Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

U.S Subway Scare
sky news ^ | 10/9/01

Posted on 10/09/2001 1:12:35 PM PDT by SwearenginP

U.S Subway Scare At least 15 people have been taken to hospital after an armed man dropped a jar containing a mystery substance during a scuffle at a Washington subway station. Commuters complained of dry throats and nausea after the incident at a metro station just north of the American capital.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/09/2001 1:12:35 PM PDT by SwearenginP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: SwearenginP
The subways in New York City are absolutely swarming with police. It's one precautionary measure I don't object to in the least.

I understand that the media don't want to cause panics, but people need to know about these things. One of my colleagues this morning had heard about the anthrax cases in Florida, but had NOT heard that someone sent the victims powder through the mail in an envelope. If anyone opens an envelope and it's filled with powder, it would be just as well for them to know about this sort of thing. For one thing, they would then presumably take care that the powder didn't get all over the office, as it evidently did in the tabloid newspaper case.

3 posted on 10/09/2001 1:24:21 PM PDT by Cicero
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Crixie
Good to see the Brits have resumed doing our reporting for us again.

Funny you should say that; I just said to another Freeper on Sunday, "Time to start reading the London papers again so we'll know what's going on with the war."

4 posted on 10/09/2001 1:27:59 PM PDT by Howlin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Cleaning fluid.
5 posted on 10/09/2001 1:29:38 PM PDT by b4its2late

To: Cicero
The subways in New York City are absolutely swarming with police. It's one precautionary measure I don't object to in the least.

I agree. This morning, I saw a couple of the National Guardsmen who were assigned to NY Penn Station.

6 posted on 10/09/2001 1:31:42 PM PDT by ELS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Commuters complained of dry throats and nausea after the incident at a metro station just north of the American capital.

Dry throats and nausea, huh? Those are the same symptoms I had most of the day on September 11. Those symptoms could be a natural reaction to the possibility that there was something harmful in that jar--the power of suggestion.

On the other hand, it could really be something, but I seriously doubt it. I happen to think we're all getting just a little too jumpy and nervous. Pretty soon we'll be scared of our own shadows. The trouble is that we can't dismiss any of it until everything checks out.

7 posted on 10/09/2001 1:33:46 PM PDT by wimpycat

SkyNews LINK to news reports.
8 posted on 10/09/2001 1:39:03 PM PDT by spald

To: wimpycat
Yep. Almost certainly hysteria. Last week (same day as the Croatian Greyhound attack) here in TN a mysterious envelope was delivered to an auto finance company (Primus). 17 workers went to the hospital. Turned out someone (probably irate deadbeat) had just urinated on the envelope. Lesson: keep calm and don't fall for p**sant panic.
9 posted on 10/09/2001 1:49:16 PM PDT by Martin Tell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: b4its2late
It's NYC.

It's probably urine.

10 posted on 10/09/2001 4:02:51 PM PDT by DAnconia55
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: DAnconia55
Nope. Was DC.

Even worse. Probably someone elses urine.....

11 posted on 10/09/2001 4:12:34 PM PDT by DAnconia55
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: DAnconia55
It was DC, two subway stops were closed. The bottle contained cleaning fluid. 35 people with symptoms of dry throat and stinging eyes were taken to the hospital. Most likely from the pepper spray used by police.
12 posted on 10/09/2001 4:22:39 PM PDT by Politico2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Cicero
The subways in New York City are absolutely swarming with police.

Yesterday in the Times Square station I saw a cop inspect the contents of a back-pack.

13 posted on 10/09/2001 4:49:09 PM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson