Apparently, some people just don’t GET that even ovulating women aren’t necessarily going to become pregnant. As the doctor has stated, there is much complexity to this process. It appears as if it isn’t just progressives who get all emotional over certain issues. Nobody is condoning or supporting rape. I don’t know what Akin really MEANT, but fortunately most rapes do NOT result in pregnancy. And let’s face it, the Choice Crowd just uses this as an excuse. Even if we could have a law that said “only in the case of abortion/incest,” they would NOT go with it. They want abortion on demand...when they want it and where they want it.
And keeping it that way keeps MONEY in the pocket of the PP clinic owners. THERE IS BIG MONEY IN IMMORALITY. Just ask the politicians whom the PP clinic owners donate money to. (not that they would admit it)
The impression I get (from what I've heard/read in popular culture) is that a lot of people (not the general public, surely?) have some peculiar beliefs about the female body.
* A woman has a "shelf life" and is worthless if she is "past her expiration date" (whatever that means).
* All women go through menopause at age 40 (yeah, I saw that one touted by a male comedian on late-night television).
* "Don't trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die." How many women have constant heavy menstrual flow over seven whole days?
* A belief that a woman has "pre-menstrual syndrome" DURING her period (what does the prefix "pre-" mean again?
* A woman can get pregnant 30 days out of any given month (reality: fertility is only a few days out of every month).
* Every woman of childbearing years should, for the pleasure and convenience of all men, be on birth control of some sort, or be willing to abort the child. (Saw this one on a newsgroup or Web site somewhere.)
Supply your own examples. I think the wackiness in popular culture regarding women's bodies came along with the pill and has increased after Roe v. Wade.
It appears as if it isnt just progressives who get all emotional over certain issues.
The underlying emotional issue is "sex at any time, with no strings attached." That's what's getting people all worked up.
Sex is serious stuff. People aren't giving it its due.