Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Strikes destroy cave complexes and possibly leader's vehicle [Mullah Omar's SUV?]
Star-Ledger (Newark, NJ) ^ | 10/12/01 | BRADLEY GRAHAM AND VERNON LOEB

Posted on 10/12/2001 7:38:17 AM PDT by gumbo

Edited on 07/06/2004 6:36:44 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

WASHINGTON -- As U.S. warplanes pounded the Afghan capital of Kabul yesterday during the fifth straight day of bombing, Pentagon officials reported that airstrikes had devastated mountain cave complexes and may have struck Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar's Chevrolet Suburban with several as yet unidentified individuals inside.

(Excerpt) Read more at nj.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last
My first posting of this article got yanked a few minutes ago. I emailed the FR webmaster to ask why; haven't received a response yet but am assuming it's because the source was (ultimately) the Washington Post (though copied from the Star-Ledger website).

Can anyone tell me how to contact the site monitors without using email?

1 posted on 10/12/2001 7:38:18 AM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: gumbo
I had my reservations on just how complicit the Taliban has been in this whole campaign. Now that I found out that they drive SUV's, that did it! Bombs, bullets, bricks, bamboo chutes, let em have it all.....
2 posted on 10/12/2001 7:49:16 AM PDT by blackdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

just explain it to the site monitors by using the ABUSE button.
3 posted on 10/12/2001 7:49:26 AM PDT by japaneseghost

may have struck Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar's Chevrolet Suburban with several as yet unidentified individuals inside

Is this the vehicle where he liked to sit behind the wheel and go "vroom, vroom"?

4 posted on 10/12/2001 7:49:51 AM PDT by gumbo

To: japaneseghost
But to hit the abuse button, don't I have to go to another thread? My thread was already deleted.

(Wouldn't want to push the button on an innocent thread.)

5 posted on 10/12/2001 7:51:21 AM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

could have something to do with washington post...due to lawsuit.
6 posted on 10/12/2001 7:53:48 AM PDT by shield

Couple of different posts disappeared about that same time, as I was reading (trying to read) them. Thought it was a hacker for a moment.
7 posted on 10/12/2001 7:57:08 AM PDT by TomGuy

To: shield
Either that or somebody posted something over-the-top. Not that I saw anything wicked.

So far this one's lasted longer than the first, so maybe it was the lawsuit problem.

8 posted on 10/12/2001 7:57:50 AM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Is this the vehicle where he liked to sit behind the wheel and go "vroom, vroom"?

I hope Osama was riding shotgun.

9 posted on 10/12/2001 8:01:53 AM PDT by LibWhacker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I wonder, in a fit of anti-American propaganda, if they will blame the destruction on the Firestone tires?
10 posted on 10/12/2001 8:06:22 AM PDT by GoredInMich

"may have struck Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar's Chevrolet Suburban" ROTFLMAO....

Can't you almost hear the whining ..."But, but, but ... my Suburban. Those infidels have dared to attack it." For a guy who hates everything western, he has good taste in SUVs.

I'd wager these ragheads are wishing we were dropping aspirin and ear plugs at this point ... LOL!

11 posted on 10/12/2001 8:11:56 AM PDT by mgc1122

To: mgc1122
Rush was pointing out yesterday how these supposed cave-dwellers' robes are so white.

Maybe they have a few Maytags hooked up in them caves?

12 posted on 10/12/2001 8:15:59 AM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Chevy! Like A Rock! Well, it pretty much looks like a rock now.
13 posted on 10/12/2001 8:16:20 AM PDT by isthisnickcool

the Taliban appear not to know how to react to the aerial bombardment.

Think of this as a learning experience.

14 posted on 10/12/2001 8:21:22 AM PDT by CalTex

Associated Press

15 posted on 10/12/2001 8:26:40 AM PDT by Oldeconomybuyer

To: isthisnickcool
How fickle can you get? It has been discovered that the Ford Foundation was contributing to the Taliban and now we find the Mullah driving a Chevy suburban. Maybe the GMC has been contributing more.
16 posted on 10/12/2001 8:26:55 AM PDT by meenie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Oldeconomybuyer
Great pic, thanks.

Also liked the story yesterday about the bombs on the USS Enterprise inscribed with:

“this one is pork chop flavored”

17 posted on 10/12/2001 8:32:45 AM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

the Taliban appear not to know how to react to the aerial bombardment

I dont get it... either they are playing stupid, or they are overrated. Didn't these people manage to survive 10 years of constant Soviet bombardment? Is this some ploy to lull us into a sense of overconfidence?

18 posted on 10/12/2001 8:34:47 AM PDT by Paradox

To: 2sheep, RnMomof7, Thinkin' Gal, Prodigal Daugther, MissAmericanPie, xzins, beowolf, dennisw, Lent
Separately, Newsday cited confidential U.N. documents in reporting yesterday that Taliban fighters and commanders committed systematic massacres in recent years while trying to consolidate control over northern and western Afghanistan.

The reports, written by U.N. personnel in Afghanistan, say such mass killings were ordered or approved by Omar. U.N. officials who investigated a series of massacres of at least 178 people in January in the Yakaolang district of north-central Afghanistan said they had found witnesses to radio conversations between Omar and the teams of Taliban soldiers conducting the killings.

WHAT -- no out cry from the U.N. when they had the documents in hand by their own U.N. personnel????

The U.N. is a hoax and Annan Kofi deserves the Nobel Peace Prize as much as Arafat and Hitler!

19 posted on 10/12/2001 8:50:34 AM PDT by TrueBeliever9
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: TrueBeliever9
Agreed. I am sitting here fuming over the hypocricy involved in hating America and yet owning a Chevy SUV.
20 posted on 10/12/2001 10:10:21 AM PDT by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson