Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gun Buying Surge Shows Many Feel 'Responsible for Their Own Safety'
CNS News ^ | 10/8/01 | Jason Pierce

Posted on 10/08/2001 6:48:22 AM PDT by truthandlife

With gun shops enjoying a surge in sales since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, it begs the question by some - why the purchase of a gun would make anybody feel safer. The terrorists hijacked airliners and aimed them at buildings. Could anybody on the ground with a gun have made a difference?

Dave Workman, Senior Editor of Gun Week magazine has an explanation.

"Gun sales have gone up in several states, because there is a fear that the police, while they do as well as they can, are not going to be there when we need them," Workman said. "There are a lot of people who never have owned a firearm before that are making their first gun purchase.

"That tells you something, that when the issue comes down to basics, they are the ones responsible for their own safety," he said.

Among those states where gun sales have increased are Connecticut, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia. Sales in some of the eastern states surged by 50 percent in the days following Sept. 11, and out of 200 gun retailers nationwide polled by the National Sport Shooting Association, 36 percent reported increases in sales. Fifteen percent of the retailers said their sales zoomed 25 percent.

Larry Pratt, president of Gun Owners of America, agrees that the increased sale of firearms reflects a new attitude among Americans that they are vulnerable and must take responsibility for protecting themselves.

"No longer are Americans ready to assume that America will protect them," Pratt said. "I think the decision to take this back into their own hands is a very encouraging course of events -- hopefully we are seeing the beginning of the end of the culture of passivity."

Pratt admits there is little that an average person could do to stop a terrorist act, but that most gun owners are worried about the chaos that could ensue following such a catastrophe.

"I think it has occurred to them that while they unhappily would not have been able to protect themselves with a gun on a plane, that is not the only way a terrorist might attack," Pratt said. "If there were some kind of massive disruption of normal services that were brought out by an attack, there very well could be looters who decide that stealing from you would be better than being hungry.

"A lot people have decided they needed to be prepared to protect their families," he said.

However, Desmond Riley, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, says guns are giving Americans a false sense of security and America's "lax gun laws" are endangering the nation even more because they give terrorists easy access to weapons.

"We have been saying for a long time that it is too easy for people to get guns, and we have known of instances where terrorists have gotten guns and have taken advantage of our weak gun laws," Riley said. "The truth is that a terrorist can go into a gun show this weekend and at certain tables could buy guns, no questions asked."

"In that specific instance [of the Sept. 11 attacks], guns did not play a role, but I think the potential for terrorists arming themselves is huge in America," he said. "I don't think we should be wittingly or unwittingly allowing terrorists to arm themselves."

Riley said it is "not surprising" that gun sales have gone up. However, he said the recent surge of gun sales would not last long.

Riley's suggestion to those who feel threatened and want to buy a gun? Find some means of emotional healing.

"We understand people are scared, and people are trying to deal with their fears, but bringing a handgun into their home is making that home more dangerous," he said. "People would be a lot better off going and talking to a counselor, a minister, a priest or a rabbi, because what people are looking for is peace of mind and security, and you won't find that in a gun."

Dr. Carol Oyster, a University of Wisconsin psychology professor, explains the gun-buying frenzy as a sign that people have a new sense of how vulnerable they really are.

"I think that the whole thing on Sept. 11 profoundly shook people's sense of security," said Oyster, who studies the sociology of gun owners. "We have always had what was probably an illusion of safety, and now people are realizing that nobody is really safe.

"And because that is a frightening thing, they want to take a pro-active step to make themselves feel like they are more in control of their safety and one way to do it is to buy a firearm," she said.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-56 next last

1 posted on 10/08/2001 6:48:22 AM PDT by truthandlife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: truthandlife
Any terrorists caught attempting to or doing a dastardly deed in homeland America better RUN to the nearest FBI agent or Policeman for protection. Homeland America will NOT be kind to any perpetrators caught doing or attempting to do evil!!!
2 posted on 10/08/2001 6:54:06 AM PDT by TomGuy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

it begs the question by some - why the purchase of a gun would make anybody feel safer.

1. Because people are aware that you cannot take for granted government protection welfare because you need to be responsible for your own safety, as per the example of the WTC.

2. Because some people know that the likes of Hillary and Ted Kennedy are letting terrorists in that are capable of carrying out an intifada and that hence we have a responsibility, again, for our own safety, given that our governors and law makers are not that bright sometimes.

3 posted on 10/08/2001 6:57:22 AM PDT by lavaroise

To: TomGuy
Homeland America will NOT be kind to any perpetrators caught doing or attempting to do evil!!!

That is as it should be.

Stay well - stay safe - Stay armed - Yorktown

4 posted on 10/08/2001 7:01:39 AM PDT by harpseal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

The government can't protect the Pentigon let alone the citizens.
5 posted on 10/08/2001 7:02:31 AM PDT by mbb bill

Not only should people arm themselves but they should take courses on the use and care of firearms. Then join a gun club and practice with the weapon you intend to carry.. PRACTICE , PRACTICE,PRACTICE. Feep your weapons in an easily opened and accessible vault.. The latest advice for home protection is to get a pump action shotgun made for home defense.. Supposedly a load of birdshot will not penetrate 2 layers of sheetrock,but check it out..
6 posted on 10/08/2001 7:10:38 AM PDT by chatham

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

Riley's suggestion to those who feel threatened and want to buy a gun? Find some means of emotional healing.

