Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Microsoft To Plug Devastating Browser Download Hole
Newsbytes ^ | 12/12/2001 | Brian McWilliams

Posted on 12/11/2001 9:11:38 PM PST by toupsie

Microsoft To Plug Devastating Browser Download Hole

By Brian McWilliams, Newsbytes
REDMOND, WASHINGTON, U.S.A.,

11 Dec 2001, 1:09 PM CST Microsoft [NASDAQ:MSFT] will patch a flaw in its Web browser that could allow an attacker to silently download and execute malicious programs on the computers of users who view a specially constructed Web page or e-mail message.

The patch for Internet Explorer (IE) is currently in testing and could be released soon, according to Jouko Pynnonen, a security researcher with Finland's Oy Online Solutions. Pynnonen reported the IE vulnerability to Microsoft on Nov. 19 and recently tested the software fix at the company's request.

The vulnerability affects IE for Windows versions 5, 5.5, and 6, said Pynnonen. Citing the severity of the flaw, he refused to release technical details about the method he found for bypassing the browser's system for securely handling downloaded files.

A Microsoft spokesperson said the company does not currently have any information to share on the issue and declined to discuss the status of the browser patch.

By design, IE should warn users when they attempt to download and open an executable file. But as a result of the security flaw, a malicious Web site could "relatively easily and unnoticeably ... spread virii, install DDoS zombies or backdoors, format hard disks, and so on," wrote Pynnonen in an advisory posted Nov. 26 to Bugtraq, a mailing list for security experts.

Pynnonen revealed that the bug lies in IE's processing of Internet addresses and "header" information that tells the browser what type of file it is handling. The flaw is particularly dangerous because it can be exploited using ordinary Web page code, without help from JavaScript or other scripting programs, he said.

Oy Online Solutions offered to demonstrate the flaw at a private Web site only if recipients of the demo signed an agreement not to disclose information about the exploit.

Chris Wysopal, director of research and development for AtStake, a security consulting firm, characterized the IE download flaw as "a very serious problem" and potentially one of the most severe ever to affect the browser.

However, to exploit the vulnerability, "attackers would probably need control of a Web server so that they could control the information sent in the HTTP header," Wysopal said. As a result, attacks could be traced to the malicious site.

According to Pynnonen, the vulnerability also may affect users of Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail readers, which rely on IE to display messages in Web-page or HTML format. Qualcomm's Eudora e-mail reader, which optionally uses IE for HTML display, could also be vulnerable, he said.

Until the patch is available from Microsoft, Pynnonen said concerned users can temporarily disable IE's ability to download files. To do so, users should select Internet Options from the Tools menu. Then select the Security tab and click on Custom Level. Scroll down to the listing for Downloads and disable file downloads.

Pynnonen's initial advisory on the flaw did not describe the automatic downloading vulnerability and was concerned instead with the browser's failure to properly differentiate between file types.

A subsequent message sent to Microsoft and Bugtraq Nov. 28 described the more serious issues but was not published on Bugtraq by joint agreement between Pynnonen and the list's moderator, the security researcher said.

Microsoft initially denied that the ability to "spoof" file types in IE represented a security vulnerability, but the company later changed its position, according to Pynnonen.

Last month Microsoft patched a security flaw in IE's handling of browser cookie files after Pynnonen reported the vulnerability to the company.

Pynnonen's original report on the IE download spoofing flaw is at http://www.solutions.fi/index.cgi/news_2001_11_26?lang=eng

Microsoft security information site is at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/default.asp

Reported by Newsbytes, http://www.newsbytes.com .

13:09 CST
Reposted 13:33 CST

(20011211/WIRES ONLINE, LEGAL, PC/HOLE/PHOTO)

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-269 next last
Mac users of Microsoft Internet Explorer are not affected by this massive security hole. Windows users might want to switch to Netscape, Mozilla or Opera. Better yet, get a Mac! Or you could save your investment in Intel hardware and go with Linux
1 posted on 12/11/2001 9:11:38 PM PST by toupsie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: toupsie
Better yet, get a Mac!

For a direct download link try store.apple.com

2 posted on 12/11/2001 9:21:46 PM PST by Mid-MI Student
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

--- Welcome to Microsoft ---

Proudly Cranking Out
Low-Quality Crap
Everyday!

3 posted on 12/11/2001 9:25:44 PM PST by HAL9000

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

To: HAL9000
Actually they just start out cranking out crap. But after a few years of using us as beta testers, it actually becomes good quality. Learn to ride the wave baby. :-)
5 posted on 12/11/2001 9:32:27 PM PST by Texaggie79
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I'm already using Netscape, and I'm fiddling with Linux. And I'm gloating - can you hear me? (Gloat gloat)
6 posted on 12/11/2001 9:34:33 PM PST by dandelion

To: Noxxus
Naw, just run AnalogX Script defender, A good firewall, realtime Trojan/bot detector, realtime virus detector, and a good spyware blocker. I run all of those as I surf and download. Doesn't slow me down at all and my computer is better protected for it also. p.s. This is even behind a hrdware firewall box.
7 posted on 12/11/2001 9:35:44 PM PST by RadioAstronomer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: RadioAstronomer
So I take it that just the ZoneAlarmPro(paid for version) isn't enough? I'm a male computer blonde, I'll admit it.
8 posted on 12/11/2001 9:37:23 PM PST by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Mid-MI Student
For a direct download link try store.apple.com

I can't use a Mac. I'm heterosexual.
9 posted on 12/11/2001 9:37:31 PM PST by Bush2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: All
Interestingly enough, their brand new '.NET' Passport scheme just brought their Microsoft Gaming Zone to it's knees.

Shut the entire thing down.

Users got a message, "The Zone is now a Microsoft® .NET Passport site! Your existing Zone Account still works, but to play you must first sign in to .NET Passport or register for a new .NET Passport account. .NET Passport provides many benefits, including a shared sign-in through all .NET Passport sites and free accounts on other sites, such as Money Central and MSN Chat.

Click on the .NET Passport Sign-in button to sign in to .NET Passport or register for a new .NET Passport account.

If you are already signed in and don't wish to sign out, click your browser's Back button to return to the previous page. If you wish to sign out, click the .NET Passport button below.

And the thing would crash when you tried to get in.

MS's 'new and improved' internet, for your entertainment.

10 posted on 12/11/2001 9:40:54 PM PST by Dominic Harr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Diddle E. Squat
Not even! Two things you should consider. 1) The program Ad-Aware, and 2) a good trojan detector. I am at work or I would point you to the free links. When I get home in the morning, I will freep mail you with all of the information. :)
11 posted on 12/11/2001 9:41:17 PM PST by RadioAstronomer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

I wonder if the Flying Monkeys here on Free Republic will seriously admit that the Wicked Wizard's software has a flaw, or if they'll try to distract with feeble wisecracks questioning the intelligence, sexuality and patriotism of anyone who uses non-Microsoft products.
12 posted on 12/11/2001 9:47:13 PM PST by JoeSchem

To: Bush2000
Interestingly enough, on the Zone, you can log in as 'guest' and play the Java games just fine. It's just all your 'account' info -- that has been migrated to Passport -- that is down.

I wonder how many years it will be before MS works all the serious bugs out of .NET?

If they're still having so much trouble perfecting a Web Browser, after going on a decade of making them?

13 posted on 12/11/2001 9:48:38 PM PST by Dominic Harr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

"Microsoft. We exchange crap for billions of dollars. Who can argue with a business plan like that?"

"Microsoft Internet Exploder. We've "fixed" it a few hundred times, and the damn thing still doesn't work right."

14 posted on 12/11/2001 9:49:35 PM PST by butter pecan fan

I thought this was particularly funny.

Scroll down to the listing for Downloads and disable file downloads.

So, in order to be safe, don't use your browser to download ZoneAlarm, security patches, music files, pictures or anything else.

I'm glad I don't use Microsoft anymore. This would even screw up my old habit of only using IE to download Netscape.

Those of us that have thrown off the Microsoft shackles wonder why the rest of you still put up with this crap.

Knitebane

15 posted on 12/11/2001 9:51:07 PM PST by Knitebane

To: JoeSchem
You mean that Microsoft patriotism really is the last refuge of scoundrels?

Knitebane

16 posted on 12/11/2001 9:52:55 PM PST by Knitebane
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

So this means that MS programmers either
  1. thought it would be a good idea to allow the browser to execute code on the client without the user's knowledge.

or

2. didn't realize that their code would allow the browser to execute code on the client without the user's knowledge.
I can't imagine a paid developer doing *either*.

Which do you think it was? On purpose, or pure accident?

18 posted on 12/11/2001 9:59:15 PM PST by Dominic Harr

To: butter pecan fan
It reminds me of the old saying by the carpenter, “I cut it three times..and it’s still to short”
19 posted on 12/11/2001 9:59:44 PM PST by soundsolutions
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: RadioAstronomer
Hey, thanks for all the help, it is most appreciated. Good luck on the night shift, I had to do that for years(actually rarely was it a steady shift, but rather on call 24/7, daylight one day, all night the next, no possible sleep pattern.) Hope they pay you good for 3rd trick!
20 posted on 12/11/2001 10:02:46 PM PST by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 261-269 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson