Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Race Crimes soar in the aftermath of 11 September (My Title)
London Evening Standard | 1 November 2001 | Justin Davenport

Posted on 11/01/2001 9:18:55 AM PST by BritBulldog

Race Hate crime in Tower Hamlets soared by 72 per cent last month in the aftermath of 11th September, writes Justin Davenport.

Police say they believed at least 17 incidents were directly motivated by the terror attacks. Eight victims were white, assaulted by Asian youths.

The number of race crimes rose to 100 in September, compared to 58 in the same month the previous year. In October the total was 96, compared to 75 in October 2000.

Oona King, Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said "The point is that the 11th September has polarised communities and when that happens you get these sort of attacks from both sides."

East London mosque manager Siraj Salekin said "In the first few weeks after the attacks there was a lot of abuse and threats at the mosque, hate mail and a threat to kill our iman."

But Chief Superintendent Rose Fitzpatrick said police had urged members of ethnic minorities to report all attacks, "As a result we expected the figures to increase."

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
If 8 victims of 17 incidents were white (nearly 50% and that seems to be the general average in these white-muslim areas) were white why do police urge only ethnic minorities to report all attacks.
1 posted on 11/01/2001 9:18:56 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: BritBulldog
Can you post the original link?

Thank-you.

2 posted on 11/01/2001 9:21:13 AM PST by SocialMeltdown
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Good thing they have gun control over there. Someone might get hurt.
3 posted on 11/01/2001 9:21:20 AM PST by TomServo

Silly! Don't you know only white men can commit hate crimes?
4 posted on 11/01/2001 9:22:34 AM PST by Ratatoskr

5000 people died on 9-11 because they were American.

Why isn't this considered a hate crime?

Could the fact that the majority of them were white have anything to do with it?

Lets get worked up over 17 incidents.

5 posted on 11/01/2001 9:24:01 AM PST by eFudd

To: SocialMeltdown
The original link as requested.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/html/news.html

6 posted on 11/01/2001 9:29:15 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Surge in LONDON's race-hate crime

by Justin Davenport

Race-hate crime in Tower Hamlets soared by 72 per cent last month in the aftermath of 11 September.

Police said they believed at least 17 incidents were directly motivated by the terror attacks. Eight victims were white, assaulted by Asian youths.

The number of race crimes rose to 100 in September, compared to 58 in the same month the previous year. In October the total was 96, compared to 75 in October 2000.

Oona King, Labour MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: "The point is that 11 September has polarised communities and when that happens you get these sort of attacks from both sides."

East London mosque manager Siraj Salekin said: "In the first few weeks after the attacks there was a lot of abuse and threats. We had a bomb threat at the mosque, hate mail and a threat to kill our imam."

But Chief Superintendent Rose Fitzpatrick said police had urged members of ethnic minorities to report all attacks: "As a result we expected the figures to increase."

article source

7 posted on 11/01/2001 9:30:31 AM PST by Eric Esot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Eric Esot; BritBulldog
Thanks guys.

I always like to see the original source before I go off quoting statistics.

More proof that "diversity is our greatest strength" I guess...

8 posted on 11/01/2001 9:42:00 AM PST by SocialMeltdown
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Thanks guys. I always like to see the original source before I go off quoting statistics. More proof that "diversity is our greatest strength" I guess...

Not forgetting that many attacks on whites are not classed as racial

9 posted on 11/01/2001 9:50:24 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Sad isnt it? I have a directory for East India Dock Rd and Commercial Rd, Stepney for 1914. My Gt Grandfather had the Duke of York public house. There was an amazing mix of names, business wise. Irish and Jewish were well in evidence with native Londoners. My Dad often told me of things poverty and also boxing, of a very rough era. He never mentioned any race hate, circa pre World War One.

Expatriate here. I sincerely believe that some groups simply Do not belong ie do not belong anywhere, except where they are from. Oh, welcome Irish, welcome Jews, some great professional boxers in days gone past,from these guys living in the East-End. Cheers.

10 posted on 11/01/2001 9:59:37 AM PST by Peter Libra

Not forgetting that many attacks on whites are not classed as racial.

It can only be deemed racial if the recipient of the crime belongs to a race that is, or has been, "oppressed"

11 posted on 11/01/2001 10:05:23 AM PST by Eric Esot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Here's more of the same from Denmark and Australia. Sorry about the html - I got it from another bbs.

Here's a short article from the Copenhagen Denmark newspaper. I'll include a link so that you know it's not just an urban legend.

http://cphpost.periskop.dk/default.asp?id=17837

The article reads in its entirety:

26. oktober 2001

The country's leading Muslim organisations have initiated a campaign to focus on, and hopefully find a solution to, the increasing number of gang rapes being committed by teenage immigrants. Babar Baig, spokesman for the Muslim Youth League, said it was the duty of all Muslims to get to the bottom of '...this abnormal behaviour and moral depravity.' The campaign kicked off with a public debate in Valby this week attended by Muslim leaders, social researchers, integration experts and politicians.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is virtually the same news, word for word, that came out of Australia during the summer. It is at an epidemic level both there and in France.

Here's an excerpt about the topic from a Sydney newspaper...

But what is much more disturbing about this entire episode is that it appears to reflect a much wider phenomenon - sexual attacks on non-Muslim women by young Muslim men, a by-product of poverty and cultural marginalisation.

The problem was documented by the venerable French newspaper Le Monde earlier this year. In April, Le Monde reported that the trial in Paris of 11 young North African Arab men accused of gang-raping a 14-year-old girl was part of a phenomenon known as tournante (literally, take-your-turn), or pack rape, among France's urban immigrant poor, where young Muslim men targeted young Caucasian women. Le Monde reported that judicial investigations into tournantes had taken place in Paris, Strasbourg, BesanÇon and Cergy in the past year.

Last month The Sun-Herald revealed that police were dealing with a similar phenomenon in Sydney, where dozens of sexual assaults appear to have been carried out by young Muslim immigrant men, allegedly mostly Lebanese, against young non-Muslim women. As recently as this month, a 17-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in Margaret Street, Greenacre, by three young men described by police as "of Middle-Eastern extraction", a term now regarded as a police euphemism for "probably Lebanese".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0108/29/opinion/opinion5.html

12 posted on 11/01/2001 10:07:48 AM PST by white trash redneck

To: white trash redneck
Note your post and thanks. Please excuse the catharsis here. Yeah, now to the point. We in Canada have born the brunt of amusing commercials epitomising the tough- brutally tough ,Australian. Not that I am saying they dont exist. Political correctness has them under wraps. They boasted of an "Australian rules" football guy. A big ugly Neanderthal who made commercials for extra strength batteries about ten years ago. Yeah, tear em' apart, he would come right at ya from the T/V screen.

Then there is the old crocodile man, pleasant enough guy, sidesteps scads of ugly,ugly psychopaths(Actors).He does not compromise one iota though. Leaves em standing. He pushes the Japanese four wheeler. Poor old British(me and comrades) always slightly intimidated by the reputation of the ard' ard' Aussies. Now I wouldnt be a scared of any one of em'. In Britain, hard guys are giving it to the Islamic bullies of poor old men, whom they beat up.This in Oldham, Lancashire. Please Aussie hard men get stuck in, prove me wrong. You know what you have to do. (Knuckle sandwich).

13 posted on 11/01/2001 10:57:06 AM PST by Peter Libra
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Peter Libra
Sad isnt it? I have a directory for East India Dock Rd and Commercial Rd, Stepney for 1914. My Gt Grandfather had the Duke of York public house. There was an amazing mix of names, business wise. Irish and Jewish were well in evidence with native Londoners. My Dad often told me of things poverty and also boxing, of a very rough era. He never mentioned any race hate, circa pre World War One.

Yes it is very sad. There was never any serious race problems in the past until now. The Jews have moved on and up to be replaced by those from Bangladesh. Just recently there was an unexploded bomb from ww2 found in the area. The police had real problems evacuating the area, because (can you believe it) the Bangladeshi population had never heard of the blitz. I think that story goes someway to illustrate the problems we are facing.

14 posted on 11/03/2001 3:14:07 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Thanks, I have heard all of the stories that you mention. I find it amazing that the world's media does not seem fit to cover some of them. Now, if the victims of these racial crimes were blacks in the deep south, I wonder whether the world's media would be so reticent.
15 posted on 11/03/2001 3:18:58 AM PST by BritBulldog

But what is much more disturbing about this entire episode is that it appears to reflect a much wider phenomenon - sexual attacks on non-Muslim women by young Muslim men, a by-product of poverty and cultural marginalisation.

We have the same sort of problems (in my town) here in the UK of harassment of non-muslim women by muslims. For some reason it doesn't seem to lead to the more serious type of crimes you mention, but give us time.

16 posted on 11/03/2001 3:39:00 AM PST by BritBulldog

To: eFudd
No. 5000+ people died on 9/11 because they were IN America.Many of them poor immigrants from poor undeveloped nations. But in terms of Tower Hamlets - a crime is a crime whoever/ wherever. No need to get underwear in a twist.
17 posted on 11/03/2001 3:39:06 AM PST by Gimlet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson