Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

INS Detains Student allegedly acting suspicious near natural-gas plant
Joplin Globe ^ | 10-13-01 | Jeff Lehr

Posted on 10/13/2001 7:37:55 PM PDT by knuthom

INS detains student 27-year-old allegedly acting suspicious near natural-gas plant

NEOSHO, Mo. — A Crowder College student from Central Asia was detained recently for a possible visa violation after he was spotted allegedly acting in a suspicious manner inside a fenced-off compound of a local natural gas service company.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service reportedly detained Radik A. Abdrafigin, 27, on Sept. 26.

Newton County Sheriff Ron Doerge said the detention followed an investigation by his department of a report of a suspicious incident on or about Sept. 21.

He said employees of a natural gas service company in northern Newton County reported an encounter with a male of “Middle Eastern appearance.”

“He was actually inside their compound area driving a vehicle and acting strange enough that they took down his tag number,” Doerge said.

The sheriff said it took a few days to locate Abdrafigin because he was no longer living at the address listed for his license plate number.

FBI and INS agents accompanied sheriff’s investigators to a Neosho address where they found him on Sept. 26, and the INS detained him for possible visa violations, Doerge said.

“It is my understanding they will be having a hearing to determine if he should be deported,” the sheriff said.

Doerge declined to provide the identity of the natural gas company or the address where Abdrafigin was staying most recently.

The sheriff said Abdrafigin was not charged with any crime in Newton County. He said Abdrafigin had entered the natural gas company’s compound through gates that are left open during certain business hours.

The sheriff said that people with whom Abdrafigin had been staying in Neosho have contacted the Sheriff’s Department to express concern over what will happen to him.

“They thought he was an excellent student and someone they apparently took a liking to,” the sheriff said.

Doerge said the Sheriff’s Department contacted the FBI because of alerts issued by the federal government in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and because “we have no way of knowing if he is connected with any group that might be engaged in subversive activities.”

Kelly Meadows, a sheriff’s investigator familiar with the case, said Abdrafigin identified himself as a Russian national and a Muslim who lived somewhere east of the Ural Mountains.

Meadows said Abdrafigin had been in the United States three to four years and had entered on a one-year visa that had long expired.

He is enrolled this semester at Crowder College and was a student there all of last school year, Meadows said. Before that, Abdrafigin told investigators that he’d lived for a while in Joplin.

Meadows said the investigation also revealed that Abdrafigin received truck-driver training in the U.S. and had a current Missouri chauffeur’s license with certification to haul hazardous materials.

Lisa Adams of the registrar’s office at Crowder College in Neosho said Abdrafigin was majoring in business administration.

She said he first enrolled in the fall of 1998, studying in the college’s English as a Second Language program for a year.

He did not return the following school year but did re-enroll in the fall of 2000.

Adams said the college’s records show his passport is current.

She said college records also show he has F1 status, or student status, with the INS. She said that normally allows aliens to legally remain in the country even though their visas have expired.

Adams said such persons would need to update their visas if they wished to leave.

A spokesman for the INS office in Kansas City, did not get back to the Globe on Friday after saying he would check to see if any information about Abdrafigin’s detention could be released.

Jeff Lanza, spokesman for the FBI office in Kansas City, said such detentions are an INS matter and that the FBI does not comment on them.

Meadows said two employees of the natural gas service company approached Abdrafigin’s vehicle after spotting him inside the compound.

He reportedly told them he was trying to find Seneca and they provided him directions.

“But rather than looking at them or paying attention to the directions they were giving him, he seemed to them to be looking around the plant,” Meadows said.

Abdrafigin drove off in a direction opposite that they had provided for getting to Seneca, he said.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-53 next last
I find the fact that he has a haz-mat license troubling. His visa has expired. Deport the guy.
1 posted on 10/13/2001 7:37:56 PM PDT by knuthom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: knuthom
If this isn't a DUH! for the INS I don't know what is...I'd like us to follow this one....could determine the future of our lives...if the INS DOESN'T deport....well, .....it's not a pretty picture I see.
2 posted on 10/13/2001 7:43:12 PM PDT by goodnesswins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

There are too many "coincidences" here. Certainly sounds like he had the truck/harardous training and was looking for a target. Hope he is long gone or in jail.
3 posted on 10/13/2001 7:43:25 PM PDT by jraven

Wow! good find.

Ashland, Missouri

4 posted on 10/13/2001 7:43:42 PM PDT by rface

bump
5 posted on 10/13/2001 7:45:02 PM PDT by Licensed-To-Carry

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

I'm about 60 miles south of Neosho, Mo...they're getting closer and closer....
8 posted on 10/13/2001 7:54:15 PM PDT by TomGuy

To: jraven
You are clearly being paranoid. This is an isolated and unrelated incident. (barf)
9 posted on 10/13/2001 7:57:39 PM PDT by cactmh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

HEY !!!! Get off the kids a$$....I hang out at natural gas plants all the time....when i'm not there i go check out the refineries and nuclear power plants.... < /sarcasam>

We can't deport these guys....they'll just come back under a new name....evidently getting false papers is easy to do. So what do we do with 'em?

10 posted on 10/13/2001 7:57:58 PM PDT by is_is

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

I am sure they won't deport him. Non-Citizens have more rights than anyone in the world!
12 posted on 10/13/2001 8:03:12 PM PDT by TheLion

To: Stealthy
"Tatoo 'em"

OH THat would go over big witht the liberals....they'd link us to Hitler and the Nazi's.

Personally i think it's a good idea.....

13 posted on 10/13/2001 8:10:39 PM PDT by is_is
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

shoot and ask questions later, but whatever you do don't let him stay in the USA
14 posted on 10/13/2001 8:13:38 PM PDT by MagnusMat

The US govt. better start getting these SOBs out of the country before some patriotic americans start taking care of the problem.
15 posted on 10/13/2001 8:16:40 PM PDT by ChinaThreat

Another "student"??

Until we deport ALL Middle Easterners IMMEDIATELY we can expect at least one of these infiltrators will succeed. It's obvious thousands are here in the first place to plot and plan. But I guess that's still too PC BEFORE it happens.

We can always have them all re-apply but with the stipulation that they wear an implanted homing device.

16 posted on 10/13/2001 8:17:45 PM PDT by F16Fighter

Thanks for the post. I never expected the evil ones to try something in this area....obviously I was wrong. Regards.
17 posted on 10/13/2001 8:25:15 PM PDT by Ben Hecks

To: TomGuy
"I'm about 60 miles south of Neosho, Mo...they're getting closer and closer...."

I went on vacation this week, and the wife and I went to Hermann for a few days. We drove over to Jeff City for a day to go to the Capitol, and we passed the nuclear power plant in Callaway County. My wife gets carsick easily, so we had to drive by (couple miles away) slowly. Very uncomfortable feeling. I don't live too far from the Defense Mapping Agency facility here in South County. Maybe now that all the Minuteman's are gone from west MO, we'll move. Besides, I hate 270 traffic.

18 posted on 10/13/2001 8:26:03 PM PDT by toenail
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

Author: Ann Coulter Future Widows of America: Write your Congressman
20 posted on 10/13/2001 8:30:51 PM PDT by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-53 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson