Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Pak considering shifting N-arsenal to China
The Indian Express ^ | 11/5/01 | unknown

Posted on 11/05/2001 2:01:20 PM PST by Rebelbase

LONDON, NOVEMBER 4: PAKISTAN is under pressure to move all or part of its nuclear weapons to China for safekeeping from fundamentalists and it is apprehensive of pre-emptive strikes on its nuclear sites by America, India or Israel to prevent the weapons falling into fundamentalist hands, media report said today quoting Pakistani sources.

The threat to weapons widely regarded as the Pakistan military’s ‘‘crown jewels’’ has forced Islamabad ‘‘to consider removing warheads to China, Pakistan’s closest strategic ally in the region,’’ the Sunday Times reported.

The prospect that loose warheads might be loaded onto helicopters or moved around a region foaming with fundamentalist turmoil is adding to fears in Washington that the war in Afghanistan might provoke a nuclear crisis.

According to the report, Abdul Sattar, the Pakistani Foreign Minister, insisted last week the arsenal was secure. But Washington officials have expressed mounting alarm that any coup attempt against General Pervez Musharraf, the military President, might put Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal at risk.

Pakistani generals were appalled by one authoritative American report last week that an elite Pentagon undercover unit, trained to disarm nuclear weapons, was exploring plans for a mission inside Pakistan. (PTI)

TOPICS: Breaking News; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last
FYI
1 posted on 11/05/2001 2:01:20 PM PST by Rebelbase
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Rebelbase
I did multiple article searches and could not find this previously posted. I am not to sure about the source, does anyone here know the reliability of "The Indian Express"?
2 posted on 11/05/2001 2:03:56 PM PST by Rebelbase
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Not like it'll help the Chinese any. I hate to say it, but this might not be a bad idea...
3 posted on 11/05/2001 2:04:21 PM PST by WyldKard

Under the circumstances, not an altogether bad idea.
4 posted on 11/05/2001 2:04:23 PM PST by OWK

After what the Communist Party has been saying about the attack on America and how we deserve it, I have a real problem with them having any access to these nuke's.
5 posted on 11/05/2001 2:06:05 PM PST by I_Publius

Gee, this sounds like a really good idea. I trust the Chinese MUCH more than the Pakistanis. Yeah right. What's the difference? They're both nuts.
6 posted on 11/05/2001 2:09:47 PM PST by garyhope

To: I_Publius
I have a real problem with them having any access to these nuke's.

You have a real problem with them having any access to these nuke's what?

7 posted on 11/05/2001 2:09:49 PM PST by OWK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: I_Publius
The technology to build them came from China in the first place. China has a large nuclear arsenal of its own, thanks in part to our beloved 42nd president.
8 posted on 11/05/2001 2:10:20 PM PST by denydenydeny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

What's the point of owning nukes if you have to leave them next door?
9 posted on 11/05/2001 2:10:31 PM PST by RightWhale

To: OWK
Under the circumstances, not an altogether bad idea.

Well, until India decides a 'nukeless' Pakistan is ripe for the picking. Is China going to launch the nukes of Pak's behalf if there is an attack.

Sounds like a mess to me, not to mention the possibility of theft of the weapons in transit.
10 posted on 11/05/2001 2:11:06 PM PST by Daus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

It has been posted, but the original article it is based on in the Sunday Times has not been.

That original article can be read here

11 posted on 11/05/2001 2:11:30 PM PST by tallhappy

To: RightWhale
What's the point of owning nukes if you have to leave them next door?

Pakistan's nuclear deterent has been renamed...

The Barney Fife Medium range standoff missile.

12 posted on 11/05/2001 2:12:24 PM PST by OWK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Daus
Well, until India decides a 'nukeless' Pakistan is ripe for the picking. Is China going to launch the nukes of Pak's behalf if there is an attack. Sounds like a mess to me, not to mention the possibility of theft of the weapons in transit.

I think it's a helluva mess in just about every conceivable way...

But given the available options, I'd sure hate to see thermonuclear weapons in the hands of Mullah Omar and the boys.

13 posted on 11/05/2001 2:14:12 PM PST by OWK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

If we AND India AND Israel are not right now in advanced stages of planning to destroy and/or remove and/or take over any nukes on Islamic soil, I would (a) be amazed and (b) feel that country had lost its will to live. As well as its sanity.

Pray to God these nukes cease to be, yesterday if possible. See if Allah can defend them, it is time there was a showdown between those two gods, like the one between Baal and YHWH at Mt Carmel in the Bible. Wish Elijah would come back to referee it, like he did then...

14 posted on 11/05/2001 2:14:44 PM PST by crystalk

To: RightWhale
Sounds kinda like the way the liberals want all guns unloaded and with trigger locks.
15 posted on 11/05/2001 2:14:57 PM PST by white trash redneck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: tallhappy
I think that maybe this is a good result of the noisy report of the US preparing to take control of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal. Maybe the announcement was merely to provoke the removal of the nukes from Pakistan. They are probably no value to China and only a dent in their arsenal.
16 posted on 11/05/2001 2:16:11 PM PST by scannell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Wow, the Chinese must give great warranties on those things. Layaway is one thing, but what American retailer do you know that would let you store an item "in store" after purchase??
17 posted on 11/05/2001 2:16:28 PM PST by Blackyce
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

IMHO what would the ChiComs want with these. They probably have alot more sophistacated weaponry. It reminds me of someone giving me a single shot .22 to hold. Yea I got it but it doesn't match up to anything else in my arsenal
18 posted on 11/05/2001 2:21:17 PM PST by cork

If Mullah gets Pak's nukes, then we can give him some of ours, at mach 11. Sounds like a plan...
19 posted on 11/05/2001 2:21:46 PM PST by evolved_rage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Comment #20 Removed by Moderator

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson