Russia backs U.S. gun-control advocates
WorldNetDaily.com ^ | By Toby Westerman

Posted on 12/13/2001 9:48:59 AM PST by expose

WEAPONS OF CHOICE

Russia backs U.S. gun-control advocates

Claims firearm manufacturers profit from Americans' fears

By Toby Westerman

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

Making a link between U.S. gun sales and "global instability," Moscow has lent its support to American gun-control advocates.

Russia supports restrictions on U.S. gun ownership, according to official sources, pointing out that after the events of Sept. 11 gun sales in the United States increased.

The blame for increased gun sales, according to Moscow and anti-gun activists, lies with gun manufacturers.

"American firearms manufacturers saw their chance at profiting from the tragedy of people scared of threats from international terrorists," Moscow declared. Asserting that "a nationwide campaign has been launched to advertise pistols and guns," Moscow referred to a recent press conference held to "draw attention to gun makers' marketing efforts." The event included participation by Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and Nan Aron, president of the Alliance for Justice.

The statements were reported by the Voice of Russia World Service, the official broadcasting service of the Russian government.

The broadcast referred to two instances of the criminal use of firearms in the U.S. – a shooting in Indiana and the arrest of an individual for illegal possession of weapons near the White House – and declared that the crimes were "facts testifying to the spread of small arms in the country."

Moscow also constructed a strained connection between terrorists and gun-sales campaigns following 9-11. After noting that the U.S. State Department has threatened to deport aliens connected with some 39 organizations suspected of assisting terrorist groups, the link was made to gun sales.

"There are still a large number of people in the United States who could use the gun-sales campaign for criminal purposes," Moscow reasoned, and then called for "certain measures inside the United States, which would obstruct the terrorist activity."

Observers note that, since using weapons for criminal purposes is – by definition – illegal, Moscow's reference to "certain measures inside the United States" translates into restrictions on gun ownership for U.S. citizens.

The sale of a "United We Stand" 9-millimeter pistol – patterned after those used by U.S. military personnel – by the U.S. division of the Italian arms maker Beretta irked both Moscow and participants in the anti-gun news conference.

Beretta's promise to pay a portion of the sale of each pistol to survivors and relatives of the Sept. 11 attacks was particularly irritating to the gun-control advocates.

Moscow cited remarks from firearms opponent Aron who condemned Beretta's contribution offer, stating that "we shouldn't seek to help the victims of one senseless tragedy by increasing the likelihood of more senseless tragedies."

Moscow added that "the spread of small arms causes concern in many countries," and referred to a recent conference in the Russian capital linking "global instability with the spread of small arms."

The anti-gun activists with whom Moscow found close agreement are strengthening their efforts and are attempting to make the anti-gun movement into a youth crusade.

Aron's group, the Alliance for Justice, has opened a new website, Gun Industry Watch, dedicated to monitoring the "gun industry and the National Rifle Association."

The new anti-gun group proclaims itself to be "a new student watchdog network" that will examine "the manufacturing, marketing and sale of guns." The group promises to "take direct action aimed at gun makers and the gun lobby," including "exposing and boycotting corporate partners and sponsors of the gun lobby."

Gun Industry Watch claims that it is the "fastest growing student network in the country."

Moscow's connection of U.S. gun sales to problems of "global stability" are not new. In late July, the U.N. Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons concluded its deliberations.

Due to substantial U.S. pressure, the conference refrained from issuing a global call for "regulation on the ownership of small arms."

Observers note that many of the nations at the conference have placed severe small arms restrictions on their populations, and many of these same governments – as well as the leaders of these governments themselves – are regularly accused of murder, fraud and intimidation of their defenseless citizens.

TOPICS: Breaking News; Crime/Corruption; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: banglist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-90 next last

1 posted on 12/13/2001 9:48:59 AM PST by expose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: expose
some habits die hard dont they Russia?
2 posted on 12/13/2001 9:51:39 AM PST by smith288
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

WOW!!! A Communist government against private citizens having weapons. Now I've heard EVERYTHING!!
3 posted on 12/13/2001 9:52:28 AM PST by Puppage

Russians still don't get the fact that if only the government has guns, people are controlled by government. When they fully understand our Constitution, they will understand that we, the people, are to have the power(guns) to control government, if such government fails to serve US.
4 posted on 12/13/2001 9:52:59 AM PST by d14truth

To: d14truth
Gun control is dead as an issue in this country since 9-11.
5 posted on 12/13/2001 9:54:13 AM PST by Howlin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Oh . . . this makes sense.

Hey, were the Taliban using AR-15s or Kalashnikovs?

6 posted on 12/13/2001 9:54:18 AM PST by wideawake

1. Do not tell us how to run our country, communists. You nearly ran yours into the ground.

2. Despite the strictest gun control in the world, when I was in Russia I was offered a Makarov pistol for $50.00 and a full-auto AK-74 for $100.00. RPG-7's were also available for a little more.

3. Finally, and most important: IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO CONTRIBUTE TO ANTI-GUN GROUPS, LOOKS LIKE YOU WON'T NEED ANY OF OUR FINANCIAL AID ANY MORE.

7 posted on 12/13/2001 9:54:57 AM PST by Lazamataz

To: d14truth
They understand all too well...
8 posted on 12/13/2001 9:55:06 AM PST by Russ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I find it hard to believe that the government of Russia would have any concern over Americans exercising their constitutional rights. I know this was on the "Voice of Russia" broadcast, but it doesn't necessarily mean that this is the official position of the Russian government. More likely, it was an opinion piece from some foolish liberal college student. Yeah, the Russians have them too.
9 posted on 12/13/2001 9:55:11 AM PST by SamAdams76

NO SHOCK HERE.
10 posted on 12/13/2001 9:55:24 AM PST by NC Conservative

I wish I could have been born 85 years ago so I wouldn't have to live through this crap. I'm only 21 right now, so with increased medical technology and my good health, I'll probably be forced to live through the bulk of the 21st century. Just kill me now.
11 posted on 12/13/2001 9:56:39 AM PST by Operation Infinite Jumble

The blame for increased gun sales, according to Moscow and anti-gun activists, lies with gun manufacturers.

This is the keen understanding of a free market which made the Soviet Union such a rousing success. Excuse me for a moment...I'm getting hungry...damn farmers.

12 posted on 12/13/2001 9:57:56 AM PST by gundog

What's the automatic weapon of choice of every terrorist group in 95% of the world?

Kalishnakov

13 posted on 12/13/2001 10:00:35 AM PST by ZOOKER

To: Howlin
Gun control is dead as an issue in this country since 9-11.

For about five to ten years until the erosion begins again.
14 posted on 12/13/2001 10:00:37 AM PST by Operation Infinite Jumble
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

When Hitler invaded the USSR in WWII they encountered a largely unarmed population. In addition they were welcomedas liberators. It took the soviets over a year even to recover since "comrade" Stalin had also wiped out 80% of the officer corps of the red army himself.

The only reason the Russians are where they are today is because the fall of the USSR occured because security troops which had the only guns finally decided not to shoot their fellow civilians. The story and history would be quite different had they followed the example of the Chinese at Tienamen Square.

No doubdt about it, an armed population is the only safeguard to tyranny.

I don't think we need advice from a people with such a sorry history and track record.

16 posted on 12/13/2001 10:03:03 AM PST by Cacique

Gosh, color me surprised...
17 posted on 12/13/2001 10:03:16 AM PST by Jefferson Adams

To: expose; All
Beretta's promise to pay a portion of the sale of each pistol to survivors and relatives of the Sept. 11 attacks was particularly irritating to the gun-control advocates.

Gun-control advocates are peeved that Beretta is capitalizing on the sympathy angle. IOW, they're peeved that Beretta is gaining the hearts of people. And especially that they're doing it in conjunction with increased gun sales... that the customers are buying for reasons more profound than being sympathetic to the survivors -- though that adds to the special-ness of buying a gun -- they buy them for protection so that they too may be a survivor, if push comes to shove. That's must be really unnerving to the gun-control advocates. The combination of common sense and sympathy irritates them.

You see, the control advocates thought they owned the license on jerking around people's emotions and here now Beretta does the equivalent but does it honestly and right in alignment with the market/consumer's emotional and psychological make up. Yep, I bet the gun-grabbers are fuming.

18 posted on 12/13/2001 10:04:18 AM PST by Zon

To: smith288
I've had a Russian living at my house for the past 4 1/2 months.....took him shooting at my farm, last time he shot a gun was with the Soviet Army in Mongolia over 10 years ago.

He understood well the phrase " an armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a peasant..."

He stated that in Belarus and Russia no-one can own a weapon even for hunting (of course that exludes the political elite).

The Russian people understand this, but unfortunately, so does the Russian government.....

NeverGore

19 posted on 12/13/2001 10:04:49 AM PST by nevergore
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
when I was in Russia I was offered a Makarov pistol for $50.00 and a full-auto AK-74 for $100.00.

WAAAAAHHH!!! Not fair!!! I wanna select-fire AK-74 for $100.00!!!

20 posted on 12/13/2001 10:05:18 AM PST by Jefferson Adams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-90 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson