Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

NY Times publishes inside-plane photos of shoe-bomb incident
The New York Times ^ | Dec 30, 2001 | NY Times

Posted on 12/30/2001 12:00:51 PM PST by the_second_moon

Jean-Claude Joly was sitting a few rows back from Richard C. Reid on Flight 63 from Paris to Miami on Dec. 22 when the plane erupted in confusion after Mr. Reid tried to light a fuse coming out of his sneaker. Mr. Joly grabbed his camera and captured the scene in these photos, purchased by The New York Times after they were made available on Friday. In this first picture, about eight passengers used belts and earphone wires to tie up Mr. Reid. They would later say they thought he was drunk.

A flight attendant searched the small knapsack that was Mr. Reid's only luggage and found a passport identifying him as a British citizen.

Two doctors, including the man in red, then injected Mr. Reid with a sedative from the on-board medical kit.

The plane was diverted to Boston, and in the two hours of flight remaining, passengers including Kwame James, a professional basketball player, took turns standing guard over Mr. Reid. Mr. James later said he was amazed at how difficult it was to restrain Mr. Reid. "He was almost possessed," Mr. James said.

TOPICS: Announcements; Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: aaflight63
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-63 next last

1 posted on 12/30/2001 12:00:52 PM PST by the_second_moon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: the_second_moon
Can you trust that these are really pictures from the shoe bomb incident? Why are there no pictures of the guy who had the bomb?
2 posted on 12/30/2001 12:04:42 PM PST by illbenice
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Thank God these people responded as quickly as they did. Given the chance this is how average citizens are compelled to act in these times of uncertainty. Bravo to all those who acted quickly and decisively.
3 posted on 12/30/2001 12:06:43 PM PST by Damocles

To: illbenice
Can you trust that these are really pictures from the shoe bomb incident? Why are there no pictures of the guy who had the bomb?

The tourist guy confiscated them. Along with Inspector Harry Callahan.

4 posted on 12/30/2001 12:08:06 PM PST by jrherreid
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Yeah, it looks like a skit I saw on SNL. gittagrip.

5 posted on 12/30/2001 12:08:25 PM PST by steveo

Two doctors, including the man in red, then injected Mr. Reid with a sedative from the on-board medical kit.

About 12 CC of air would have done a better job than the sedative.
6 posted on 12/30/2001 12:08:56 PM PST by aruanan

To: steveo
God forbid you question something.
7 posted on 12/30/2001 12:13:11 PM PST by illbenice
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: jrherreid
It's a conspiracy, I tell you.
8 posted on 12/30/2001 12:14:43 PM PST by denydenydeny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: denydenydeny
That is not what I am insinuating. I dont wear a tin hat, I just wonderd why the guy didnt snap a pic of the dirt bag?
9 posted on 12/30/2001 12:17:03 PM PST by illbenice
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Damocles
"...Bravo to all those who acted quickly and decisively..."

Every would-be world conqueror, each in their time, has to re-learn the same lesson...

The only people we Americans despise more than each other are the foreign bastards who would attempt to take advantage of that fractiousness in order to enslave or kill us.

Monkey with us and we learn fast, and hit back hard.

And we don't waste any time dispatching our enemies...

We're too anxious to get back to brawling with each other to be willing to piss away a lot of time dealing with some damned dumb-ass outlanders.

10 posted on 12/30/2001 12:23:03 PM PST by DWSUWF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

"Can you trust that these are really pictures from the shoe bomb incident?"

Yes, I can. What a shame that you can not. Paranoia can be treated once you get beyond denial.

11 posted on 12/30/2001 12:30:18 PM PST by Buffalo Head

That is not what I am insinuating. I dont wear a tin hat, I just wonderd why the guy didnt snap a pic of the dirt bag?

Perhaps the guy did take pics of the perp, but the NYT who paid money for the pics didn't feel like giving them ALL away for free on their website. Without having a paper subscription, I cannot say they may have published pics of the perp there where people would have to shell out money to see them.

12 posted on 12/30/2001 12:34:16 PM PST by cidrasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

This guy is not going to win any awards for photography.

I wonder how much he suckered out of those leftist morons at the NYT.

The shot of the flight attendant holding the passport was good.

Is being gay a requirement for male flight attendants or is it some kind of conspiracy?

13 posted on 12/30/2001 12:37:53 PM PST by Rome2000

Right on! Bravo to the determined actions of the passengers. Another bunch of heroes.
14 posted on 12/30/2001 12:46:50 PM PST by Lady Jag

To: Rome2000
Looks like there were plenty of willing people who stood up (literally) in the aisles and were ready to help.

And no, you don't have to be gay to be a male flight attendant, but you have to be willing to learn :-)
15 posted on 12/30/2001 12:47:12 PM PST by fnord
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

That wasn't a flight attendant, that was the first officer of the airplane.
16 posted on 12/30/2001 12:47:32 PM PST by SBeck

LOL!

Cidrasm, good point.

17 posted on 12/30/2001 12:49:09 PM PST by illbenice

To: DWSUWF
"Monkey with us and we learn fast, and hit back hard. And we don't waste any time dispatching our enemies... We're too anxious to get back to brawling with each other to be willing to piss away a lot of time dealing with some damned dumb-ass outlanders."

Well said, well said!!!

18 posted on 12/30/2001 1:01:04 PM PST by Sueann
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

The old, "don't do anything rash and you will be okay" scenario is gone. Every situation must be treated as if it meant death if you DIDN'T act.
19 posted on 12/30/2001 1:05:23 PM PST by Blood of Tyrants

Maybe he didn't snap a pic of the dirt bag because he was at the bottom of a pile of hero's. I wouldn't want to walk right up to the situation with a camera when all those high emotions are in full play. In fact it does look like he waited until dirt bag had been subdued and still didn't want to get too close to the situation.
20 posted on 12/30/2001 1:07:26 PM PST by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-63 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson