Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

In Cambridge, a Binladin breaks family silence
Boston Globe ^ | October 7, 2001 | Marcella Bombardieri and Neil Swidey

Posted on 10/07/2001 4:56:47 AM PDT by Movemout

Edited on 04/13/2004 2:06:54 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

The man grabbed his tall latte and rushed back to his apartment, turning on the television just before the second jetliner crashed into the second tower.

For a while, the nightmare of Sept. 11 was the same for him as it was for so many others in the United States. He was anxious about his friends in New York. He wondered how anyone could harm so many people.

(Excerpt) Read more at boston.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last

1 posted on 10/07/2001 4:56:47 AM PDT by Movemout
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Movemout
. ''That's like someone with the last name of Rockefeller turning communist.''

Off hand, I can't think of a single Rockefeller who didn't cozy up to the communists.

If the Binladen's are serious about cleaning up the family name, they should start by putting out a contract on Osama.

2 posted on 10/07/2001 5:09:50 AM PDT by Vigilanteman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

And there has been considerable speculation in the press that some members of the enormous Binladin family continue to have contacts with Osama, a charge the family flatly rejects.

It seems to defy the law of probability that not one single member of an "enormous" family is sympathetic to Osama.

3 posted on 10/07/2001 5:11:32 AM PDT by Madame Dufarge

4 posted on 10/07/2001 5:32:58 AM PDT by BunnySlippers

'' He has stopped using his credit card and suspended his hobby of flying single-engine planes, for fear of reactions he might get. ''I've tried to keep a low profile and use cash as much as possible,'' he said

Just keep him away from cropdusters.

5 posted on 10/07/2001 5:42:52 AM PDT by Cachelot

To: Movemout;Alamo-Girl; anniegetyourgun; kattracks; RoseofTexas; SheLion; Susangirl; Snow Bunny
''I was intimidated, and the first semester was very tough for me, learning a new language and a new method of thinking,'' he said. Abdullah. ''Back home when we studied law, we used to memorize. Here I learned to think when you talk about the law.'' The Boston-based Binladins have stuck close together, gathering more or less every week. Abdullah would make sure they were going to class and getting good grades. They might get take-out Chinese or dinner in the North End, . They might or stay at home and cook Middle Eastern dishes like stuffed grape leaves or stuffed zucchini.
To me, the highlighted above seems to mark a cultural difference between the Middle-Eastern and the Western cultures. Western civilization tends to promote openness and free thinking. Does the Middle-East culture try to strongly control it's people's "thinking" by restricting learning to memorized rote? I think they probably do.

Long article worthy of reading.

Thanks for posting this!

Ping to any interested parties!?

6 posted on 10/07/2001 5:55:59 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP

To: Republican Wildcat; Howlin; Fred Mertz; .30Carbine; Uff da; sungirl; 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub
Ping to any interested parties!?
7 posted on 10/07/2001 5:57:09 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

''And I felt, this is a tragedy for our family. How will people look at our family?''

Typical of self centered criminals to think about themselves instead of the REAL victims.

8 posted on 10/07/2001 6:00:19 AM PDT by lavaroise

To: Movemout;ALL
From the article:

For decades the Saudi Binladen Group has had
the contracts to renovate mosques in Mecca and
Medina, Saudi Arabia. Here, the Grand Mosque
in Mecca, Islam's holiest shrine. (AP photo)

9 posted on 10/07/2001 6:11:04 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP

To: Vigilanteman
That's exactly what I was thinking. I refuse to feel sorry for a bunch of rich Saudi's who refuse to take care of an obvious problem. Why can't one of them try to make contact, then feed the info to the CIA? They need to be pressured to act appropriately, not cry to the newspaper.
10 posted on 10/07/2001 6:24:55 AM PDT by self_evident
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman
Excuse me, why is there an Islamic Law studies program at Harvard? Perhaps there's a US Constitution program at some university in Saudi Arabia, where it would be just as useless as Islamic law at Harvard. Or is it meant to be useless? After this and other articles on FR today, as well as knowledge about France's and Britain's experiences, I (who was previously not suspicious about all this) begin to wonder what some Muslim people have in mind for the future of the US.
11 posted on 10/07/2001 6:27:49 AM PDT by Moonmad27
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Moonmad27
Excuse me, why is there an Islamic Law studies program at Harvard?

You really have no clue. Harvard is not an American educational institution. It has gone global like the rest of the American corporate world. Harvard is in the business of selling credentials, at high price, on the international market. This is really really big business, and don't confuse yourself thinking that they are in the American education business. They are not and have not been for a long time.

12 posted on 10/07/2001 6:35:03 AM PDT by AndyJackson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Betty Jo
Read this
13 posted on 10/07/2001 6:44:56 AM PDT by Gracey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Nita Nupress,Fred Mertz,uvular,backhoe
Read all about it!!
14 posted on 10/07/2001 6:45:56 AM PDT by Gracey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Sheeit! The whole family went to Six Flags in Agawam. Thats only a stones throw from me! But since they all went home I guess I'm safe... right? Right??
15 posted on 10/07/2001 6:46:16 AM PDT by johnny7

More self-serving Arabian propaganda, or is it anti-Arabian propaganda. Yeah sure they donate money to all these causes, hardly any money going to U.S. citizens, at another time that may impress someone. This thread is a waste of space. Vigilanteman man is right, they should buy a contract on Osama.

Please do not give any more space to this topic, unless the article explains aggressive action they are taking against Osama, the anti-American leaders in their Mosques, or exposes other terrorist groups in the United States. This article helps confirm they are just self-serving piss and moaner’s, and doesn’t do anything to help their cause.

Unfortunately Arab Americans have probably been doomed to bottom of society, and these articles are one the factors, that will keep them there in the future.

16 posted on 10/07/2001 6:59:00 AM PDT by Fearless Flyers

To: Gracey
Yep!
17 posted on 10/07/2001 7:03:02 AM PDT by Betty Jo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Fearless Flyers
I don't believe I'll defer to your editorial judgement before posting threads. This is the only interview granted by Bin Ladin's family to date. Maybe everyone doesn't have your encyclopedic knowledge of world and might like to read it.
18 posted on 10/07/2001 7:13:20 AM PDT by Movemout
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Multi-cultural propaganda emphasizes how we in the West need to understand how Islamic families 'stick together' no matter what. The Bin Laden family should be considered aiding and abetting Ossama until they make a clear, unambiguous statement that this Islamic concept doesn't apply to their family. Additionally the Bin Ladens should contribute several billion dollars to the efforts to exterminate their 'bad seed', and for the purchase of Advantage gas masks with biological/chemical filters, anti-biotics, and vaccines for the American people and their allies.
19 posted on 10/07/2001 7:17:34 AM PDT by lysol@whitehouse

Good post, Movemout. Entirely legitimate. I appreciate it. Ignore that other doofus.
20 posted on 10/07/2001 7:33:05 AM PDT by johniegrad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson