Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Congressman Says Use Targeted Nukes On The Afghan Caves, Close Them For 1000 Years...
Yahoo! News ^

Posted on 10/19/2001 11:23:30 AM PDT by Recovering_Democrat

Rep. Buyer Suggests Limited Nuclear Retaliation

U.S. Rep. Steve Buyer says that the United States should use tactical nuclear weapons against Osama bin Laden's terrorist network in Afghanistan if it is linked to recent anthrax incidents in the United States.

The Indiana Republican said that small, specialized nuclear weapons -- not as powerful as the atom bombs that were used in World War II -- could be used on the caves where members of bin Laden's network have taken shelter.

Buyer, a Gulf War veteran, said that the use of the weapons would be a proper response if bin Laden's people are linked to the anthrax cases in Florida, Washington, New York and elsewhere in the United States.

"Don't send special forces in there to sweep," Buyer said. "We'd be very naïve to believe that biotoxins and chemical agents were not in these caves. Put a tactical nuclear device in, and close these caves for a thousand years."

Buyer said that he hadn't talked with other lawmakers or the Bush administration about the idea, and didn't know how many in the government would support it.

Buyer stresses that he doesn't advocate the use of full-power nuclear bombs, but he acknowledged that much of the world wouldn't see the difference.

"I just want the (Bush) administration to know that I think the United States needs to send a message to the world that we are prepared to do that," Buyer said.

TOPICS: Announcements; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last
Buyer, a fine man, was part of the impeachment team. What a great suggestion...Nuke the H*** out of those caves, then Useless never-Bin-Laiden won't be able to hide in them. :)
1 posted on 10/19/2001 11:23:30 AM PDT by Recovering_Democrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Recovering_Democrat
The only way to be sure of getting garbage-bin-laden would be to nuke the whole damn country.
2 posted on 10/19/2001 11:30:22 AM PDT by deadrock
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

My only reservation is that, once somebody touches off a nuclear device, the dam will be broken and it will happen more and more often.

I agree, though. Don't send anybody into those caves. That is exactly what bin Wierdo has wanted from the very beginning. Find some way of killing the cockroaches where they hide.

3 posted on 10/19/2001 11:33:34 AM PDT by Reelect President Dubya

It's nice to see that we have at least one legislator to whom the lives of Americans, including American servicemen, are at the top of the priority heap.

Once upon a time we A-bombed two Japanese cities to save American casualties we expected to incur from an invasion of Japan's home islands. I've never been perfectly sure that was a good thing we did, especially since there is some evidence that a Japanese surrender on acceptable terms could have been had without it, but I have no doubt whatsoever that tactical nukes are the best way to eliminate the fabled Afghani caves and anyone sheltering in them, at minimal cost to the United States both in blood and in gold.

Let's just try to be sure we hit the right caves, while the right people are in them.

Freedom, Wealth, and Peace,
Francis W. Porretto
Visit the Palace Of Reason: http://palaceofreason.com

4 posted on 10/19/2001 11:33:46 AM PDT by fporretto

Oh, you mean one of those Congressional cowards who abandoned their positions on the Potomac over a little white powder in a few envelopes?

Hell, if even the Senate can stay in session, I have NO RESPECT for our House Members who bolted.

5 posted on 10/19/2001 11:36:18 AM PDT by BenR2

About time, I disagree on just using small tactical devices on caves though.
6 posted on 10/19/2001 11:37:14 AM PDT by okie_tech

To: DEADROCK
I couldn't have said it better myself. While we're at it...why not that whole corner of the globe?
7 posted on 10/19/2001 11:39:05 AM PDT by ninachka
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

IMO, Tactical nukes are our only option. The whole world is watching to see our response to the first use of WMD. MAD has always been our policy, and it's keept the peace until now. We've used nukes before in 1945, and no one has used them since simply because of deterance. If deterance fails, what is there to stop anyone from useing them? Now they are calling our bluff. What will we do? If we don't use WMD's (even tactical nukes)in response, do you think anyone will believe in deterance in the future? That China, N.Korea, India, or Russia will hesitate to use them in thier squabbles? We have to use them, or loose thier value.

-Snerdley

"Never start a fight, but by God, ALWAYS FINISH IT!"
-Captain John Sheridan
Earth Space Station Babylon 5

8 posted on 10/19/2001 11:40:33 AM PDT by Snerdley

How about this.... has anyone seen pictures of an underground nuclear detonation? No mushroom, just a big blast and then the ground gives in... So we use one of those penetrator nukes, no big fireball, but probably it will leave a bit of radioactive residue.. what WE then say is that no, thats not radioactivity due to a nuke, its our latest conventional bunker busting bomb, which uses depleted uranium to enhance its penetrating ability... yeah, thats the ticket...
9 posted on 10/19/2001 11:42:18 AM PDT by Paradox

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

To: ninachka
"While we're at it...why not that whole corner of the globe?"

what a genius idea! while we're at it, why not just re-write the Constitution?!

God help us all

11 posted on 10/19/2001 11:42:44 AM PDT by Benson_Carter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

If Spec OP types hand deliver these devices and set them back inside the cave entrances, say 50 meters, the environmental effects would not be any worse than the average underground nuke test, but would make those caves unusable for a very long time - those portions not obliterated, of course.
12 posted on 10/19/2001 11:43:36 AM PDT by PsyOp

The problem is that they don't really know where he is. If the did, I'm sure the "bunkerbuster" would be enough to smoke him out. If you nike everything, how do you know you got him.
13 posted on 10/19/2001 11:55:19 AM PDT by 74dodgedart

To: Paradox
That's not radioactivity due to a nuke, its our latest conventional bunker busting bomb.<

Guess they must have had some radioactive stuff in that there cave, Coulda been bombs or area denial type stuff!

Who would ever be able to prove it one way or the other?

14 posted on 10/19/2001 11:56:27 AM PDT by Not now, Not ever!
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Reelect President Dubya
Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Middle of Freakin' Nowhere Afghanistan.

As long as we can "confirm" that OBL and his boys are inside the caves, AND we know where all the entrances are, bury them alive.

Move on to Iraq.

15 posted on 10/19/2001 11:57:56 AM PDT by GEC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: trebor
Deploy nuclear weapons in caves? Seriously?

I guess some folks still haven't switched to decaff.
16 posted on 10/19/2001 11:58:21 AM PDT by George W. Bush
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Benson_Carter
I suppose you haven't had relatives or friends killed by these fanatics, have you. Well, I have.

They are the biggest threat to the future of this world and they must be stopped. Saying "please" doesn't work with them. Their goal is to take over the world and turn it into a fundamentalist Islamic planet. If you doubt that then you are blind. It has nothing to do with past U.S. foreign policy or poverty or our support for Israel. Those are just excuses to rile up the masses into hating us and excuses for them to use as justification for their terrorist actions against us and anyone else they consider to be "infidels" (which is everyone who is not a 'fundamentalist' moslem).

Follow the money trail and it is clear...most nations in the Arabian peninsula support Al Quaeda...therefore they are a part of the problem. As president Bush said, "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists."

17 posted on 10/19/2001 12:00:09 PM PDT by ninachka
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: George W. Bush
Nukes won't work. Cockroaches can survive a nuclear attack.
18 posted on 10/19/2001 12:01:53 PM PDT by Snardius
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: George W. Bush
I am in favor of the strategic placement of neutron bombs, however.
19 posted on 10/19/2001 12:03:53 PM PDT by Snardius
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Paradox
I agree, time to do some nuclear testing under the mountians of Afganistan! Maybe the special ops guys brought a drilling rig with them?
20 posted on 10/19/2001 12:05:20 PM PDT by ItsTheMediaStupid
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson