Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Fired coach: I was accused of running up score
Palm Beach Post ^ | Dec. 7, 2001 | Marcus Nelson

Posted on 12/10/2001 9:27:10 AM PST by RippleFire

Fired coach: I was accused of running up score

By Marcus Nelson, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 7, 2001

LAKE WORTH -- Wellington High School girls basketball coach Teresa Krellner said the school's principal fired her Tuesday after accusing her of running up the score against Santaluces.

The Wolverines defeated the Chiefs 67-11 on Monday and Krellner was dismissed the following morning by Wellington Principal Rod Montgomery, Krellner said Thursday night.

"He said he felt like it was an embarrassment to his school," Krellner said. "I was told I was being fired because I deliberately ran up the score in the game. He thought it was an embarrassment that at the end of the game players were laughing on the court."

Montgomery would not disclose the reason Krellner was fired.

"Issues that we have with personnel we don't discuss with the press," Montgomery said during Wellington's game at Lake Worth on Thursday night. "The bottom line is we thought the program could be taken to another level."

Krellner was 41-16 in three seasons as head coach and the Wolverines are 5-1 this season. "Obviously doing it once the season has started is not ideal, but it's a decision that was made and we're going to live with it," Montgomery said. "Hopefully everyone will rebound."

Krellner also attended Wednesday's game, where she was hugged by several players and greeted by parents angry about the firing.

Players said they were notified of the decision by Wellington Athletic Director William Dupere.

"We were all called out of class and (Dupere) said that coach 'Tree' was not going to be our coach," senior forward Mary Carter said. "He told us it had to do with the game on Monday. There were three or four girls crying and we all thought about quitting."

Parents of the players were upset with Krellner's dismissal.

"This woman has been a role model and is beyond reproach," said Barry Schnittman, the father of guard Cari Schnittman.

Krellner said she told Montgomery she took several steps to keep the score down against Santaluces, which is 0-5 this season.

"I tried to explain that we didn't run up the score and we called off our press in the first quarter," Krellner said. "I told our girls that we could not fast break. I did everything short of what I thought would be humiliating to the other team."

Krellner said the starters played sparingly in only the first and third quarters before she let them back in with 1:45 remaining. Even then, Krellner said, the players were not in their regular positions. Krellner said that was why the players were laughing.

Wellington players said they did not run up the score.

"The people that scored in that game don't get to play that much," Carter said. "We don't believe in running up the score."

Santaluces coach Bruce Wasserman does not believe Krellner ran up the score.

"I did not leave the gym that night thinking that they had run the score up on us," Wasserman said. "We're not a competitive team. I've been on both ends of games like that and there's not much you can do."

Krellner said she called Wasserman to make sure he wasn't upset about the game.

Vic Navarro, who was an assistant on the Wellington boys team, was named the coach of the girls team and the Wolverines beat Lake Worth 40-25 Thursday.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-44 next last
You can't make this stuff up! You can even vote on this at the URL above. The only thing I can't figure out is how they were able to fire a teacher in the first place - it just must be that she is no longer the coach.
1 posted on 12/10/2001 9:27:10 AM PST by RippleFire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: RippleFire
Didn't the coach know that only college football teams in Florida are allowed to run up the score??
2 posted on 12/10/2001 9:29:55 AM PST by Texican72
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Any pics?
3 posted on 12/10/2001 9:31:43 AM PST by ConsistentLibertarian

However, the computer rankings still have Santaluces ranked higher than Wellington in spite of the 67-11 blowout, and they will now advance to play Miami for the state title....
4 posted on 12/10/2001 9:33:59 AM PST by Tall_Texan

So it sounds like a choice court case to me.....cannot be fired for a one time offense and since "taking the program to the next level" cannot be said of a coach with such an overwhelming record, the real reason will have to be testified to in court. I would admonish my players not to laugh at any opponent, but what can a coach do that is more than pulling the first string off the court? You cannot tell a kid to play less than their potential, that is exactly the opposite of what any coach should be doing.
5 posted on 12/10/2001 9:36:10 AM PST by maximus@Nashville

To: Texican72
You're so right. Steve Spurrier scores 73 against Vandy and then loses to real competitors. Spurrier makes everyone think he's great until he faces competition.
6 posted on 12/10/2001 9:37:41 AM PST by boycott
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Her actions resulted in severe damage to the self-esteem of the other team. She refused to follow the precepts of "outcome based basketball". It is obvious that the other teams have a "hoop challenged disability" and according to the ADA should have been provided with a larger diameter basket. She also did not place the required lead-substitute ball and chain on the ankles of her players as the principal requested.
7 posted on 12/10/2001 9:38:40 AM PST by Arkinsaw

This score isn't as lopsided as many I have seen. I coached basketball for a good many years, although some years for kids younger than these. Furthermore, you can't tell by the score what exactly happened there.

The best coaches I ever watched used to work on lopsided games to make sure the game was well in hand. Then they implemented Plan - B to make sure the scrubs got plenty of playing time, as well as making sure those that rarely had the chance to score did get that chance. I used to do the same thing, although I don't count myself as among the best coaches.

It looks to me as though this coach did all those things. You can't put the third string in and tell them not to try. My guess is the one that did the firing needs to be fired.

8 posted on 12/10/2001 9:38:47 AM PST by stevem

Sounds to me like the coach did all possible to mitigate the scoring of the players. Short of not shooting, what else would be expected?
9 posted on 12/10/2001 9:39:04 AM PST by Sgt_Schultze

"The only thing I can't figure out is how they were able to fire a teacher in the first place..."

I'm afraid this may be even more interesting than you might think...
There's an excellent probability what we have here is:
1) A black, male principle.
2) Whose terminated a white lesbian girl's BB coach.
Yea.
~& as such; the fecal matter hasn't even begun to hit the metalic impeller, yet.

...whadda ya think of that? :o)

10 posted on 12/10/2001 9:42:20 AM PST by Landru

As any reasonable person reading the local papers knows, girls high school sports suffer -- big time -- from the "haves" and "have nots". Often, high schools are forced to field teams whether they are competitive or not. Capable teams thus run roughshod over the non-competitive. It is routine to see hugely lopsided scores as a direct result -- particular in sports in which 'team skills' are required - basketball, softball, soccer. Boy, the scores I saw the first time Florida switched from slow- to fast-pitch softball!

But, as these things go, if the principal had a personal beef with this coach, any pre-text would be sufficient for dismissal. I've seen it happen.

11 posted on 12/10/2001 9:42:37 AM PST by alancarp

To: Texican72
Whatever. Spurrier puts in 2nd and 3rd stringers and lets them play.
12 posted on 12/10/2001 9:49:54 AM PST by cactmh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: stevem
This score isn't as lopsided as many I have seen. I coached basketball for a good many years, although some years for kids younger than these. Furthermore, you can't tell by the score what exactly happened there.

That's true. I've done high school basketball on radio for many years and I once saw a junior varsity game prior to a broadcast of mine where one team led 97-11 with one minute to go and set up a play to get a three-point shot for their starting two-guard. It was successful and the team hit triple digits. I lost all respect for that program for doing that.

13 posted on 12/10/2001 9:49:55 AM PST by Twins613
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: boycott; RippleFire
So who's going to the BCS?

This is the same sort of thing that Spurrier gets accused of and it's the same problem. A team's backups and scrubs work hard in practice to learn the same plays that the starters know. It is unfair to put them in, then tell them not to try. Heck, it's a chance to get them playing time in a game situation.

14 posted on 12/10/2001 9:51:05 AM PST by Celtjew Libertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: boycott
Actually Spurrier lets his players play and they run the score up. Can't help it if your team sux. We may lose a few games, however, if your team played the toughest schedule year in and year out, you'd probably lose a few too. Also, in the past there was an incentive through the BCS to score as much as possible. Spurrier is a huge proponent of a playoff system.
15 posted on 12/10/2001 9:52:42 AM PST by cactmh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: alancarp
As a postscript, I see that the Wellington Woverine's football squad stomped up on Santaluces High by the score of 43-14 in late October. No word on whether the football coach was fired.

I DO NOT KNOW THAT IT'S RELEVANT, but yes, Principal Rod Montgomery is a African-American male. They've got NINE Assistant Principals. http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/WellingtonHS/main.htm

16 posted on 12/10/2001 9:53:11 AM PST by alancarp
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

A 67-11 basketball game? Sounds like the other team was so pathetic that the coach DID hold the score down. I'll bet if she hadn't put in the second and third strings the score would have been 150-11.
17 posted on 12/10/2001 9:54:20 AM PST by Blood of Tyrants

To: Celtjew Libertarian
Exactly!

"This is the same sort of thing that Spurrier gets accused of and it's the same problem. A team's backups and scrubs work hard in practice to learn the same plays that the starters know. It is unfair to put them in, then tell them not to try. Heck, it's a chance to get them playing time in a game situation."

18 posted on 12/10/2001 9:54:36 AM PST by cactmh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

It's Palm Beach. Maybe they counted wrong.
19 posted on 12/10/2001 9:55:34 AM PST by Spokane

P.S. I would suggest that the players refuse to play at all and forfeit all games until the matter is re-opened.
20 posted on 12/10/2001 9:55:34 AM PST by Blood of Tyrants

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-44 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson