Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Secret CIA Site in New York Was Destroyed on Sept. 11
Common Dreams News Center ^ | November 4, 2001 | by James Risen

Posted on 11/04/2001 5:59:00 AM PST by MeekOneGOP

Published on Sunday, November 4, 2001 in the New York Times
Secret CIA Site in New York Was Destroyed on Sept. 11
by James Risen

WASHINGTON — The Central Intelligence Agency's clandestine New York station was destroyed in the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center, seriously disrupting United States intelligence operations while bringing the war on terrorism dangerously close to home for America's spy agency, government officials say.

The C.I.A.'s undercover New York station was in the 47-story building at 7 World Trade Center, one of the smaller office towers destroyed in the aftermath of the collapse of the twin towers that morning. All of the agency's employees at the site were safely evacuated soon after the hijacked planes hit the twin towers, the officials said.

The intelligence agency's employees were able to watch from their office windows while the twin towers burned just before they evacuated their own building.

Immediately after the attack, the C.I.A. dispatched a special team to scour the rubble in search of secret documents and intelligence reports that had been stored in the New York station, either on paper or in computers, officials said. It could not be learned whether the agency was successful in retrieving its classified records from the wreckage.

A C.I.A. spokesman declined to comment.

The agency's New York station was behind the false front of another federal organization, which intelligence officials requested that The Times not identify. The station was, among other things, a base of operations to spy on and recruit foreign diplomats stationed at the United Nations, while debriefing selected American business executives and others willing to talk to the C.I.A. after returning from overseas.

The agency's officers in New York often work undercover, posing as diplomats and business executives, among other things, depending on the nature of their intelligence operations.

The recovery of secret documents and other records from the New York station should follow well-rehearsed procedures laid out by the agency after the Iranian takeover of the United States Embassy in Tehran in 1979. The revolutionaries took over the embassy so rapidly that the C.I.A. station was not able to effectively destroy all of its documents, and the Iranians were later able to piece together shredded agency reports. Since that disaster, the agency has emphasized rigorous training and drills among its employees on how to quickly and effectively destroy and dispose of important documents in emergencies.

As a result, a C.I.A. station today should be able to protect most of its secrets even in the middle of a catastrophic disaster like the Sept. 11 attacks, said one former agency official. "If it was well run, there shouldn't be too much paper around," the former official said.

The agency's New York officers have been deeply involved in counterterrorism efforts in the New York area, working jointly with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies. Many of the most important counterterrorism cases of the last few years, including the bureau's criminal investigations of the August 1998 bombings of two United States Embassies in East Africa and the October 2000 bombing of the U.S.S. Cole in Yemen have been handled out of New York.

The United States has accused Osama bin Laden and his Al Qaeda terrorist network of conducting both of those attacks.

But United States intelligence officials emphasize that there is no evidence that the hijackers knew that the undercover station was in the World Trade Center complex.

With their undercover station in ruins, C.I.A. officers in New York have been forced to share space at the United States Mission to the United Nations, as well as borrow other federal government offices in the city, officials said. The C.I.A.'s plans for finding a new permanent station in New York could not be determined.

The agency is prohibited from conducting domestic espionage operations against Americans, but the agency maintains stations in a number of major United States cities, where C.I.A. case officers try to meet and recruit students and other foreigners to return to their countries and spy for the United States. The New York station, which has been led by its first female station chief for the last year, is believed to have been the largest and most important C.I.A. domestic station outside the Washington area.

The station has for years played an important role in espionage operations against Russian intelligence officers, many of whom work undercover as diplomats at the United Nations. Agency officers in New York often work with the F.B.I. to recruit and then help manage foreign agents spying for the United States. The bureau's New York office, at 26 Federal Plaza, was unaffected by the terrorist attack.

The destruction of the C.I.A.'s New York station has added to the intense emotions shared by many of its employees about the agency's role in the battle against terrorism. For some, the station's destruction served to underscore the failure of United States intelligence to predict the attacks.

In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, morale suffered badly within the C.I.A., some officials said, as the agency began to confront what critics have called an intelligence failure on the scale of Pearl Harbor.

But the terrorist attacks have also brought an urgent new sense of mission to the agency, which has been flooded with job applications as well as inquiries from former officers eager to return to work. Congress is pouring money into the agency's counterterrorism operations, and the C.I.A. seems poised to begin focusing its resources on terrorism in much the same way it once focused on the Soviet Union in the cold war.

The attacks were not the first in which the C.I.A. was directly touched by terrorists. In 1983, seven agency officers died in the suicide car bombing of the United States Embassy in Beirut. Among the others killed was the agency's station chief in Lebanon, William Buckley, who died in captivity after being kidnapped by terrorists in 1984, and Richard Welch, the agency's Athens station chief, who was shot to death by Greek terrorists in 1975.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: michaeldobbs
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-55 next last
Hmm? This is interesting. . .

I wonder if this gets yanked by the "Posting Police?"

1 posted on 11/04/2001 5:59:00 AM PST by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing
They've come a long way from their London OSS days.
2 posted on 11/04/2001 6:03:18 AM PST by Sparticle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Posting Police
3 posted on 11/04/2001 6:04:43 AM PST by freedomnews

To: freedomnews
Posting Police
Are YOU one of them? Is this a secret code???

LOL ;-)

"Posting Police": In the aftermath of the Sept 11th tragedy, I tried to post replies on NUMEROUS articles that FReeper management would remove right in the middle of my attempts to post the replies.

4 posted on 11/04/2001 6:14:30 AM PST by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

So exactly WHY are you posting B.S. from a "progressive" (i.e. commie) site here???
5 posted on 11/04/2001 6:14:46 AM PST by Wonder Warthog

To: Snow Bunny; Republican Wildcat; Howlin; Fred Mertz; .30Carbine; Uff Da; Sungirl...
ping!
6 posted on 11/04/2001 6:16:53 AM PST by MeekOneGOP

To: Wonder Warthog
So exactly WHY are you posting B.S. from a "progressive" (i.e. commie) site here???
While researching for another FR article relating to the Executive Privilege issue posted on FR yesterday by another FReeper, I came across that website. Found this article there and thought I'd post it. Believe me, I'm NOT a commie! LOL!

7 posted on 11/04/2001 6:28:15 AM PST by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

What's up with the New York Times this week? On Nov. 1, they said the CIA had offices at #6 WTC, in the U.S. Customs House(scroll about a third of the way into the article). That's still standing, but slated for demolition soon. Today another Times article says the CIA's offices were at #7.

It would have been so easy to say "the CIA had offices in #6 WTC and also across the street in #7", but no, now they have to make me wonder if they know what they're talking about at all.

8 posted on 11/04/2001 6:41:27 AM PST by hellinahandcart
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

At the end of the original text posted by t-shirt on this article. . .

(Congress' Sept 11, 00 Subpoena For Clinton's Criminal Evidence Blocked By Bush Exec Order)(Thead4)

. . .you'll find this text:

Above AP Story here:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1102-01.htm

That's the same website I found my article on the CIA this morning.

Have a lovely day, good FReeper! ;-)

9 posted on 11/04/2001 7:02:56 AM PST by MeekOneGOP

Among the others killed was the agency's station chief in Lebanon, William Buckley, who died in captivity after being kidnapped by terrorists in 1984

This guy was tortured.

As for a secret CIA ofice, it couldn't have been too secret if everyone knows where it was. Not that anyone can seem to get the address right.

10 posted on 11/04/2001 7:09:30 AM PST by piasa

To: piasa
So the CIA isn't allowed to have an office? No wonder our intelligence sucks.
11 posted on 11/04/2001 7:13:10 AM PST by Republic of Texas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

It's an NYT article - the progressive site just linked and copied it. Granted, the NYT's a commie site too, but it's a very good article that's in the Times today.

I love stories like this though. Every time I learn about our guys recruiting others to spy on their home country, I get all warm and fuzzy. The only thing that consistently disturbs me is that we're paying these foreign moles more than we're paying our own citizens with CIA jobs. (Check out the GS pay charts.) I think it's the reason that a lot of good would-be CIA employees go out and work elsewhere. That's gotta change.

That said, kudos to the spooks for getting out there and getting the job done in NYC. Our HUMINT has been sub-par, and I think things are changing internally for the better.
12 posted on 11/04/2001 7:22:27 AM PST by July 4th

This was an interesting quote: "The destruction of the C.I.A.'s New York station has added to the intense emotions shared by many of its employees about the agency's role in the battle against terrorism. For some, the station's destruction served to underscore the failure of United States intelligence to predict the attacks.

In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, morale suffered badly within the C.I.A., some officials said, as the agency began to confront what critics have called an intelligence failure on the scale of Pearl Harbor."

Gee, I hope that they were able to get the Diversity Quilts, affirmative action programs and the pink ribbons out before the building collasped!

Since Jan 20 1993, most of the hires and promotions by the Farm, are diversity queens and affirmative action drones. They were more interested in advancing their left wing agendas than doing intel on terrorists!

Of course we shouldn't blame them. Thanks to Jake Reno and X42, we know that from Jan 20 1993 to Jan 20, 2001, the most dangerous terrorists to America were Bill Gates and the American, white heterosexual males, who belonged to that evil sect, Christianity, were veterans, another evil sect and belonged to the NRA, the most vile evil sect in America.

As we know the CIA's charter prevents them from spying on Americans in America. So with these evil white guys living in America being the prime terrorist targets, the CIA pink panty brigade had nothing better to do than diversity quilting parties and affirmative action work shops!

13 posted on 11/04/2001 7:41:05 AM PST by Grampa Dave

To: Grampa Dave
ROTFLMAO! Thanks for your input! Get 'em, Gramps! LOL!
14 posted on 11/04/2001 7:46:51 AM PST by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

"This was an interesting quote: "The destruction of the C.I.A.'s New York station has added to the intense emotions shared by many of its employees..."

I found that quote interesting as well, but for another reason. It's the curious matter of the dog barking in the night. Oh, the dog didn't bark? THAT is the curious matter.

Nowhere is it mentioned that any CIA personnel or visitors were killed, lost, injured, or had to get the hell out of Dodge, with or wihtout their secret documents. Was anybody there? Or had they all been told to take the day off?

If there was a CIA offfice in that building, then THAT is the story.
15 posted on 11/04/2001 8:09:48 AM PST by Iwo Jima

To: madrussian; malarski; Askel5; GROUCHOTWO; Zviadist; kristinn; Free the USA; Black Jade...
-
16 posted on 11/04/2001 9:29:08 AM PST by CommiesOut
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing; Uncle Bill
Source code for this thread now copied and filed here on my hard drive.
17 posted on 11/04/2001 9:46:51 AM PST by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace

This is a REPRINT from the NY Times. Are you referring to them as the commies?

18 posted on 11/04/2001 9:47:53 AM PST by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace

I always enjoy your posts - you have a real flair with words!
19 posted on 11/04/2001 9:49:08 AM PST by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace

To: NotJustAnotherPrettyFace; Grampa Dave
I always enjoy your posts - you have a real flair with words!
He does, doesn't he?. . .

;-)

20 posted on 11/04/2001 10:01:16 AM PST by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-55 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson