Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Russians kill scores of Chechens in "special operations" including rebel president's body guard
AFP via Yahoo! News ^ | Monday October 29, 6:25 PM | AFP

Posted on 10/29/2001 8:42:38 AM PST by Pericles

Monday October 29, 6:25 PM

Chechen fury as Russian choppers kill mother of four, teenager

MOSCOW, Oct 29 (AFP) - Hundreds of angry Chechen villagers besieged a local administrator's office Monday demanding justice after Russian helicopters overflew a car and shot dead two of its occupants, a teenager and a mother of four, officials said.

Prosecutors said they had identified suspects in the killings which occurred as three helicopters near Komsomolskoye, in the Gudermes district just east of the capital Grozny, flew over the car, which was carrying vegetables to market, and one of them opened fire.

The helicopter's crew landed and took the bodies away, local administrative chief Akhmed Abastov said.

The villagers demanded that the suspects be handed over to them, he said.

In Gudermes, a spokesman for Chechnya's chief pro-Russian administrator, Akhmad Kadyrov, said the bodies of the dead villagers would be handed over for burial.

Meanwhile two teenage girls were killed as a Chechen village came under fire at the weekend.

The girls, aged 14 and 15, died on Saturday at Goity, in the Urus-Martan region some 25 kilometres (15 miles) southwest of the capital Grozny in what could have been an attack by federal forces, officials told the Interfax news agency.

"The village was caught under fire by large-calibre weapons and mortars. The fire came from near where a military unit was located," local administrator Shirvani Yanayev said.

Sixteen houses in the village were destroyed and local prosecutors have opened criminal proceedings, Interfax said, noting that shell fragments with their factory numbers on them had been found.

Meanwhile the head of the Nozhai-Yurt regional police was shot dead at Argun, 10 kilometres (six miles) east of Grozny, Russian interior ministry sources said.

Salavdi Gairbekov died when the car he was travelling in came under fire late Sunday, Interax quoted the sources as saying, adding that several other people were killed or wounded in the attack.

Gairbekov's wife, Isita Gairbekov, is the head of the Nozhai-Yurt administration. Her house has been attacked several times and her sister killed, the agency said.

Russian military officials said Monday their forces had killed around 40 rebel fighters and eliminated six rebel bases in a series of special operations in the Vedeno, Kurchaloi and Nozhai-Yurt regions in the east and south of the country.

Around 100 others were detained for questioning during the operations carried out over the weekend, ITAR-TASS quoted the officials as saying.

The NTV television channel said that Ali Sultanov, a bodyguard of Chechen rebel president Aslan Maskhadov, was killed in one of the operations.

A spokesman for FSB (ex-KGB) security services told the television that Sultanov had resisted arrest and was shot in an exchange of fire.

TOPICS: Breaking News; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-127 next last
Accidents happen. The Chechen rebel "president" got the "messages".

Victory is sweet.

1 posted on 10/29/2001 8:42:38 AM PST by Pericles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Pericles
Pericles and I mean this as a compliment I think you would not of looked out of place in SS Black or NKVD Green.

You are wasted in America a man or your talents as regards attitude to human life would be better of over here in Europe.

I understand your mentality I too have the same attitude well I did during the long war in the 80s. But you are a natural you did not even have to go through a brutalising war to become so callouse

Tony

2 posted on 10/29/2001 8:48:18 AM PST by tonycavanagh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Not feeling the slightest bit of remorse . not sying thats the corrrect way to feel but its the truth . chechen or taliban ........... both hate USA and Russia .
3 posted on 10/29/2001 8:49:52 AM PST by Ryeoc

Good hunting!
4 posted on 10/29/2001 8:50:06 AM PST by Brusensky

Bump to the Ruskies.

ATTENTION NEVILLE POWELL.....THAT is how you deal with terrorists, are you paying attention??????
5 posted on 10/29/2001 8:51:59 AM PST by Nuke'm Glowing

To: tonycavanagh
Did you feel the same way when Americans accidentally killed some civilian Afghanis? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I don't see anything wrong with what Percles said.
6 posted on 10/29/2001 8:56:44 AM PST by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Ryeoc
Amen to that. May be from now on, our stupid media/politicians will not be so sympathetic with Bosnians, Albanians, Chechenians.....and all these hatefull moslems. We helped them in the past, ans they showed us that they are ungratefull bastereds.
7 posted on 10/29/2001 8:58:54 AM PST by philosofy123
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

The Russians know how to get it done. They don't have us back the opposition this time. We must follow their example. I love listening to former KGB boss Oleg Kalugin. He is right on target with these terrorists. The KGB made the terrorists fear the Russians. Put Mr. Kalugin in charge and Bin Laden will be eliminated quickly.
8 posted on 10/29/2001 9:04:40 AM PST by JDGreen123

To: Nuke'm Glowing
ATTENTION NEVILLE POWELL.....THAT is how you deal with terrorists, are you paying attention??????

In your blood-lust perhaps you've simply not given this as much thought as you should.

How is it that the Russians are suddenly having so much success? This is what -- the third big coup they've scored against the Chechens in just the last couple of weeks. It's a pretty significant change in results as compared to the last couple of years.

What do you suppose could be driving that change? Perhaps a little quid pro quo? Something like, "hey, Vladimir: we'll give you intel on the Chechens if you'll let us stage our attacks on the Taliban from your territory."

Perhaps "Neville" has a little more on the ball than you're willing to admit.

9 posted on 10/29/2001 9:10:42 AM PST by r9etb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Take their oil fields and pump Chechnya dry!!! Muslims have enough oil and can't be trusted with it. Muslim oil money is what fuels their mad Jihads.
10 posted on 10/29/2001 9:25:13 AM PST by dennisw

Spare me Tony.

You are a known Slavaphobe. You have never felt one ounce of sympathy when a Slav;Serb,Russian,Macedonian was on the receiving end of some 'muslim induced carnage.'

11 posted on 10/29/2001 9:28:08 AM PST by oilfieldtrash

There are scores of Chechen "mujahedeen" right now in Afghanistan now (rather than in their homeland) anxious to kill American servicemen. The Chechens are an extraordinarily brutal people, living by raiding, theft, hostage-taking. They are not "just like" the neighbors there in your suburban tract. Until you have an encounter with one of them, I don't think you have any idea what the word "callous" means.
12 posted on 10/29/2001 9:30:17 AM PST by Map Kernow

Great! Good news, and a good guide to dealing with terrorists.

I wonder if the Russians would consider training some of our people?

13 posted on 10/29/2001 9:30:30 AM PST by neutrino

To: Map Kernow
This is true.
14 posted on 10/29/2001 9:37:18 AM PST by tomahawk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

May Russia pound the Chechen Extremists into finely grained sand! Is that callous enough? lol
15 posted on 10/29/2001 9:53:13 AM PST by ohioman

If they got the rebel president's bodyguard, that means they missed. But I applaud their effort.
16 posted on 10/29/2001 10:06:52 AM PST by ValerieUSA

To: madrussian; CommiesOut
Uh oh. This might p/o the Muslims. Can't have that.
17 posted on 10/29/2001 10:18:55 AM PST by Inyokern

To: oilfieldtrash
Couldn't have said it better.
18 posted on 10/29/2001 10:19:26 AM PST by Stavka2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

"A spokesman for FSB (ex-KGB) security services told the television that Sultanov had resisted arrest and was shot in an exchange of fire."

This is how to win wars and settle arguments. Dialogue is useless with these people. I applaud the Russkies for their actions.

19 posted on 10/29/2001 10:25:42 AM PST by mgc1122

To: Ryeoc
chechen or taliban ........... both hate USA and Russia

It's still rather eerie that we now lump the USA and Russia together. I hope our relationship grows.

DOWN with the Chechens & Talibans!!!! UP with USA and Russia :-)

20 posted on 10/29/2001 10:31:56 AM PST by Gracey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-127 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson