Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Memory Loss: America may not remember history, but her enemies do
World Magazine ^ | November 17, 2001 edition | Gene Edward Veith

Posted on 11/08/2001 6:58:18 PM PST by sola gracia

Memory loss

America may not remember history, but her enemies do

By Gene Edward Veith

Gillian Welch, Americana singer and co-producer of the O, Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack, has a sense of history. In her new album, Time (The Revelator), the assassination of President Lincoln, the sinking of the Titanic, the Great Depression, the rise of Elvis Presley, and music styles long forgotten are all mightily present in the songs she writes and performs.

"To me, in my mind, history is never dead," Ms. Welch told Luke Torn of The Wall Street Journal, "and John Henry is no different than Elvis, and is no more removed. And I do think that I was having to explain this to so many people, you know, like Dustbowl language, and other things that cropped up in my earlier records. It's not dead to me."

Most people in the world see history as Ms. Welch does, as a potent reality that underlies everyday life. Americans, though, have tended to assume, like Henry Ford, that "history is bunk," that since we are modern and have progressed so far, we don't need to be aware of our history. But to have a culture—especially to defend a culture—requires a consciousness of history.

Certainly our adversaries have such a consciousness. Osama bin Laden and his followers are still obsessing over the crusades. The last crusade was over 700 years ago. When Americans hear the word crusade, we are probably more likely to think of Billy Graham than Richard the Lion-Hearted. But this obliviousness to medieval history does not prevent Islamic extremists from considering Americans to be crusaders.

Westerners might remember that we have had a number of conflicts with Muslims, which often turned out to be turning points of Western civilization.

In the century after Muhammad's death, Islam conquered much of the Middle East and swept through northern Africa. Then Muslims crossed the straits of Gibraltar and by 715 conquered Spain. Then they crossed the Pyrenees into France with the view of conquering all of Europe for Islam. They might have succeeded—stomping on Christianity and making the future of Europe very different from what it became—were it not for the army of Charles "The Hammer" Martel, King of the Franks, who, on Oct. 11, 732, defeated the Moors' cavalry at Poitiers.

This victory, as explained by Victor Davis Hanson in his recent bestseller Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power, not only turned back Islam; it made possible the reign of Martel's grandson, Charlemagne, who Christianized the last remaining barbarians and brought Europe out of the Dark Ages.

Later, during the Reformation, the Ottoman Turks, having conquered the Middle East, invaded Europe from another direction, conquering eastern Europe, central Europe, and the Balkans, laying the ground for the resentments that still bring war to Serbia and (the Muslim) Bosnia. The Turks advanced on Western Europe, moving into Germany and Austria.

The Turkish threat was so severe that Emperor Charles V, for all his Catholicism and his antagonism to the Reformation, did not dare attack the German nobles who protected Luther. He needed them to fight the Turks. Arguably, the Turkish invasion may have allowed the Reformation to succeed. The Turks advanced as far as Vienna, where they were turned back twice, in 1529 and 1683.

The crusades fell in between Poitiers and the Reformation. Periodically during the Middle Ages, the church would proclaim a crusade to put "the Holy Land" in Christian hands. Bolstered by indulgences and the conviction that if they died in the cause they would go straight to heaven, thousands of knights and peasants plundered their way to Jerusalem, sacking cities of Orthodox Christians as well.

The Reformers condemned the crusades as an example of the medieval trust in indulgences and works-righteousness, as if someone could be saved by fighting a war instead of trusting Christ. Today's crusaders, ironically, are the Muslim extremists, who believe the very same thing, that killing Americans and dying in a jihad against the West will mean instant paradise.

To combat this mindset, Americans need to cultivate a sense of our own history. Not so much the crusades or the other conflicts with Islam, but the history of our own institutions and values, the ideals of freedom, equality, and constitutional government that can be found nowhere in Muslim countries. Those ideals can hardly take root without a worldview to make them possible. The historical memory also needs to take into account the part played by Christianity in American culture.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
To combat this mindset, Americans need to cultivate a sense of our own history.

It seems to me that we are already doing that here at FR. Another excellent read from Mr. Veith.

1 posted on 11/08/2001 6:58:18 PM PST by sola gracia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: sheltonmac; greenthumb; Dawntreader; RnMomof7; George W. Bush; spudgin; BibChr
Bump
2 posted on 11/08/2001 7:00:29 PM PST by sola gracia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: sola gracia
Reading this inspires me to have another croissant--maybe two.
3 posted on 11/08/2001 7:18:35 PM PST by Savage Beast

BTTT
4 posted on 11/08/2001 7:54:37 PM PST by RnMomof7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #5 Removed by Moderator

To: overseer5
Nice try, Abdulla. Your Espanole' sux.
6 posted on 11/08/2001 7:57:18 PM PST by onyx
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Nice post, (especially your own)!
7 posted on 11/08/2001 7:58:52 PM PST by onyx

I have been telling (preaching) this all my life--"if we don't know where we came from, we cannot possibly know where to go"---history was dropped in our schools many years ago (called social studies now) and our children do not really understand this wonderful nation-- of course I am 79 and from the 'old school'
8 posted on 11/08/2001 8:01:09 PM PST by cmotormac44

One of the failures of most historians is to warn that history must be looked at with eyes of the past and not through the eyes of the present. This is one place where we get into trouble when we add our own social biases and scientific knowledge to times when these were unknown.

For example using this thinking we can blame native Cuban Indians for all the tobacco deaths from the late 1400's on as read below.

1492-11: Jerez and Torres Discover Smoking; Jerez Becomes First European Smoker

Rodrigo de Jerez and Luis de Torres, in Cuba searching for the Khan of Cathay (China), are credited with first observing smoking. They reported that the natives wrapped dried tobacco leaves in palm or maize "in the manner of a musket formed of paper." After lighting one end, they commenced "drinking" the smoke through the other. Jerez became a confirmed smoker, and is thought to be the first outside of the Americas. He brought the habit back to his hometown, but the smoke billowing from his mouth and nose so frightened his neighbors he was imprisoned by the holy inquisitors for 7 years. By the time he was released, smoking was a Spanish craze.

By the same token we can see that the inquisitors were first "enlightened ones" when it came to the dangers of smoking.

9 posted on 11/08/2001 8:11:13 PM PST by this_ol_patriot

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson