Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

German Navy "stands by" US Navy on destroyer named after British Leader, Churchill
email

Posted on 11/04/2001 9:24:47 AM PST by AgThorn

This is an e-mail from a young ensign aboard USS Winston Churchill (DDG-81) to his parents. (Churchill is an Arleigh Burke class AEGIS guided missile destroyer, commissioned March 10, 2001, and is the only active US Navy warship named after a foreign national.).

Dear Dad,

We are still at sea. The remainder of our port visits have all been cancelled. We have spent every day since the attacks going back and forth within imaginary boxes drawn in the ocean, standing high-security watches, and trying to make the best of it. We have seen the articles and the photographs, and they are sickening. Being isolated, I don't think we appreciate the full scope of what is happening back home, but we are definitely feeling the effects.

About two hours ago, we were hailed by a German Navy destroyer, Lutjens, requesting permission to pass close by our port side. Strange, since we're in the middle of an empty ocean, but the captain acquiesced and we prepared to render them honors from our bridgewing. As they were making their approach, our conning officer used binoculars and announced that Lutjens was flying not the German, but the American flag. As she came alongside us, we saw the American flag flying half-mast and her entire crew topside standing at silent, rigid attention in their dress uniforms. They had made a sign that was displayed on her side that read "We Stand By You." There was not a dry eye on the bridge as they stayed alongside us for a few minutes and saluted. It was the most powerful thing I have seen in my life. The German Navy did an incredible thing for this crew, and it has truly been the highest point in the days since the attacks. It's amazing to think that only half-century ago things were quite different. After Lutjens pulled away, the Officer of the Deck, who had been planning to get out later this year, turned to me and said, "I'm staying Navy." I'll write you when I know more about when I'll be home, but this is it for now. Love you guys.

click on image for larger, higher resolution image
AMAZING!!!  (click on the picture for a much better view!)

TOPICS: Announcements; Extended News; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS:
The email came with the larger image. For bandwidth here, I made a smaller one, but to really appreciate the picture, you have to click on the smaller image to get the higher resolution one. God bless those allies that stand by our side.
1 posted on 11/04/2001 9:24:47 AM PST by AgThorn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: AgThorn
Yes, God bless them!

Western Civilization will prevail!

2 posted on 11/04/2001 9:27:45 AM PST by Savage Beast
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

only active US Navy warship named after a foreign national

Make that the only active US Navy warship named after an honorary US Citizen.

3 posted on 11/04/2001 9:37:20 AM PST by JohnBovenmyer

The outpouring of condolences and acts of camaraderie have been very touching in the aftermath of the terrorism on and since 09/11.
4 posted on 11/04/2001 9:47:15 AM PST by DoughtyOne

The rebuilding and subsequent support of Germany until reunification is one of our biggest foreign policy success stories. The USA and the world are safer and freer as a result.
5 posted on 11/04/2001 9:51:53 AM PST by newwahoo

To: JohnBovenmyer
only active US Navy warship named after a foreign national
Make that the only active US Navy warship named after an honorary US Citizen.

Add to that the fact that he was 1/2 American from his American Mother, Jenny Jerome! He speculated himself about what would have happened if his parentage had been reversed with his father being an American. One truely wonders how such a capable man would have done in the US Gilded Age through the post-WW2 era.

6 posted on 11/04/2001 10:26:06 AM PST by SES1066
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Sounds familiar.
7 posted on 11/04/2001 5:20:29 PM PST by SMEDLEYBUTLER

To: SMEDLEYBUTLER
Ooops .... oh well, I did a check but obviously not a very good one. I thought this felt "dated".... ah well, it's good patriotic stuff anyway, just definitely NOT breaking news!! ;-)

Posted here and here and here.

8 posted on 11/04/2001 5:25:47 PM PST by AgThorn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: SMEDLEYBUTLER
Happy Birthday Mac! SF
9 posted on 11/10/2001 5:08:41 AM PST by Cvengr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson