Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Security guard is attacked at a power plant
PMSNBC ^ | 11/6/01 | Scott Saxton, WSAZ Charleston

Posted on 11/06/2001 11:43:47 AM PST by Steven W.

PUTNAM CO., WV, Nov. 5 - With the world as it is now, an attack at a power plant gets even more attention. And it comes just days after the news leaked that the coast guard was already looking for a suspicious boat in our region. At this point, the coast guard is not sure whether the two things are connected. It could be a coincidence. But here's the good thing out of this whole mess: AEP says it was a test that security passed.

Putnam County Sheriff Stan Farley says, "Someone tried to come on the property." They came from the river side of the John Amos plant. A female security guard spotted one man and chased him. Then she says he turned and hit her. Farley says, "They were talking some type of foreign language. They got into the boat and took up the river." By the time police got there, only the ripples of the river remained. The men were long gone.

They're described as two dark skinned men, wearing dark clothing. Joe Haynes, with the John Amos Plant, says, "Our security reacted exactly the way we wanted them to." The Kanawha River is very close to the John Amos plant. AEP officials say from time to time people wander on to their property. Two months ago, they wouldn't have thought twice about this incident. Now they do.

September 11th changed that. A recent report from the Coast Guard adds to the concern. The guard says some boat is masquerading as a guard vessel in this region. Haynes says, "We're a little more sensitive to those kind of things, so we have to take that extra little bit of precaution when something like this happens." Joe Haynes says the already tight security at John Amos tightened even more after September 11th. Guards use mirrors to check under cars and trucks, just one precaution to keep much of the Valleys power supply pumping.

The guard who was involved in that scuffle, Patricia Parsons, is okay. She did go to the hospital, but she only had minor injuries. The Coast Guard is looking into this incident. They have the discretion with any water incident. The Coast Guard wants to find out if there are any connections to the bogus boat.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-46 next last
This is why Gray Davis is off with bridge threats; the terrorist probes keep saying nuclear power plants.
1 posted on 11/06/2001 11:43:47 AM PST by Steven W.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Steven W.
"The Coast Guard wants to find out if there are any connections to the bogus boat."

Good job USCG!

2 posted on 11/06/2001 11:49:46 AM PST by ChaseR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

A prior thread on the same subject with a different source A security guard is attacked at a power plant .

Stay well - Stay safe - Stay armed - Yorktown

3 posted on 11/06/2001 11:50:10 AM PST by harpseal

John Amos is a coal fired plant, but it is still worrisome. The Kanawa vally is a rich target with all the Chem plants. The russians rated it no.10 years ago.
4 posted on 11/06/2001 11:51:08 AM PST by folklore

To: folklore
This post's headline needed a bracketed comment to say it was a test. I detest being tricked. The media does enough of that.
5 posted on 11/06/2001 11:54:31 AM PST by Stevieboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Obviously, disaster is inevitable . . . it's just a matter of when and how bad !!! Go USCG et al. !!!
6 posted on 11/06/2001 11:58:08 AM PST by GeekDejure

To: Stevieboy
It wasn't a test - it was a real situation; the security supervisor merely noted that "it was a test that security passed."
7 posted on 11/06/2001 12:01:24 PM PST by Steven W.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

When was the last time you saw somebody sent to the hospital during a test?
8 posted on 11/06/2001 12:02:12 PM PST by gcruse

To: gcruse
Apologies... I've just felt so cheated lately. Forgive me?
9 posted on 11/06/2001 12:03:53 PM PST by Stevieboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Stevieboy
This was not a test. This really happened. The security people just meant that they past the "test" of how they would handle such a situation. The boat was first seen this past Friday. It is painted to look like a coast guard boat. They have not found the boat yet. There are several 100 if not a few thousands homes along the river with big boat houses. They need to start checking every one of them.
10 posted on 11/06/2001 12:10:05 PM PST by countrydummy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

There will be no security until deadly force is authorized.
11 posted on 11/06/2001 12:45:02 PM PST by dhuffman@awod.com

A female security guard spotted one man and chased him. Then she says he turned and hit her

Did this woman have a gun? If not, why not?

12 posted on 11/06/2001 12:47:10 PM PST by Sloth

To: Sloth
Why isn't she armed, indeed? I've toured a couple of nuke plants, years ago, and even in those peaceful days, the Glocks were in full effect. I'd hope there'd be guys and gals with rifles out there these days, and a lot more of 'em.
13 posted on 11/06/2001 12:52:53 PM PST by ArcLight
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

"Our security reacted exactly the way we wanted them to."

Not good enough,post sign saying "Trespassers will be shot on site",then SHOOT THEM!!

14 posted on 11/06/2001 12:53:23 PM PST by mdittmar

To: mdittmar
Not good enough,post sign saying "Trespassers will be shot on site",then SHOOT THEM!!

This is essential if we do not wish to see thousands of dead from a terorist strike at power plants coordinated with some other strike.

Stay well - stay safe - Stay armed - Yorktown

15 posted on 11/06/2001 12:58:23 PM PST by harpseal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Sloth
I have seen that plant. It is so darn big, it is amazing, with cooling towers that remind one of the stereotypical nuke plant.

It was quite a site steaming past that plant on a riverboat cruise that took me on the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers from Charleston to Huntington, going by a Revol. War era fort, and by Gallipolis on the Ohio River, and through the locks on the Ohio.

A veru nice day trip, if you are ever in the Charleston, WV, area.

I may be a proud Virginian, but I loved my two years in Charleston, WV. I will always consider myself, perhaps presumptuously, an honorary West Virginian.

16 posted on 11/06/2001 12:59:19 PM PST by Montfort
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: ChaseR
How YOU can assist/support HOMELAND DEFENSE

FBI Website

FBI Most Wanted Terrorists Page With Pictures

Click Here To Report Suspicious Activity to the FBI

Call the FBI Toll Free at 1-866-483-5137
if you see or hear anything that threatens our national security.

America's Most Wanted website

The Secretary of State designates Foreign Terrorist Organizations

The US State Department Rewards for Justice Program
was established by the 1984 Act to Combat International Terrorism, Public Law 98-533.
Under the Rewards Program, cooperating individuals and their immediate family members
may be eligible for relocation to the United States or elsewhere,
and they are assured complete confidentiality.
Rewards, totaling millions of dollars, have been paid in dozens of cases.
Innocent lives have been saved and terrorists put behind bars.

17 posted on 11/06/2001 12:59:53 PM PST by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: ArcLight
While this was not a nuke plant, I would think that the security would be carrying a gun. I honestly don't remember if our guards were armed at coal plants 10 years ago when I frequented such places up north, but I certainly beleive that they ought to be now.

The other question I would have is why was she chasing them alone. She ought to have summonsed another guard and went after them as a team.

Anyway, I'm glad she's OK.

18 posted on 11/06/2001 1:00:34 PM PST by meyer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: mdittmar
Seriously. I can't believe these guards are unarmed as the story suggests. This could have been a situation which would have led to the capture of some of these thugs. We need information.
19 posted on 11/06/2001 1:01:28 PM PST by RightWingNilla
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

"A female security guard spotted one man and chased him. Then she says he turned and hit her."
why the guard did not shoot??,they are authorized,due to national security.guards have besides handguns,submachine guns and shotguns.
20 posted on 11/06/2001 1:02:58 PM PST by green team 1999

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-46 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson