Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

More Guns, Less Crime--and Less Terrorism
Jerusalem Post ^ | October 23, 2001 | Etgar Lefkovits

Posted on 10/23/2001 8:09:26 AM PDT by elenchus

Quick-shot soldier ends gunman's rampage By Etgar Lefkovits

JERUSALEM (October 23) - A rampaging Palestinian gunman was shot dead by a quick-thinking soldier in Jerusalem's Talpiot industrial zone yesterday, preventing further deaths.

It was just before 11 a.m. when Yousef Muhammad Ayash, a 33-year-old mechanic from the Palestinian-controlled village or Irtas south of Bethlehem, entered the Talpiot garage where he had been employed until his work permit expired. Jerusalem police chief Cmdr. Mickey Levy said Ayash got into a heated dispute with the garage owner over financial matters.

Ayash suddenly pulled out a pistol and shot and seriously wounded his former boss. He then ran out to the intersection of Harehev and Harshei Barzel streets, launching into a shooting spree in which three more people were lightly wounded.

It ended when Sgt. Ramin Rosenblatt, 20, shot Ayash dead with his service rifle, having been called out from the garage where his car was being fixed by the sound of gun fire.

Islamic Jihad later claimed responsibility for Ayash's rampage. The Israel Police, having first investigated a possible criminal motivation to his actions, concluded last night that he was in fact nationalistically motivated.

Three of the wounded were rushed to Jerusalem's Hadassah-University Hospital at Ein Kerem, while the fourth was taken to Shaare Zedek Hospital.

"[Ayash] was just shooting wildly. He would run and shoot, run and shoot," recalled eyewitness Shosh Moore, who was getting her car fixed at a nearby garage. "I've seen terror attacks on the news, but when you experience it personally it is a completely different thing," said the clearly jarred middle-aged woman, who described how she ran into the shelter of a nearby office building after the shooting started.

In the meantime, the shooting had drawn the attention of Rosenblatt who, along with a plainclothes policeman, pursued Ayash. The two shouted at the gunman to stop, but were met with a gunshot.

"I saw him aiming his pistol at us, and I knew that one of us would shoot," Rosenblatt recalled.

Ayash's former boss said last night from his hospital bed that the gunman had ceased working at his garage several months ago. He also denied that he owed the Palestinian any money.

Levy made note of the many garage owners in the area who illegally employ Palestinian workers without proper permits to be in Israel.

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last
How many more would have died if there were no armed person nearby. Americans must have the right to bear arms, whether for fighting crime or terrorism. In states where licensing is required, take the trouble to get your license--while you still can! While doing so, do what you can to oppose licensing requirements (and the irrational delays that tend to accompany them) to reduce crime and terrorism. Let's learn from the Israelis' example. The only way to deal with maniacal criminals, including Islamic madmen, is with force. We cannot realize safety by trying to make them like us.
1 posted on 10/23/2001 8:09:26 AM PDT by elenchus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: elenchus; *bang_list
bang
2 posted on 10/23/2001 8:21:08 AM PDT by harpseal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: elenchus
Once again, peace through supperior firepower!
3 posted on 10/23/2001 8:50:39 AM PDT by angry beaver norbert

Three cheers for the soldier and the Jerusalem Post. It must be wonderful to have a clear thinking newpaper that didn't use the dreaded "Assault Rifle" term but used the correct Service Rifle description.
4 posted on 10/23/2001 9:17:45 AM PDT by Shooter 2.5

Done it. Concealed carry, large capacity.

My wife bought me a Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum for my birthday, and I never leave homewithout it. 158 grain Hydra-shock Plus-P hollow points round out the ensemble... quite effectively.

Fore-armed is fore-armed.

5 posted on 10/23/2001 9:39:45 AM PDT by Gargantua

To: Shooter 2.5
It must be wonderful to have a clear thinking newpaper that didn't use the dreaded "Assault Rifle" term . . .

I am waiting for the media here in the US to start talking about the really evil "A-pepper Rifle". It's nothing to sneeze at 'ya know.

