a citizen. A pity they aren’t paying out of their own paychecks.
Indeed. Now is the time for the peace officers to come forward to condemn this.
The p.o.s. had a suspended license and shouldn’t have even been driving in the first place. It’s not that easy to get a suspended license - - you usually have to be reckless multiple times and/or a drunk. That said, the cops (four of them were needed??) looked like sadistic animals and bullies. The whole event was a collision of worthless morons. No sympathy for any of them.
The charge of a suspended license was dropped. The victim of police assault should have been ticketed and fined for texting and weaving through traffic.
Not assaulted by a few boys (Hernandez and Martinez) who apparently get off on slamming women face-first into the asphalt.
Or at lease reduce the budget of the Police department by the amout awarded ... let these idiots feel some peer pressure
Or at least reduce the budget of the Police department by the amout awarded ... let these idiots feel some peer pressure
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.