Skip to comments.150 million people set to fall into 'extreme poverty' due to COVID pandemic, World Bank warns
Posted on 10/16/2020 7:46:25 AM PDT by CheshireTheCat
The World Bank has warned that 150 million people could fall into extreme poverty by the end of 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic and accompanying global recession with the levels of global poverty set to rise for the first time in 20 years.
In a new Poverty and Shared Prosperity Report, the organization said that between 9.1% and 9.4% would be affected by extreme poverty, which is defined by the group as living on under $1.90 a day. Had the pandemic not hit, the rate was forecast to fall to 7.9% this year...
(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...
I just pointed this out on and posted an article similar to this one to my office's SharePoint site. I did this as a way of informing the Karens there who are in favor of more lockdowns about the ramifications of these lockdowns.
And the UN will order the US to bail everybody out.
Cant imagine why the WHO all of a sudden found lock-downs to not be a good idea anymore...
150 million in the United States will be in extreme poverty is Biden/Harris win it.
150 million people could fall into extreme poverty by the end of 2021
Because Demonrats clamored for shut down of economy to trash Trump and get mail in voting
The only way this will cause poverty and recession is if the global communistas get away what closing the world down.
Due to the pandemic, or due to the government-mandated lockdowns in response to the pandemic?
There is an extremely easy solution. Publicly proclaim that the worst of the pandemic is over and people can return to their lives as normal. The vulnerable should still take the same precautions not to be infected as they would the flu.
Illusion of wealth propped up by massive currency pumping, Like running dragster on nitromethane, works great, until it doesnt
Not our problem.
We are only 5% of the world population and have been carrying most of the other 95% on our backs since the end of World War II.
Time to end the welfare.
Imagine what we could have done for America and American citizens with the many,many trillions of dollars that have been pee’d away on Eiurope, Asia and Africa.
We started and paid for most of the U.N. and other international organizations to address multi-national issues.
Instead, most of them have just become another self interested group trying to milk and screw American taxpayers at the same time.
Enough already !!!
Why haven’t we nuked the Chicoms yet?
The solution is simple, but like our tax code it HAS to be complicated so the lemmings can't understand it.
Not saying it’s our problem.
Just saying there is an opportunity here to educate some people if you post something like this yourself outside of FR.
There are better articles out there—articles that explain how the shutdowns impact supply lines in 3rd world countries and sustenance farmers. I think I posted one myself a week ago here on FR, but I don’t have time to hunt for it right now.
I just happened to see something in early this morning about tomorrow being World Poverty Day and decided to take advantage of the opportunity it presented.
Just imagine the Mess if the UN was the World Government
All according to plan I imagine.
Say the reason: millions of people have been thrown out of work. Productivity is down.
You have got to have people working! That’s the only way to prosperity! Expecting a handout from the government is stupid. The government doesn’t create money. It only collects it and redistributes it. When the government “creates” money it is creating banknotes with no backing in real value.
Not due to the pandemic.
Due to irresponsible government overreaction to the pandemic.
It was all artificial. It didn’t have to be this way. Such an extreme reaction to a virus that actually has fairly low virulence. History will not be kind to the people that shut the world down and destroyed the lives of 10s of millions for political games.
Savannah see you next Tuesday said last night, 2 million would have passed away if we did nothing. Does she mean not locking down or what is the premise of that??
150 million seems small according to the overall totals in the article....
“Overall, levels of extreme poverty have been steadily falling over the past quarter of a decade. 1.9 billion people lived in extreme poverty in 1990, compared to 689 million in 2017, according to the group.”
It’s still something we want to avoid. But I’m not sure we can. People aren’t working because of the pandemic so poverty will rise.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.