Posted on 03/13/2008 1:09:48 PM PDT by Ernest_at_the_Beach
Three men were due in court Thursday for allegedly smuggling a boatload of illegal immigrants who were stranded without food or water for three days off the San Diego coast.
The three were among 15 people aboard a rickety 24-foot boat rescued Wednesday 12 miles off the San Diego coast and 20 miles north of the Mexican border, according to Customs and Border Protection.
The trip started in a fishing village near Playas de Rosarito, said Mike Unzueta, the lead U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigator in San Diego. The smugglers switched boats on Mexico's Coronado Islands but the boat's engine died about 20 minutes after they left.
Three passengers on the boat were held as material witnesses, the rest were being sent home to Mexico or El Salvador.
Passengers said they agreed to pay $4,000 each for the trip, said Lauren Mack, an ICE spokeswoman.
(Excerpt) Read more at pe.com ...
fyi
I'm generally very cautious about the death penalty, but for coyotes I might be persuaded to make an exception.
Wonder how much drugs are shipped in by submarine?..
Were these upscale illegals? It would seem $4000 is a lot to ante up for maritime coyotes.
....more of the same....
Little Neck murder is linked to rape
BY VICTOR G. MIMONI
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:39 PM EDT
Five people from Great Neck are facing charges ranging from murder to evidence tampering in the 2007 Christmas-night killing of a Little Neck pizzeria worker - less than a year after one of them copped a plea for a 2006 rape and robbery just blocks from the murder scene - and was deported to El Salvador, after serving less than six months in jail.
Balmore Rodriguez, 21; his brother Jose Oswaldo Rodriguez, 19 and nephew Santos Rodriguez, 19 - all of 63 Allen Drive in Great Neck are accused of murdering 35-year-old Little Neck resident Domingo Hernandez.
Sixteen-year-old Rosana Juarez Avalos is charged with manslaughter for her role in the incident.
An unresponsive Hernandez was found lying face up in a pool of blood on the morning of December 26, in the handball court of Admiral Park, a playground across the street from P.S. 94 in Little Neck.
He had been stabbed in the torso, slashed and bludgeoned in the face and was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to Queens DA Richard A. Brown, Avalos phoned Hernandez at about 10:30 Christmas night. After a conversation described by the victims roommates as flirtatious, he left their apartment at 251-20 Northern Boulevard, to meet her.
Avalos allegedly lured Hernandez to the park, which is four blocks from the victims apartment, where the trio lay in wait.
Brown alleges that they beat and stabbed the victim, then fled with the girl, who is being tried as an adult. The men are charged with murder and weapons possession.
The all four defendants were all denied bail and remanded to jail after their arraignments. According to a source close to the investigation, The victim and the [alleged] perpetrators are all from the same village in El Salvador. He was just a working man. They are [allegedly] MS-13 gang members.
Balmore Rodriguez is also charged with tampering with evidence, as is Adelfa Rodriguez, 28, who also gave the Allen Drive address.
According to Brown, she allegedly assisted Balmore in disposing of his bloody clothing, and threatened a witness to that event, saying that she would cause serious physical injury to said person.
Adelfa Rodriquez has been in jail since her arraignment on January 24, unable to post the $100,000 bail set by Judge Mary ODonoghue.
On June 15, 2006, Jose R. Rodriguez was arrested and charged in the June 14 rape and robbery of a young mother behind the now-demolished Patricks Pub, which had been located at 252-12 Northern Boulevard in Little Neck.
It was alleged in published reports citing the DA that Rodriguez, approached the victim and put a knife to the womans throat and forced her into the building, where he raped and sodomized her.
The reports also quote police as saying, The suspect then took $200 from the victim before he fled.
A spokesperson at the DAs office confirmed that Balmore Rodriguez, one of the accused murderers of Domingo Hernandez, was in fact the defendant in the 2006 case and had been charged with Rape, Sodomy [Criminal Sexual Contact] and Robbery, all in the first degree. His bail had been set at $250,000.
A police source close to the investigation said that the victim was an illegal immigrant and went back to her country, so the case fell apart.
On January 11, 2007, Rodriguez, who had been in jail since his arrest, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and was sentenced to time served. If convicted of rape, he would have faced up to 25 years in prison.
Rodriguez was handed over to immigration authorities and deported to El Salvador in April. He lost no time getting right back here, said the source.
Scott Dufault, the attorney in the 2006 case, told The Queens Courier that he is not representing Balmore Rodriguez now. He said that he could not recall the details of his case.
The murder victim shared an apartment with several other men, which is located around the corner from where the 2006 rape took place. When asked if there was a direct connection between the two crimes, the source said, We definitely believe so.
http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2008/03/12/news/top_stories/news13.txt
Why drag theboatload of them to San Diego?
Why not arrest the three smugglers then drag the boat with the rest of them back to the Mexican coast and let them wade ashore there?
Wonder how much drugs are shipped in by submarine?..
Sounds like this was about to become a submarine with wet wetbacks.
Ping.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.