Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Prayer request thread for 8 foreign aid workers on trial in Afghanistan
need | 10/4/01 | cynic#456,789

Posted on 10/04/2001 1:59:12 AM PDT by cyn

There are many things on our minds and in our prayers right now. Please also remember the Shelter Now - Germany aid workers on trial in Afghanistan right now.

Most recent articles posted to FR over weekend about the aid workers:

Kabul aid workers trial resumes and

Taliban Say They Know Where Bin Laden Hiding; Accused Aid Workers Back on Trial in Afghanistan

older articles:
Aid workers' preaching trial to resume Saturday (9/27)

Aid workers enter innocent plea in Taliban courtroom (9/8)

Taliban says Western aid agency teaching Christianity

I woke up just now with the aid workers on my mind. I was praying that they are well, in good health, safety, and spirits.

I prayed that good would come from their imprisonment -- that they would be able to touch hardened people that would not otherwise see God’s love in action or be reached by the Gospel. And I realized -- more clearly than I had before now -- this was like Paul and other Christians through the years taking advantage of every opportunity, even (or perhaps especially while under great duress, to speak of their love for Jesus.

This is the situation facing Dayna Curry, Heather Mercer, Diane Thomas (Australia), and the others (could not quickly find names of the others, please supply if you are able).

We are remembering you, Dayna, Heather, Diane, and others in conditions hard to imagine, and we are lifting you up in prayer.

Please also note this other current prayer thread: Alamo-Girl's Sister - Service on Oct. 6

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: daynacurry; heathermercer
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-51 next last
There are Christians around the world being persecuted. My prayers are for them, as well. Feel free to add requests & links.
1 posted on 10/04/2001 1:59:12 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: REPUBLIC, weirdad, erizona, JohnHuang2
fyi, thanks.
2 posted on 10/04/2001 2:10:08 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: cyn
Prayers sent for these fine women.
3 posted on 10/04/2001 2:23:56 AM PDT by pubmom

To: pubmom, Lent, dennisw
thank you so much -- I was off looking for update, but websearch including of yahoo news, dogpile, and google does not show anything since Sunday Sept 30; nor does India times site search. I should get a bit more sleep; will be back later. Thanks again.
4 posted on 10/04/2001 2:38:40 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: tessalu; A.J.Armitage; Tet68; cincinatus' wife; PoisedWoman; Luis Gonzalez; Prodigal Daughter
fyi.
5 posted on 10/04/2001 3:01:51 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Thank you for reminding us to pray for those held by the enemy. May they find strength, resolve and peace.
6 posted on 10/04/2001 3:11:56 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

To: Cincinatus' Wife
well put, amen! thanks, take care. (hug)
7 posted on 10/04/2001 3:14:35 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Ironword
missin' ya.
8 posted on 10/04/2001 3:15:06 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Here is an article on Dayna Curry which I posted the other day but nobody responded to. Dayna Curry: Personal journey of a prisoner in Afghanistan
9 posted on 10/04/2001 3:22:21 AM PDT by Movemout

To: Weirdad. We are thinking of you, Dayna, Heather, Diana, et al...
thanks to Weirdad for the following info, originally posted HERE.

I hope that all remember to keep praying for these courageous Americans, Heather Mercer and Dayna Curry, two women who were in Afghanistan providing humanitarian aid through Shelter Now International; and to pray for the Australians, and Germans and Afghan Christians under the same duress or worse. They and all the accused Christians need our prayers. Remember and pray.

Heather Mercer
Jailed in Afghanistan
Accused of Sharing her Faith
Dayna Curry
Jailed in Afghanistan
Accused of Sharing her Faith

Search Google for "Heather Mercer and Dayna Curry"

Some FreeRepublic Threads on the Jailed American Women:

hope this helps.
10 posted on 10/04/2001 3:23:01 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Thanks for the reminder. Bump for prayer.
11 posted on 10/04/2001 3:25:09 AM PDT by mombonn

To: LarryLied; StandFirm; Judy1938; yarddog; nancetc; JeepinMazar; agrace
Prayer request bump for those interested.

Old article, taken from Weirdad's list: [ Release Our Women! ] Antioch pastor waits in Pakistan for release of women from Afghanistan.

12 posted on 10/04/2001 3:37:18 AM PDT by cyn

To: mombonn
thanks so much! I can't get them off my mind, or out of my heart.
13 posted on 10/04/2001 3:38:09 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Thank you for the flag. I was sorry to see that Jesse Jackson didn't go to Alfghanistan. As much as I don't like him, he obviously pulls some connections (probably calls Castro and deposits money in his bank and then Castro in turn pulls some strings with Arab terrorists like he has in the past with Colombian terrorist kidnappers).

They are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

14 posted on 10/04/2001 6:32:06 AM PDT by Prodigal Daughter

To: this just in, via CNN: interview w/lawyer
******** THIS JUST IN, CNN interview w/lawyer ********

from Kabul: Allif Ali Khan, the Pakistani lawyer for the 8, was just interviewed.

He said he had met with the "detainees" for 3 hours today (has been meeting with them daily for 3-4 hrs, he said).

gist: they are doing well "as a whole"; One of htem -- Heather Mercer -- was not well yesterday. Lawyer requested of chief justice that she be able to see a doctor. Q: "what was the problem?" A: "seems like...mental disturbance from stress of being kept for 2 months; esp since Sept 11, since is now fearing a U.S. air attack."

more in a moment-want to review tape.
15 posted on 10/04/2001 6:35:23 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Thank you for the thread. My prayers are with them.
16 posted on 10/04/2001 6:40:53 AM PDT by Nov3

comment on above: this is not the first time the lawyer has claimed detainees are concerned that they might be injured in US attack (another article hinted at this, no ready link) -- are they really? or is this aspect being hyped, as a warning against attack? just wondering.
17 posted on 10/04/2001 6:40:57 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: more from CNN interview w/lawyer
******** CNN INTERVIEW w/Allif Ali Khan, lawyer for detainees, cont from above *********
Q: "Do you and your clients believe they are being used as political pawns?"
A: "No, I don't believe that...I have full confidence in the judicial system over here. The chief justice has been very forthcoming and very cooperative in all matters...He has clearly stated that we will have every opportunity to defend them...I don't think this links up (ie, that threat of US attack will affect decisions of the court, or how case might be handled)."

Q: "...(we have) word of unrest there. What is going on there now, is there panic in the streets?"
A: "No, Kabul (seems to be fine); there is no panic at all."

Q: "Do you have any prediction of outcome -- are you optimistic?"
A: "Yes, I'm very optimistic. I would like them to be banished...I hope there will be no higher sentence. The justices have shown us that they are very fair; real compassionate."

hope this helps. Prayer bump.
18 posted on 10/04/2001 7:24:23 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Prodigal Daughter
HI! thanks! note two posts just above on the CNN interview w/lawyer. God works in mysterious ways/His wonders to perform. Stay well (hug).
19 posted on 10/04/2001 7:26:23 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Nov3
thank YOU so much! I find myself wondering what is happening "real time", moment by moment. I pray that whatever is happening to them RIGHT NOW, that they will remember and be comforted by God's overcoming love.
20 posted on 10/04/2001 7:28:09 AM PDT by cyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-51 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson