Skip to comments.New Group Fidelis Launches New Howard Dean Ad In Roll Call
Posted on 06/30/2005 7:54:37 AM PDT by sremoj
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Brian Burch June 30, 2005 734-358-3433 email@example.com
New Ads Accuse Dean of Religious Bigotry Fidelis Promises to Defend Faith of Judicial Nominees
WASHINGTON Fidelis, a new Catholic-based organization, today launched an advertising campaign in the run-up to the Senate confirmation hearings to fill a Supreme Court vacancy. Their initial round of ads are beginning in Washington, D.C. and cite the role that anti-religious bigotry has played in recent Senate confirmation battles. The newspaper ad highlights religiously intolerant remarks by Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, and calls on him to keep religion out of future Supreme Court confirmation hearings.
Fidelis President Joseph Cella stated: This is the opening salvo in the Supreme Court confirmation battle that will likely commence any time in the next year. By shining a bright light on these outrageously intolerant remarks we hope to put an end to them or at lease deter others from embracing them. Thats why we will be airing ads in Washington, D.C. and the home states of those who practice this vile brand of hate politics.
The first ad includes a quote from Dean referring to Conservative Christians at a June 6, 2005 press conference in San Francisco, saying: They are not very friendly to different kinds of people they all behave the same and they all look the same. The second round of advertising begins next week in Nevada.
The ads cite the precedent of William Pryor who faced similar bigoted attacks during his confirmation hearings. Cella added: Bill Pryor was routinely vilified for having deeply-held religious beliefs, he was mocked for living those beliefs, and faced sharply abusive rhetoric before he was finally confirmed to the federal bench. Given this history, we are anticipating that when a Supreme Court vacancy occurs, the religious faith of any potential nominee will play a large role in the debate over his or her confirmation.
Cella stated: It is vital that we expose this trend of anti-religious bigotry before it is used against any nominee. It will not go unanswered. Catholics and all people of faith must join together and defend Supreme Court nominees who will likely be attacked because of their faith and deeply-held beliefs.
Certain members of the United States Senate have a track record of dragging nominees through the mud because they practice their faith. It is unconstitutional, and we are drawing a line in the sand. Everyone, Republican, Democrat or Independent, engaged in smearing a persons faith will be held accountable, stated Cella.
Cella said A judicial candidate promising to uphold the law is not enough for many Senators. In order to disqualify a particular judicial candidate, some Senators have resorted to a quasi-inquisition of a candidates personal religious beliefs, and that cannot be tolerated.
The first print ad is available online at www.fidelis.org.
Fidelis is a Catholic-based organization working with people of faith across the country to defend and promote the sanctity of life, traditional marriage, and the right to religious liberty by electing pro-life, pro-family and pro-religious liberty candidates, supporting the confirmation of judges, and promoting and defending laws consistent with the Founding principles of the United States.
Dean makes it just too easy.
Christian beliefs have no place in Government unless they are 'socialist' Christian beliefs like Jesse Jackson and Mario Cuomo (Ted Kennedy), +_Pelosi profess. For example :
Acceptable : Jesus was for the poor so Rome should seize the merchant's assets, keep 95% and set up government programs for the poor with the rest 5%.
Unacceptable : Jesus was against killing Babies and wants us to 'freely' give to the poor.
Fidelis looks like an interesting organization.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.