I'm emotionally healing myself when I hold my new .40 S&W and new 9mm.

8 posted on 10/08/2001 7:13:16 AM PDT by cobyok

"Riley said. "The truth is that a terrorist can go into a gun show this weekend and at certain tables could buy guns, no questions asked."

No offense, but they could just walk through the woods at any reserve/NG training area, find a crew of say, chubby female mechanincs, and take their weapons. Or a nice quick assualt on a LEO car. Or even a rural police station. Therefore, outlaw the National Guard, police, ect.....

9 posted on 10/08/2001 7:15:19 AM PDT by Leisler

The gun show in San Antonio, Tex. last saturday had the largest attendance ever. Fifteen minutes after opening there was a 200 ft. line awaiting admission. Two hours later there was still a 100 ft. line waiting. Many women were attending and asking questions, handling the products and seriously considering their own self protection.

IMHO 9/11 has been a wake up call. The government isn't the answer to terrorism. The only way to stop a determined terrorist is to kill them, and the only way to kill them is be armed.

Boonie Rat

MACV SOCOM, PhuBai/Hue '65-'66

10 posted on 10/08/2001 7:16:03 AM PDT by Boonie Rat

Could anybody on the ground with a gun have made a difference?

No.

Could anybody on the plane with a a gun have made a difference? Heck yes.

11 posted on 10/08/2001 7:19:30 AM PDT by Coop

To: mbb bill
The government can't protect the Pentigon let alone the citizens.

I love rocket scientist statements like this. The Pentagon is actually well protected. But please share with us, oh wise one. Exactly what would you have done to prevent a airplane from flying into the building? Hmmmm? Erect a an automated SAM site right next to Reagan National maybe? THAT'S a good plan!

12 posted on 10/08/2001 7:20:45 AM PDT by Coop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

"Pratt admits there is little that an average person could do to stop a terrorist act,..."

Dear Mr. Pratt:
Please go back and read about the 'average persons' on Flight 93.

Then feel free to revise your statement.

13 posted on 10/08/2001 7:21:14 AM PDT by Redbob

Desmond Riley, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, says guns are giving Americans a false sense of security...

Obviously, Mr. Riley does not understand the mindset of the average American. There is nothing "false" about the sense of security of a person who is armed with both a weapon and the knowledge of how to use it.

14 posted on 10/08/2001 7:30:16 AM PDT by Senator_Blutarski

Riley's suggestion to those who feel threatened and want to buy a gun? Find some means of emotional healing.I have recently taken his advice.

I found my emotional healing at my local firearms shop, spent some time in the indoor range firing my new 9mm Glock 26 and Remington 870.

I feel much better.

15 posted on 10/08/2001 7:30:31 AM PDT by snippy_about_it

To: Boonie Rat
"The gun show in San Antonio, Tex. last saturday had the largest attendance ever"

Excellent. My brother went to the gun show in Ft. Worth Sunday, said the NRA booth was manned by Ft. Worth police SWAT team members, which I think speaks volumes about how Texans feel about the RKBA!

16 posted on 10/08/2001 7:31:03 AM PDT by ScreamingFist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I was at the Gun and Knife Show at the Eastern States Expo Center on 10/5/01. Great show with good buys on handguns, shotguns and rifles. A lot of rifles and shotguns were sold. I can't tell you how many handguns were purchased because up here in MA, even with a license to carry they have run you through a 2+ hour check. My friend bought a nice second hand S&W 9mm 4" barrel for $325.00. Most of the people were crowded around the pistol dealers. I had my eye on a second hand panzerfaust but they had no ammo for it. :-)
17 posted on 10/08/2001 7:33:17 AM PDT by johnny7

To: johnny7
"I had my eye on a second hand panzerfaust but they had no ammo for it. :-)"

Original owner?

Boonie Rat

MACV SOCOM, PhuBai/Hue '65-'66

18 posted on 10/08/2001 7:36:32 AM PDT by Boonie Rat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Redbob
Wasn't it 'average' Americans who helped win WWI, WWII, Korea, Gulf War.

How in the world do you determine who a 'below or above average' person is?
19 posted on 10/08/2001 7:38:07 AM PDT by Chewbacca
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I was just at a couple of gun shows---Ft. Lauderdale last week and at Ft. Myers (Florida) this past weekend. Both very well attended. I don't sell gun stuff (I am helping a friend sell off his inventory of cellphone equipment) but because of the big crowds, the sales of everything (including beef jerky) is good. I hope to be at the West Palm Beach gun show this weekend. If you see someone there selling cellphone equipment, say hello to Ol' PJ.

BTW, what's the deal with the HUGE gunshow in L.A.? Are they having it this year? I used to sell stuff at that one too but I understand there was some problem with the L.A. County Commissioners. Will it be going on this year again or no?

20 posted on 10/08/2001 7:43:10 AM PDT by PJ-Comix

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-56 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson