Skip to comments.Iraq demands 'clear timeline' for US withdrawal
Posted on 08/10/2008 3:23:07 PM PDT by traumer
BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraq's foreign minister insisted Sunday that any security deal with the United States must contain a "very clear timeline" for the departure of U.S. troops. A suicide bomber struck north of Baghdad, killing at least five people including an American soldier.
Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told reporters that American and Iraqi negotiators were "very close" to reaching a long-term security agreement that will set the rules for U.S. troops in Iraq after the U.N. mandate expires at the end of the year.
Zebari said the Iraqis were insisting that the agreement include a "very clear timeline" for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces, but he refused to talk about specific dates.
"We have said that this is a condition-driven process," he added, suggesting that the departure schedule could be modified if the security situation changed.
But Zebari made clear that the Iraqis would not accept a deal that lacks a timeline for the end of the U.S. military presence.
"No, no definitely there has to be a very clear timeline," Zebari replied when asked if the Iraqis would accept an agreement that did not mention dates.
Differences over a withdrawal timetable has become one of the most contentious issues remaining in the talks, which began early this year. U.S. and Iraqi negotiators missed a July 31 target date for completing the deal, which must be approved by Iraq's parliament.
President Bush has steadfastly refused to accept any timetable for bringing U.S. troops home. Last month, however, Bush and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki agreed to set a "general time horizon" for a U.S. departure.
(Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com ...
Twenty per cent of their output for the next Twenty years at Twenty dollars per barrel.
I don’t see that they’re in a position to demand anything. That said, I agree with the twenty-twenty proposition.
Pure political BS.
Some people have short memories. There are two decision points in the rotation pattern. September for reductions by end-year and March for reductions by end-July.
The timeline already exists and was briefed last September by General Petraius.
- 12 combat Brigades with half in overwatch and half partnered by end-2008.
- If things go well that changes to 10 combat Brigades in overwatch by July-2009.
- If they continue to go well then 7 combat Brigades in overwatch by end-2009.
- If still continue well, then 5 combat brigades covering the primary airbases by July-2010. Air cover by US necissary until 2019-2020 per the Iraqi MoD.
The negotiation is over how much slack on the decision points.
The decision in September to reduce to 12 has already been made. The three BCTs that are not being replaced have already been identified. One USMC RCT, 3/101 BCT, and 1/10 BCT. The alerted BCTs that would have replaced are going to Afghanistan instead.
I can't get packed that quickly. ;-)
And this information is being somewhat skewed...they're not demanding a total withdrawal, but an eventual drawdown based on the security situation.
It's not quite time yet, but things are markedly improved when you consider '05, '06 and the first half of '07.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.