Skip to comments.11 Hurt in Blast at Cancun Hotel (accumulation of gases)
Posted on 06/17/2008 6:00:10 PM PDT by Coffee200am
Cancun, Mexico, Jun 17 (EFE).- An explosion Tuesday in the kitchen of a hotel in this Caribbean tourist mecca left 11 people injured, two of them seriously, authorities said.
The Red Cross and the police told reporters that about 3:30 a.m. they received a report of a fire in the Gran Caribe Real hotel.
An initial inspection of the site showed that the explosion originated because of an accumulation of gases in the area where the employee dining rooms are, which makes up part of the hotel's kitchen.
The incident forced authorities to evacuate the tourists whose rooms were near the affected area.
Nine of the injured were taken to a hospital in Cancun, where medical authorities found that two of them were in serious condition and suffering from second and third degree burns.
The Red Cross said that among the injured are two teenagers who were working as kitchen and dishwashing assistants.
One of the tourists treated for a nervous crisis as a result of the incident also showed mild symptoms of poisoning by toxic gases, sources said. EFE
That is what happens when you eat mexican food.
They'd better start making triage preparations in Colorado.
it was the burritos.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.