6 posted on 10/23/2001 10:17:48 AM PDT by Mr_Magoo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

as an old COL of MPs once told all MPOB classes, "you will probably never need a pistol but once in your career, but that ONE TIME you will need it BADLY!". 'Nuff said!

for dixie,sw

7 posted on 10/23/2001 10:29:16 AM PDT by stand watie

There are several things we could learn from the Israelis, and bearing arms is but one of their better ideas.
8 posted on 10/23/2001 10:47:57 AM PDT by Redbob

It ended when Sgt. Ramin Rosenblatt, 20, shot Ayash dead with his service rifle, having been called out from the garage where his car was being fixed by the sound of gun fire.

He heard the sound of gunfire... and he ran toward it

Bump for Israel, Bump for RKBA, Bump for Dead Terrorists!

9 posted on 10/23/2001 11:21:02 AM PDT by xm177e2

I think it may be time for a "trunk gun". Maybe a shorty Russian SKS? Much more effective than a handgun, economical, and rugged to survive life in the trunk.
10 posted on 10/23/2001 11:29:02 AM PDT by FreedomPoster

To: Shooter 2.5
I had an e-mail argument with a Florida based reporter over his use of "assault rifle" in an article he'd written. His defense that the term "assault rifle" was generic for anything that even looked like a military weapon.

Note: In order to be an assault rifle, the weapon must possess a number of characteristics, one which is being capable of full automatic firing.

I argued that following his logic, I must then refer to him by the generic description of a journalist, i.e., a lying, ignorant SOB.

He didn't reply to that.

11 posted on 10/23/2001 11:40:34 AM PDT by Crucis Country
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

If this happened in America, Ayash would be arrested for (at the very least) public endangerment. After defending himself against sundry criminal charges, he would be sued by the family of the terrorist and a pro-bono ACLU lawyer who would strip him of whatever assets remained after defending himself from the government. Child protective services would probably take his kids from him to protect them from his violent influence. Continue in this vein ad nauseum.
12 posted on 10/23/2001 11:59:27 AM PDT by PsyOp

To: FreedomPoster
"I think it may be time for a "trunk gun". Maybe a shorty Russian SKS? Much more effective than a handgun, economical, and rugged to survive life in the trunk.
"

A chopped up SKS will survive the trunk, but not provide the firepower and accuracy you need in a quick access trunk gun.

I would suggest the following combo:

Top it off with an ACOG mil-spec dot scope:

Then get your self some fine Israeli Military Industries Green-Tip SS109 Ammo:

And you TOO can blow away terrorist scum just like Sgt. Rosenblatt!

13 posted on 10/23/2001 12:39:50 PM PDT by HadEnough
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Crucis Country
LOL. I'll have to remember that story. Good one.
14 posted on 10/23/2001 12:46:16 PM PDT by Shooter 2.5
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Mercuria
15 posted on 10/23/2001 12:51:13 PM PDT by Freedom2specul8

And notice how the soldier didn't "shoot to wound"....

Dead men cease firing.

There's peace through superior firepower, and there's also peace through well-placed firepower.

Bravo to this young man for doing his duty!

16 posted on 10/23/2001 2:33:49 PM PDT by John R. (Bob) Locke

America owes her independence to men who understood very clearly the need for an armed and weapons skilled civilian population. What was clear in Washington's time is no less clear today. (See The Right To Keep & Bear Arms.)

William Flax

17 posted on 10/23/2001 2:40:43 PM PDT by Ohioan

At this moment I am going through the steps of applying for a hand gun permit in New York. Holy shit! You gotta move all Heaven and Earth to get one here!
18 posted on 10/23/2001 3:12:25 PM PDT by Shenandoah

To: xm177e2
He heard the sound of gunfire... and he ran toward it

Wasn't that G.A. Custer's maxim?

d;^)

19 posted on 10/23/2001 3:25:29 PM PDT by Chuckster
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Chuckster
I don't know who said it first... the only time I've ever heard it used was when there was a school shooting and one of the people nearby had a gun and stopped it. A police officer at a press conference said the guy who shot the gunman was a hero. The reporter asked how the guy was a "hero," and the policeman said, "because he heard gunfire, and he ran towards it," or something to that effect.
20 posted on 10/23/2001 9:19:48 PM PDT by xm177e2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson