Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Nevada allows out-of-state residents to apply for CCW permits
? | ? | Nevada State Legislature

Posted on 12/14/2001 5:07:03 PM PST by umgud

Senate Bill 20, allowing nonresidents to obtain a Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit has been signed into law by the Governor and is effective October 1st, 2001.

SB20 allows any nonresident to apply for a Concealed Firearms Permit from any Nevada Sheriff. Applicants must take a firearms safety course approved by the Sheriff and pass an approved course of fire with the handguns to be listed on the permit. The applicant must fill out an application, provide fingerprinting and photographing. The Sheriff has up to 120 days to issue the permit. Fees not exceeding $99 will be paid to the Sheriff. The permit is good for 3 years and is honored in 9 states (Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky and Vermont).

TOPICS: Government; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: banglist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last
My dad sent this to me. He holds a Nevada CCW and I hold a Calif CCW. I may go do this. I spend a lot of time in Nevada and do some hunting in some of the other sates who have reciprocity.
1 posted on 12/14/2001 5:07:03 PM PST by umgud (umgud@aol.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: umgud; bang_list
bang
2 posted on 12/14/2001 5:11:33 PM PST by SteveH
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: umgud
Thank you, Nevada!
3 posted on 12/14/2001 5:26:50 PM PST by Standing Wolf

To: Standing Wolf
Sanity in gov't
4 posted on 12/14/2001 5:30:48 PM PST by umgud
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Very good.. now how about reciprocity with Florida?
5 posted on 12/14/2001 5:33:21 PM PST by Mulder

Check out Packing.org for info about CCW in the different states and recprocity, too. Florida will issue a permit through the mail (with finger prints done by your local law informent agency) that is recognized by at least 16 different states, one of which is neighboring Arizona. Unfortunately, Nevada dosn't recognize any other state's permits.
6 posted on 12/14/2001 5:39:38 PM PST by cleancutguy

To: cleancutguy
I'll go to your link later, but do you know if any other state recognizes CA permits?
7 posted on 12/14/2001 5:46:23 PM PST by umgud
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

The carry permit process makes me nervous. Once you have applied and are "in the system", it would make it easier in the future for a government to locate you and your weapons and impose further controls or consfication.

I'm not in circumstances currently which make carrying necessary. But in the past when those circumstances existed I felt that discreet carry was better than dealing with the permit process. Just my opinion.

8 posted on 12/14/2001 5:47:21 PM PST by JoeFromCA

FWIW, if Wisconsin's AB675 EVER passes, Wi. will have reciprocity with ALL CCW licensee States.
9 posted on 12/14/2001 5:50:44 PM PST by ninenot

To: JoeFromCA
Discreet carry without a permit?

Guns are a big part of my life. Shooting competition, hunting, just plain fun, and self-defense. My CCW probably doesn't expose me to big brother any more than the system I have to go thru to buy guns. I don't and won't jeapordize my ability to own guns.

10 posted on 12/14/2001 5:58:08 PM PST by umgud
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

We're making small but steady advances.

The out of state carry law in FL is similar. I hold a CCW in GA and FL allows reciprocity. Because I hope to return to FL to live someday, I'd like to get a CCW for FL as well. It's a bit pricey, plus the cost of the certification which was not necessary for the GA permit.

For now, when I visit, I will just rely on the reciprocity laws. But, someday I look forward to all 52 states having CCW AND reciprocity in all 52 states!

11 posted on 12/14/2001 5:58:32 PM PST by dansangel

Yep,
Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, and Utah.
12 posted on 12/14/2001 5:59:02 PM PST by cleancutguy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: JoeFromCA
Once you have applied and are "in the system", it would make it easier in the future for a government to locate you and your weapons and impose further controls or consfication.

I've thought about that also. Here are some of my conclusions:

1) For every person that gets a CCW permit, that increases the 'political clout' of gun-owners. Here in Florida, there are 250,000 people with CCW licenses. Politicians are going to think twice before passing any legislation that negatively impacts that many constitients.

2) If they want to locate gun owners, there are numerous other ways to do it. 4473 forms, surveillance outside gun ranges, monitoring internet boards that are firearm-related, etc......

3) I look at a CCW permit as a way of me "bribing" the state so that I don't get harassed for exercising my Constitutional and unalienable rights to keep and bear arms. Once I cough up the money, they leave me alone, and I leave them alone.

13 posted on 12/14/2001 6:00:16 PM PST by Mulder
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: .45MAN
PING*
14 posted on 12/14/2001 6:01:20 PM PST by dansangel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Everyone seems to think this is such a great thing for Nevada to ALLOW us to carry in their state with a license. What gives Nevada, any state, or any government to RIGHT to ALLOW us to carry. Not how I read the constitution. Don't allow yourself to be lulled to sleep.
15 posted on 12/14/2001 6:10:21 PM PST by schaketo

You may wish to look up and see for yourself the fact that Arizona does NOT recognize a Florida CCw. A non-resident can obtain an AZ CCW, but only after taking a two-day course in AZ or possibly now/someday in Utah. I hope this helps.. P.S. -- AZ is an open-carry state, so why sweat it??
16 posted on 12/14/2001 6:13:51 PM PST by tracer

How in the world do you get a CCW in CA? And can you carry throughout the state? Sure ain't in the cards where I live.
17 posted on 12/14/2001 6:18:13 PM PST by LibWhacker

I see Nevada still has that obnoxious provision that you're only allowed to carry guns that have been listed on the permit. That's very annoying for those of us whose taste in carry guns changes faster than men's clothing styles.
18 posted on 12/14/2001 6:19:08 PM PST by RogueIsland

To: LibWhacker
The state of CA allows for CCW permits but local jurisdictions actually issue them (under state law). The CA CCW permit is good throughout the state. I live in a semi-rural county and the sheriff is very conservative and is pro-gun. I doubt you'd get a CCW from the Berkley or San Francisco areas. CCW's in CA generally follow the same red/blue election maps and lib-dem counties and cities just don't hand them out.
19 posted on 12/14/2001 6:26:32 PM PST by umgud
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: LibWhacker
How in the world do you get a CCW in CA?

Maybe we should ask Diane Fienstine(?) how she did it.

20 posted on 12/14/2001 6:36:11 PM PST by pcl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson