Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I am a teacher. Arm me!
myself

Posted on 12/16/2012 6:37:06 PM PST by CBF

I am a teacher, and I am armed. I hold a concealed carry permit, and I train to effectively and efficiently use a weapon in a crisis situation. I study when deadly force is necessary and evaluate when I would choose to draw my weapon. If I am forced to draw my weapon, I will use it. From the time I make the decision to draw, I have already committed to using deadly force. If the situation warrants it, I can draw, unsafe and accurately fire two rounds in under 3.5 seconds. Arm me.

I have participated in the emergency drills; doors are locked, sheets of paper are placed over the windows, and children are moved away from the windows. Students are told to remain quiet. As was proven at Sandy Hook Elementary, these policies make students and teachers sitting targets for madmen bent on destruction. Teachers shielded their wards with their bodies! Noble? Yes. But how much carnage would have been thwarted if one or more of the teachers at that school were able to actually defend their students rather than die in vain?

I am a teacher. I volunteer. I volunteer to undergo the background checks, the CT certification, the ongoing training, and to take the responsibility to provide a first line of defense against the insanity which propels people to commit these heinous acts of cowardice and evil in our schools. The police responded as quickly as they could at Sandy Hook, ten long minutes after the shooting began, long after 20 innocent children and 6 teachers were already gone, and the gunman dead by his own hand.

The President tonight said that if our actions can protect our children then they are always right. To that I say yes, Mr. President, allow us to protect our children. I am a teacher. Arm me!

TOPICS: Education; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: aurora; banglist; guncontrol; gunfreezones; massshooting; sandypoint; secondamendment
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-53 next last

1 posted on 12/16/2012 6:37:19 PM PST by CBF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: CBF

I agree.

we need to ban high-capacity gun-free zones.

2 posted on 12/16/2012 6:40:15 PM PST by TurboZamboni (Looting the future to bribe the present)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

If the situation warrants it, I can draw, unsafe and accurately fire two rounds in under 3.5 seconds. Arm me.

I think you meant to say you can draw safely and accurately. Not unsafe.

Or did you mean that you can disengage the safety?

3 posted on 12/16/2012 6:41:31 PM PST by LouAvul

Israeli teachers are armed..at least some of them.It is mandatory that when the kids are taken on an outing, three staff MUST be armed.

And......

NO mass shootings at an Israeli school since 1974!!!!

4 posted on 12/16/2012 6:41:54 PM PST by Recovering Ex-hippie (Go Galt!)

In remote portions of Alaska, when a mother goes outside to hang her clothes, she takes her fully-loaded Magnum 357 with her, just in case she runs into a bear who is intent upon doing her harm.

5 posted on 12/16/2012 6:43:58 PM PST by Slyfox (The key to Marxism is medicine - V. Lenin)

To: LouAvul

I meant I could safely disengage the safety. Thank you.

6 posted on 12/16/2012 6:44:11 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Every parent I think would WANT you to be armed!

7 posted on 12/16/2012 6:45:25 PM PST by Recovering Ex-hippie (Go Galt!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Slyfox

Yupp. Been in that situation myself. I was 14 the first time my Dad let me go fishing in Alaska on my own. Had a .357 mag on one hip, and a shortened pump shotgun with a pistol grip and sling on the other. Walking through the tall grass in bear country can be a bit unnerving.

8 posted on 12/16/2012 6:48:27 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Recovering Ex-hippie

My son is in 10th grade at a public school; I would have no problem accepting that one or more responsible, law-abiding and properly trained teachers were enabled to provide a defense if necessary.

9 posted on 12/16/2012 6:50:50 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I am a licensed concealed carry holder.
I am a Veteran.
I train constantly with all of the weapons I own.
I’m going to go to the elementary school tomorrow morning and volunteer on my days off.

They’ll likely say, “No,” but it’s the most I can do.

10 posted on 12/16/2012 6:52:07 PM PST by RandallFlagg ("Liberalism is about as progressive as CANCER" -Alfonzo Rachel)

The school nurse interviewed by 60 Minutes was just as helpless as the schoolchildren under her care. She could do nothing but hide under her desk and then, after the killed looked into her room, move to a closet where she locked the door. She remained helpless in the closet while she heard the continued sounds of gunfire. She said that she could do nothing. She was right.

But, what if you stood in her place? Armed, trained, prepared to act to protect innocent children. The killer would still be dead, though more likely by your hand, and some, if not all of the victims would have been spared.

Disarming everyone in a school, advertising that fact, and then relying on police for protection when they are usually at least 10 minutes away is insanity.

11 posted on 12/16/2012 6:54:11 PM PST by centurion316

12 posted on 12/16/2012 6:55:49 PM PST by rawcatslyentist ("Behold, I am against you, O arrogant one," Jeremiah 50:31)

The Governor of Michigan has a bill on his desk to do just that; allow teachers who are CCW licensed to carry at school. I haven't heard any smart money opinions on whether he's going to sign it or not after what happened Friday.

I don't know of pending legislation in any other states, but I hope my state is second and yours is third.

Contact your state Rep...

Also join and contribute to the GOA, SAF, JPFO, LEAA, and maybe, if you think the situation is dire enough, the NRA.

13 posted on 12/16/2012 6:59:10 PM PST by OKSooner

CBF
I agree with you

I just Faxed this to Senator Lieberman..... More gun control is “NOT” the answer!!

Senator Joe Lieberman

What can be done to stop school shootings??

If teachers would be allowed to Carry Conceal Weapons, (CCW permits) someone with a gun could have stopped ‘some’ of the carnage!!

Just knowing that Teachers “may” be armed might be a “Deterrent”!!

We can not have an armed policeman in every school; but, we can have “some” loving teachers who are willing to protect their students by carrying
a weapon concealed!!

With proper Training & Safety Instruction.....This may be our ANSWER!!

..... Some college campuses now allow CCW for students for “self protection”.

An Armed Society is a safe society!!

Will there still be some crazed people who will shoot others?.... YES!

But, most will be fearful of being shot themselves if they think people “Might” be carrying a gun!!.....

They will go to less protected places to carry out their vile acts!!... Not to our schools!

They do not allow citizens to own guns in China, but the crazy, evil people in the world will find a way to kill others if they want to do so.

http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china-stabbingsbre8bd065-20121213,0,5592318.story

On Friday Dec 14th,2012 same day as our School Massacre........... A man Slashed 22 Children with a knife in a School in China !!

By Terril Yue Jones
Reuters
1:48 a.m. EST, December 14, 2012

BEIJING (Reuters) - A knife-wielding man slashed 22 children and an adult at an elementary school in central China on Friday, state media reported, the latest in a .......series of attacks on “schoolchildren” in the country.

The man attacked the children at the gate of a school in Chenpeng village in Henan province, the Xinhua news agency reported.

Police arrested a 36-year-old man, identified as villager Min Yingjun, Xinhua said. It did not give further details of the extent of the injuries.

In 2010, a man slashed 28 children, two teachers and a security guard in a kindergarten in eastern China.

14 posted on 12/16/2012 7:03:43 PM PST by ebysan (ebysan)

Not that it is worth anything, but actress Kristen Bell tweets

https://twitter.com/IMKristenBell
what parent would send their kid to an elementary school where all the teachers were packing heat? get real larry. http://tinyurl.com/c8j64nr

BTW, she is expecting.

15 posted on 12/16/2012 7:04:11 PM PST by SMGFan (SMGfan is not "Sub Machine Gun" fan)

I have a Kindergartener. You can be her teacher any time you want!!!

16 posted on 12/16/2012 7:05:19 PM PST by surroundedbyblue (Live the message of Fatima - pray & do penance!)

I agree. I hate the thought that I am the last line of defense of those in my charge, and would be there only with the sharp end of a broken yardstick. The only time I do not have a gun around, is at work- and it would appear that might be the time it would be most needed.

17 posted on 12/16/2012 7:06:24 PM PST by GenXteacher (You have chosen dishonor to avoid war; you shall have war also.)

The liberals are having a blast dancing in the blood of these victims to try to disarm law-abiding Americans.

Obammie the Commie — the community agitator whose entire life and career has been built on hating America and hating whites — is using his best acting skills, using buzz words like ‘love’ to try to act like he cares about what happens. Meanwhile, he ran ASSAULT RIFLES guns to Mexican drug lords SO THAT THEY WOULD BE USED IN AMERICA AND HE COULD BAN THEM. MEANWHILE, HE RAN GUNS TO AL QAEDA AND IT BLEW UP IN BENGHAZI. Yet he sheds crocodile tears at this act of ‘gun violence.’

18 posted on 12/16/2012 7:07:45 PM PST by Ghost of Philip Marlowe (Prepare for survival.)

To: OKSooner

They arm pilots now, teachers are in a similar situation, albeit on the ground. I trust the police to respond, however, they can never provide protection as quickly as a first responder on site.

At a time when the nation will want meaningful discussion, I would offer a more practical and direct response.

19 posted on 12/16/2012 7:07:48 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I forgot to mention, if average people can be trained to be police officers and can be trained to use firearms effectively, I see no reason why teachers who want to be armed cannot be similarly trained.

It wouldn’t have to be every teacher, just those willing and able.

20 posted on 12/16/2012 7:08:55 PM PST by Ghost of Philip Marlowe (Prepare for survival.)

To: RandallFlagg

Thank you! My father had a similar comment; he suggested that schools ask off-duty, or retired LEO’s or military to volunteer and the need would be quickly met. Thank you for your service, and continued patriotism.

21 posted on 12/16/2012 7:10:34 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I agree. The caveat is that any teacher in a union should be disqualified from being armed. We’ve clearly seen just how deranged union goons are, most recently with the subhuman thug engaging in wanton violence during the Right to Work protest in Michigan. Unionistas should not the entrusted with either children or guns.

22 posted on 12/16/2012 7:10:51 PM PST by re_nortex (DP...that's what I like about Texas.)

To: GenXteacher; CBF

If I were a teacher and CCW certified...I’d carry...but make sure it was well hidden, and NEVER say a word.

23 posted on 12/16/2012 7:10:51 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: TurboZamboni

I agree. Gun-Free Zones are advertising to the nuts who are willing to commit these crimes, here we are, unarmed and waiting! Do as you will. Our society will produce more of these individuals, not fewer, and it has nothing to do with the 2nd. Amendment or guns, and everything to do with increased moral relativism.

24 posted on 12/16/2012 7:15:17 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: goodnesswins

I have a duty to set an example of being a law-abiding citizen, more so than other folks. I’ve certainly considered what you say though. I would rather we take a more sensible step and legalize something that ought to be second nature. In fact, I’d rather open carry- a better model of honest gun use for the students to see.

25 posted on 12/16/2012 7:19:32 PM PST by GenXteacher (You have chosen dishonor to avoid war; you shall have war also.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

Anyone remember these school children being attacked?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Chowchilla_kidnapping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cokeville_Elementary_School_hostage_crisis

26 posted on 12/16/2012 7:19:58 PM PST by Ruy Dias de Bivar (SAVE THE SUMATRAN RAT MONKEY!)

To: ebysan
We can not have an armed policeman in every school; but, we can have “some” loving teachers who are willing to protect their students by carrying a weapon concealed!!

I don't see why not. If it's a question of money, far better spending it on this than on Obama cronyism. At least as a temporary measure, it should be done tomorrow. A long term solution can be found ranging from the use of retired police officers/military members, to training teacher volunteers who either have CCW or are willing to obtain. Give such volunteers preference for selection to supervisory and administrative positions. Before long, the schools would be crawling with trained and motivated staff prepared to put a stop to this nonsense.

27 posted on 12/16/2012 7:19:58 PM PST by centurion316
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: GenXteacher

OPEN Carry is the LAW in Oregon....EXCEPT in Schools, and some other establishments....

28 posted on 12/16/2012 7:21:58 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

OPEN Carry is the LAW in Oregon....EXCEPT in Schools, and some other establishments....where NO CARRY AT ALL is the law

29 posted on 12/16/2012 7:22:22 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)

To: centurion316

That these types of crimes happen at all is a sad commentary on the decline of civility and lack of accountability which plagues our nation. Medicate, placate, and find something, anything to blame other than the behavior or root cause of the evil which persists despite our best hand-wringing and tearful speeches. An armed teacher may not be the perfect response, and like law enforcement, errors in execution might occur, but how many might be saved? If even one child were saved, the policy would be validated.

30 posted on 12/16/2012 7:22:32 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

I do understand your wanting to be law abiding....

31 posted on 12/16/2012 7:24:19 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)

Well put! This argument is one of the most effective I can think of to combat the coming storm of “common-sense” protections sure to be proffered in some ill-conceived knee-jerk response to Sandy Hook.

32 posted on 12/16/2012 7:25:51 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')

To: Ghost of Philip Marlowe

Never let a good crisis go to waste right? Keep your powder dry.

33 posted on 12/16/2012 7:27:31 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Ghost of Philip Marlowe

Yes, one or two could make all the difference. Most campuses, you can get from A to B in short order if you ran. Two armed teachers could respond in short order to most campus locations.

34 posted on 12/16/2012 7:31:21 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

It took me 6 years to get my teaching license and endorsement, and cost me $80,000 in tuition. I have two undergrad degrees and a masters. All for a starting salary of $40,000 a year... Lol, maybe I am the crazy one... That said, I would not jeopardize my career, or my ability to own guns, by breaking the law. The law needs to be changed to allow responsible people to protect our kids first hand.

35 posted on 12/16/2012 7:36:54 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')

I totally agree; especially with your keywords: "properly trained teachers..."

Training is imperative. I take at least one 'continuing education' training class a year to learn new skills, stay sharp, and have fun with serious, like-minded shooters.

36 posted on 12/16/2012 7:37:56 PM PST by Cobra64 (Common sense isn't common anymore.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I'm with you. Too many people never learn hot to "run the gun" safely and effectively. As I'm sure you've seen, any fool can pull a trigger with some endangering themselves and others. A good two day class at a minimum is what my family and friends attend before I shoot with them on a regular basis.

37 posted on 12/16/2012 7:42:47 PM PST by Cobra64 (Common sense isn't common anymore.)

I practice open carry outside the school environment, concealed when warranted. I agree, a law abiding citizen with a gun should not cause unfounded fear in people. The left media and our government would like nothing more than to fuel that fear, and have people’s reaction to be a call to the police to report a dangerous person, rather than taking comfort in the fact that someone is willing to protect themselves and others should need be.

38 posted on 12/16/2012 7:47:10 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')

To: centurion316

For me it s not a question of money, I’d bear the cost myself.

39 posted on 12/16/2012 7:49:46 PM PST by CBF ('Behind every blade of grass.')
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]

To: Recovering Ex-hippie
the PLO was responsible for the Maalot High School Massacre on May 15, 1974, when Palestinian terrorists infiltrated an Israeli school, massacring twenty-six children and adults and wounding sixty-six others.

But that was OK with the Democrats, as seen later...

40 posted on 12/16/2012 7:51:17 PM PST by Dogbert41 (What now?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

“Yes, one or two could make all the difference. Most campuses, you can get from A to B in short order if you ran. Two armed teachers could respond in short order to most campus locations.”

I just wonder how many unemployed combat vets there are in the U.S. who would be happy to sit on their butts during the school day, armed, earning $15 or so per hour?

41 posted on 12/16/2012 7:56:04 PM PST by Rembrandt (Part of the 51% who pay Federal taxes)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

“If I were a teacher and CCW certified...I’d carry...but make sure it was well hidden, and NEVER say a word.”

We admire your words, but you might be looking at a felony if you got caught and definite loss of your career. That’s why the laws need to be changed.

42 posted on 12/16/2012 7:58:12 PM PST by BobL (Did you know that the Chinese now buy close to twice as many new cars as Americans each year?)

see posts 29 and 31....

43 posted on 12/16/2012 8:05:22 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 35 | View Replies]

I understand, many of us would do so. The lawyers, on the other hand, would throw a conniption fit on grounds of liability. It would have to be an employee, so volunteers would have to be like you, already employees of the school district.

44 posted on 12/16/2012 8:07:33 PM PST by centurion316
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: Rembrandt

“I just wonder how many unemployed combat vets there are in the U.S. who would be happy to sit on their butts during the school day, armed, earning $15 or so per hour?”

Nice sentiment, but I’m sure the teachers’ union would intervene and make sure the school district can’t afford them.

45 posted on 12/16/2012 8:31:15 PM PST by Avid Coug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: BobL

That is what I was thinking.

The union won’t let them fire anyone.

But I’d bet they would allow it for a “gun toting wild west teacher”

46 posted on 12/16/2012 8:46:54 PM PST by cableguymn (The founding fathers would be shooting by now..)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: cableguymn

“The union won’t let them fire anyone. But I’d bet they would allow it for a “gun toting wild west teacher””

Even the union couldn’t help here if they wanted. You have what’s likely a criminal violation, maybe a felony. Plus, you have this one person violating the entire construct of a “safe school” by having a gun there. Yes, he can claim it’s to protect the kids against those monsters outside (which is true), but no one would believe him.

47 posted on 12/16/2012 9:18:30 PM PST by BobL (Did you know that the Chinese now buy close to twice as many new cars as Americans each year?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

They’ll likely say, “No,” but it’s the most I can do.

They will say "No" just because the law does not allow anyone except peace officers to be armed on school grounds. But, like crossing guards, this position may be in fact a good idea when so many lunatics are kicked out of asylums to live their "eventful" lives among the more sane population.

48 posted on 12/16/2012 11:01:59 PM PST by Greysard

To: SMGFan

The same actress who refuses to get married until gays can. Very cute, but very deranged.

49 posted on 12/17/2012 12:56:15 AM PST by fieldmarshaldj (Resist We Much)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Maybe someone should tell Lieberman that in Israel, some staff in schools are armed and there hans’t been a school shooting since 1974.

50 posted on 12/17/2012 5:31:44 AM PST by Recovering Ex-hippie (Go Galt!)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-53 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson