Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Cannibalism suspect's sordid trail runs through Great Falls.Prosecutors say boys were abused, killed
Grand Forks Herald ^ | December 2, 2001 | Douglas Belkin

Posted on 12/02/2001 2:55:01 AM PST by DakotaKid

GREAT FALLS, Mont. -- When the man who moved into Nathaniel Bar-Jonah's former apartment read last week in the newspaper what allegedly went on in his home before he arrived, he peered up at the brown mark on the kitchen ceiling, put down the paper, and vomited.

The mark, prosecutors say, was where Bar-Jonah screwed a pulley into the ceiling, attached a nylon rope, and hung young boys by the neck to fulfill his perverse sexual fantasies.

The grisly revelations about Bar-Jonah's alleged abuse of boys and their remains have sickened many in this city of 60,000 at the edge of the Rockies.

Bar-Jonah, 43, is a Massachusetts native who, according to a Montana prosecutor, was dumped here by Bay State authorities after he had molested at least three children near his hometown of Dudley. Bar-Jonah served 12 years at the Massachusetts Treatment Center for the Sexually Dangerous in Bridgewater, then in 1991 a judge allowed him to leave the state to go to Montana and live with his mother.

Now he has been accused of kidnapping, molesting, butchering, and eating the remains of at least one young boy. And he allegedly kept a detailed, albeit confusing, record of it all. It was that account, released by prosecutors to the public last Tuesday, that has been so disturbing to the people of Great Falls.

"Mark brought a kitten with him when he moved here, and it wouldn't go in the place," said Doug McGiboney, who lives in the apartment next door. "The kitten knew that place was evil."

The town is struggling with the notion that a serial pedophile linked to cannibalism walked these streets and drew crowds of children to his weekly garage sales of "Star Wars" memorabilia and stuffed animals.

Cascade County Attorney Brant Light detailed his theory of how the former fast-food worker disposed of the remains of a 10-year-old Great Falls boy named Zachary Ramsay.

Ramsay disappeared nearly five years ago on his way to school, and Light said he believes Ramsay was butchered by Bar-Jonah and his remains served unwittingly to neighbors in burgers and stews over a period of weeks.

It may get worse. Authorities are investigating Bar-Jonah's travels over two decades and are culling his 25-year string of convictions for child molestation, seeking clues on other victims in what has become a national search.

"This has really shaken people to their core," said Great Falls Police Chief Robert G. Jones. "It is going to take a long time for things to return to normal."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last
Very disturbing...
1 posted on 12/02/2001 2:55:01 AM PST by DakotaKid
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: DakotaKid
How much more of this gruesome sickness needs to be revealed before society will institute the only known and reliable cure for child molesters? Massachusetts DHS needs to be sued big time for discharging this toxic sewage in Montana. . . . along with all the "Alternate Lifestyle" recruiters who were allowed to use the public schools to proselytize their sick religon and the officials which premitted it.
2 posted on 12/02/2001 3:03:42 AM PST by Rubber Duckie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disturbing is an understatement. The sad thing is, this scumbag will probably get off on an insanity plea.
3 posted on 12/02/2001 3:10:59 AM PST by piasa

To: Rubber Duckie
*sarcasm*I wasn't aware that cannibalism was considered an 'Alternate Lifestyle'.
4 posted on 12/02/2001 3:13:19 AM PST by Paul C. Jesup
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Massachusetts Treatment Center for the Sexually Dangerous in Bridgewater, then in 1991 a judge allowed him to leave the state to go to Montana and live with his mother.

I want that judge to suffer. Could someone get a name and post it?

5 posted on 12/02/2001 3:16:00 AM PST by Carry_Okie

"Mark brought a kitten with him when he moved here, and it wouldn't go in the place," said Doug McGiboney, who lives in the apartment next door. "The kitten knew that place was evil."

I always keep a kitten around to alert me to places that are evil. I won't go anywhere the kitten won't go. This has caused me trouble at the office, as I am unable to enter my boss' office. For weeks at a time I can't go down into the basement. I have also found that a litter box or saucer of cream is an effective talisman against evil; when placed in evil places, the evil vanishes and my kitten finds it safe to return.

Kittens are so damn useful.

6 posted on 12/02/2001 3:32:53 AM PST by Silly

They're still renting out his apartment? That's appalling.

They had to tear down Dahmer's apartment building in Milwaukee because no one would live there. I'd suggest they do the same with this place.

7 posted on 12/02/2001 3:42:35 AM PST by Catspaw

To: Silly
Mine was- I had an old tomcat that would disappear right before a hated and mean relative would visit when we were kids... and it would return after she left. I figured he could feel the tension rising in us before hand every year about that time, and would leave, staying away for the few weeks she was here while waiting for the smell of her rancid musk perfume to go away. His territorial scent was far better than hers....

As for this building where the children were killed, there is nothing paranormal about the kitten not wanting anything to do with it- when people, or animals, for that matter are very afraid, they release hormones and other chemicals that can linger. The 'scent of fear,' is no joke, and predatory species can detect it with ease.

8 posted on 12/02/2001 3:56:06 AM PST by piasa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

...remains served unwittingly to neighbors in burgers and stews over a period of weeks.

Sick!!

9 posted on 12/02/2001 3:57:20 AM PST by Georgia_JimD

To: Paul C. Jesup
Oh ,yes ! Definitely alternative ! ( You are what you eat, don't you see. )
10 posted on 12/02/2001 4:01:45 AM PST by genefromjersey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Rubber Duckie
You can't say that about MA, after all the great and noble Kennedy klan hails from there.

You all know that the kennedy's wouldn't allow anything like this garabe out on society.

11 posted on 12/02/2001 4:03:00 AM PST by dts32041
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Massachusetts prosecutor defends Bar-Jonah release

"They should have nailed him to the goddamn psychiatric ward floor,"

12 posted on 12/02/2001 4:07:56 AM PST by JZoback

To: Silly
So if your kitten goes into the litterbox, you know it's OK for you to go to?
13 posted on 12/02/2001 4:55:02 AM PST by Mean Daddy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: JZoback
Does anyone on this thread know if Montana is a death penalty state? If it is,when this animal is put down,the judge in Massachusets who allowed his release should,IMO,be compelled to pull the switch. That judge was trusted to guard the public interest,and failed miserably at the job. If that judge can't be fired from the job and prevented from ever holding any sort of public office again,at the very least,he or she should help clean up the mess that resulted from the decision to turn this monster loose.
14 posted on 12/02/2001 5:28:37 AM PST by sawsalimb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Carry_Okie
The judge who signed Bar-Jonah's discharge was Superior Court Judge Walter E. Steele, who handled a number of controversial cases before stepping down from the bench four years ago.
15 posted on 12/02/2001 5:31:05 AM PST by CommiesOut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Carry_Okie
Colorful career

Steele was the special prosecutor in the infamous 1969 Chappaquiddick case involving U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass. He was also the judge in a case involving the June 1981 rape of a Brigham and Women's Hospital nurse by a group of doctors. Steele sentenced the physicians to six months in prison, according to the New Bedford Standard-Times.

One of the last decisions Steele made before retiring in 1996 was to give five years' probation to the driver in a drive-by shooting that injured three.

"I'm afraid if you spent a few years (in prison) you would never get back to school and you would never become a productive member of society," Steele told the 19-year-old driver, according to the New Bedford paper.

Despite any appearances of leniency, however, people familiar with Steele's record describe him as fair. That Steele signed Bar-Jonah's release was less an act of discretion on his part than "the nature of the legal process at the time," said New Bedford criminal defense attorney Stewart Grimes.

Here was Steele's conundrum: To keep Bar-Jonah at Bridgewater, the state of Massachusetts was required by law to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he remained sexually dangerous, Grimes said.

On the contrary, several psychologists testified that Bar-Jonah had improved markedly.

'More controlled, wiser'

Dr. Eric Sweitzer testified that Bar-Jonah was a changed person from the young man who had kidnapped the two boys years earlier. He described Bar-Jonah as "a far more thoughtful, insightful, controlled and wiser 33-year-old" and said he was no longer sexually dangerous.

Another psychologist, Dr. Richard Ober, testified that Bar-Jonah had exhibited "increased self-esteem and social relationships." He, too, declared Bar-Jonah no longer sexually dangerous.

Even Dr. Bard, who opposed Bar-Jonah's release, noted that he had made an "important therapeutic connection" with a therapist and with members of his therapy group.

Sweitzer could not be reached for comment this week. Ober, reached Thursday, knew instantly who the Tribune was calling about -- "and it's not because he donated his fortune to the hospital, is it?" he said.

"I'm sure you'll understand I have no comment on this matter, but you have a good day," Ober said.

Bard declined comment to the Tribune, but the Boston Herald quoted him as uttering, "Oh, God, that's horrible," when a reporter informed him of the sadistic new charges.

Discharged from center

Bolstered by the expert testimony, Bar-Jonah's lawyer, Boulanger, argued that his client "has resolved the underlying psychological conflicts, which resulted in the commission of crimes. ... Rather than being an impulsive individual, he is a controlled, thoughtful person. I find that the petitioner does not require the secure setting of the treatment center."

Steele needed no more convincing. He ordered Bar-Jonah to be discharged that June.

Steele, now 74, did not respond to requests for comment.
-¦- http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/thebarjonahcase/dailyupdates/130935.html

16 posted on 12/02/2001 5:47:18 AM PST by CommiesOut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: piasa
"The 'scent of fear,' is no joke, and predatory species can detect it with ease."

Two incidents-

A dog owned by a friend of mine was hit by a car and was laying in the street with a broken leg- as we moved the dog into my car, and took it to the vet, I could smell a strong, musky odor- the dog was clean, and it hadn't fouled itself- it just reeked.

I had a near "Darwin Award" moment, and wound up with a bullet wound to groin, passing down and out the back of my leg. As I lay on the floor pressing a towel to the wound, and elevating my other leg, I was aware of a very, very strong odor. And no, I hadn't fouled myself, and no, it wasn't the strong odor men occaisonally emit after eating spicy food. Smelled like atomic BO, with a delicate hint of rotten cheese.

Wonder if EMT folks have ever noticed the same thing...

17 posted on 12/02/2001 6:27:05 AM PST by fourdeuce82d
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: JZoback
The idea of using profiling for arrests sounds better and better. The other issue is that the law states one can't present data regarding prior offences to the jury. This must be a Dershowitz/ACLU legacy.
18 posted on 12/02/2001 2:54:02 PM PST by GROUCHOTWO
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Mean Daddy
So if your kitten goes into the litterbox, you know it's OK for you to go to?

You figured it out exactly right.

19 posted on 12/03/2001 7:38:55 AM PST by Silly
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Bar-Jonah, 43, is a Massachusetts native who, according to a Montana prosecutor, was dumped here by Bay State authorities,

Why can't the northeastern states keep their perverts at home where that kind of behavior is normal?

20 posted on 12/03/2001 8:01:55 AM PST by putupon

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-28 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson