Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Hijackers' Screams: Recorder Catches Last Moments of Flight Downed in PA
USA TODAY | Kevin Johnson and Alan Levin

Posted on 10/05/2001 7:04:17 AM PDT by truther

Recorder captures passengers' fight with hijackers Shouts and screams can be heard in cockpit before jet crashed into field in Pennsylvania

WASHINGTON -- Cockpit voice recordings from United Airlines Flight 93 indicate that the hijacked jet's passengers attacked their captors and fought their way into the cockpit before the jet went down, according to data obtained Wednesday.

The account is based on an ongoing analysis of the cockpit voice recorder. It illustrates the passengers' heroic efforts to fight off the four terrorists who had commandeered the jet Sept. 11 on an apparent suicide mission to Washington.

The digital recording, according to officials with knowledge of its contents, picks up sounds of people shouting and screaming in the cabin and cockpit shortly before the crash. A high level of background noise has made it difficult for investigators to interpret exactly what was being said or done.

Also unclear is who was at the controls of the jet -- the hijackers or the passengers -- when it slammed into a field in Pennsylvania, killing all 44 aboard. A preliminary review of the flight data recorder indicated the jet turned on its back and flew straight into the ground, sources said.

An FBI official testified Wednesday that the tape proved what many suspected.

"I can confirm that the passengers engaged in a fight for their lives with their four hijackers and most likely saved the lives of unknown individuals on the ground," J.T. Caruso, deputy assistant FBI director for counterterrorism, said in testimony before a House intelligence subcommittee.

Three other teams of hijackers led attacks that day on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Several passengers aboard Flight 93 learned of the other hijackings via cellphone calls and knew that they had ended in suicide crashes.

Authorities have asked outside experts to analyze the recorder a second time for further details. The use of filters and other computer analysis of cockpit voice recorders is common after an accident.

The recorder is a modern digital model and produced a high-quality record of the last 30 minutes of the flight.

Voice recorders store sounds from microphones that pilots wear on their headsets and from a microphone embedded in the cockpit wall. Normally, it is easy to determine who is speaking on a recording because the voice can be linked to a specific headset. But sounds on the Flight 93 recording came primarily from the cockpit wall microphone, making it more difficult to decipher.

Investigators also are examining a tape of short radio broadcasts from the jet, apparently at the time hijackers took control of the cockpit. Sources who have heard the tape say it recorded a violent struggle.

Flight 93 was headed from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco when it was hijacked. Because the jet crashed more than 30 minutes after the hijacking, the recording did not capture the takeover of the cockpit.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-72 next last

1 posted on 10/05/2001 7:04:17 AM PDT by truther
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: truther
Truly martyrs.
2 posted on 10/05/2001 7:11:20 AM PDT by kassie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: kassie
"A high level of background noise has made it difficult for investigators to interpret exactly what was being said or done"
-There is a lot of experience in the field of digital filters in US research labs...
3 posted on 10/05/2001 7:15:07 AM PDT by paolop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

They did not "Roll" in vain! Their sacrifice will always be cherished and remembered!

America, it's time the rest of us started to "Roll"!

4 posted on 10/05/2001 7:16:15 AM PDT by AmericaUnited

May the hijackers be screaming in hell.
5 posted on 10/05/2001 7:17:11 AM PDT by bond7

To: bond7
One of the flight attendants mentioned she was heating some water.

I'd bet those SOB's get a pot of boiling water poured on 'em.

6 posted on 10/05/2001 7:22:57 AM PDT by csvset
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

"I can confirm that the passengers engaged in a fight for their lives with their four hijackers and most likely saved the lives of unknown individuals on the ground," J.T. Caruso, deputy assistant FBI director for counterterrorism, said in testimony before a House intelligence subcommittee.

We will never forget these American patriots.

7 posted on 10/05/2001 7:23:21 AM PDT by mtngrl@vrwc

LET'S ROLL
8 posted on 10/05/2001 7:24:46 AM PDT by 1Old Pro

May God bless and protect the families and friends of these heros, and let their sacrifices continually inspire us!
9 posted on 10/05/2001 7:26:59 AM PDT by LeeMcCoy

...sounds of people shouting and screaming in the cabin

One small comfort is that I think the hijackers were screaming in agony because they had boiling hot water thrown in their faces by the minutemen and women passengers. It's too bad that the their assault on these creeps couldn't have taken place at a higher altitude. The passengers might have had a chance to survive then.

Cordially,

10 posted on 10/05/2001 7:30:00 AM PDT by Diamond

The place where that plane crashed should become hollowed ground.

I believe that Arlington is nearly full. Maybe it's time to create a new national cemetery in Pennsylvania for the heroes who will fall in this long campaign against terrorism.

11 posted on 10/05/2001 7:31:33 AM PDT by jerod

To: Diamond
What's really too bad is that xlinton didn't have the smarts or balls to bag the outlaws years ago cuz he was to busy being blown. Baggin' the babes was his priority. He'd rather have an 'inappropriate relatinship' than execute his duties as commander in chief. Just a sink-lover, low as a human can get. Someday, when his time comes, those hijackers will be saying hello to him in hell. Welcome to eternal damnation, little bubba.
12 posted on 10/05/2001 7:37:13 AM PDT by jwfiv
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: jerod
jerod posted, "The place where that plane crashed should become hollowed ground.

I believe that Arlington is nearly full. Maybe it's time to create a new national cemetery in Pennsylvania for the heroes who will fall in this long campaign against terrorism."

An excellent suggestion! I can't remember if Jeff Head suggested this or not!

A friend in NYC suggested that when the WTC area is cleared and the rebuilding starts, that a plaque with the picture and short bio of each fireman, emt and policeman who were mass murdered at the WTC be place in a circle around the new site or around a memorial area. Visitors could then walk around and look at each plaque to get the full impact of this mass murder. Then these brave souls, the first responders, will not be forgotten as the left wingers are trying to spin amnesia about the mass murdering of all at the WTC!

13 posted on 10/05/2001 7:43:42 AM PDT by Grampa Dave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: jerod
The place where that plane crashed should become hollowed ground.

I believe that Arlington is nearly full. Maybe it's time to create a new national cemetery in Pennsylvania for the heroes who will fall in this long campaign against terrorism.

That's the best and most fitting tribute I've heard to those passengers and crew aboard United Flight 93 so far, and I'll pass the thought along to a couple of folks in a position to get the ball rolling. I have a pending dinner meeting with a congressman, and I can think of a couple of others who can spread the word.

-archy-/-

14 posted on 10/05/2001 8:15:46 AM PDT by archy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

I hope that the next time I fly, I have some people such as these on board! Their courage in the face of danger will always be remembered.
15 posted on 10/05/2001 8:17:20 AM PDT by RasterMaster

even when a grandfather or grandmother passes away at 95 from natural causes,we feel we lost them too soon,knowing we all will pass. That said,it is important to realize the bravery and sense of duty these fine American's CHOSE to attempt and then enact. Search your soul of souls and ask... ..would I ? Could I ? and there is what we remember and teach or barve next generations..GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS THESE HEROS
16 posted on 10/05/2001 8:27:09 AM PDT by cactusSharp

Hijackers' Screams

Cowards! I hope they screamed all the way down to where ever they ended up. More proof that these puppets were cowards.

17 posted on 10/05/2001 8:35:26 AM PDT by Teacup

If this article is in TODAY'S USA Today online, it's a holdover from yesterday, when it was originally published. The article, with discussion is HERE!

Michael

18 posted on 10/05/2001 8:39:22 AM PDT by Wright is right!

To: jwfiv
To Kwrintong, September 11 is just another opportunity to get his mug in front of a camera.

Cordially,

19 posted on 10/05/2001 8:41:36 AM PDT by Diamond
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: cactusSharp
Patrick Henry:"Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!"

Nathan Hale:"I Regret That I Have But One Life To Give For My Country!"

Flt 93 Hero Todd Beamer:"Let's Roll!"

20 posted on 10/05/2001 8:43:34 AM PDT by The Sons of Liberty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-72 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson