Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 154
Southern Baptists ending talks with Catholic Church ^ | 3/24/01 | AP

Posted on 10/02/2001 2:30:40 PM PDT by malakhi

The Neverending Story
An ongoing debate on Scripture, Tradition, History and Interpretation.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. - John Adams

Threads 1-50 Threads 51-100 Threads 101-150
Thread 151 Thread 152

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 153

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-175 next last

1 posted on 10/02/2001 2:30:40 PM PDT by malakhi
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: angelo
Thanks for the thread, angelo. Come home soon, we''ll keep a light on for you .(0_0)
2 posted on 10/02/2001 2:39:07 PM PDT by dadwags
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: OLD REGGIE
Did you find a female apostle yet?

SD

3 posted on 10/02/2001 2:45:47 PM PDT by SoothingDave

To: SoothingDave
St. Mary Magdalene, in Orthodoxy "Eqaul to the Apostles"
4 posted on 10/02/2001 2:51:10 PM PDT by nofriendofbills
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: nofriendofbills
St. Mary Magdalene, in Orthodoxy "Eqaul to the Apostles"

Equal in faith perhaps, equal in station I think not. Unless the Orthodox have been ordaining women all these years and not telling us. ;-)

SD

5 posted on 10/02/2001 2:58:02 PM PDT by SoothingDave
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Havoc
From Thread 151:66

That came from an ex-Jesuit who knew very well what the jesuit charter was. I think his exact verbage included "The civil surveillance of society" - upon which he elaborated. It's got to be funny of it's an ex-Catholic. Must be a conspiracy because it's a disgruntled ex..

I ask again, who was this ex-Jesuit? How did you come upon this information?

Pray for John Paul II

6 posted on 10/02/2001 4:07:32 PM PDT by dignan3

To: SoothingDave
No, it blows a big hole in the IDEA about how easy Scripture is to be understood.

I sincerly believe that scripture was put there because of the plain and simple statement it makes, that there is, there is more then one way to find Christ.

It was what brought me out of a brainwashed Church years ago, and you have no idea how many others it may have helped, I think you may be concerned for the people who found it, and left the Catholic Church.

Lk 9:49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
V-50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us

How beautiful it is, no matter what some man tells you, Christ will show you another way if you are truly seeking.

Christ said, "Forbid him not" the Catholic Church said, via SD,

We're talking about protecting the brand name and not letting every goofball run around and confuse the people.

7 posted on 10/02/2001 4:07:53 PM PDT by JHavard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: dignan3
I ask again, who was this ex-Jesuit? How did you come upon this information?

Sorry, didn't realize you'd asked it. I would have to double check but I believe that was Francis Peters from "Ours".

8 posted on 10/02/2001 4:18:34 PM PDT by Havoc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

. I would have to double check but I believe that was Francis Peters from "Ours".

Vatican Quality Control

OK, let me see here, Peters, Peters, Peters, ahhhh Ferdenand, Fritz, ahhhh Francis, Francis Peters, I have it fellows, OH WOW look at what they have down for him, He spoke out loud once in class, and it was rumored that he had an affair once with of all things, a woman, gag, there is a lot more here fellows, listen to this.........

9 posted on 10/02/2001 4:34:25 PM PDT by JHavard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: JHavard
Rofl, JH. That was my thought after I posted it - when does the Clinton, er uhm, I mean Roman Catholic Spin machine kick in on him. LOL. He has to now be painted as a quack, An idiot, a heretic, or something of that sort. Generally anyone who leaves Catholicism, we have heard, leaves because of such things - not because they finally understand that they have been fed a load of fertilizer and now wish to reflect and point out the error of their ways as Catholics. We have the Bible for that and it does a pretty good job of pointing out the errors all by its lonesome, and it's noteworthy to comment that it gets attacked too. Predictability is fun isn't it LOL.
10 posted on 10/02/2001 4:43:19 PM PDT by Havoc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Come on! You comeplain about the Fathers of the Church. We are doubting the veracity of an ex-jebbie who may be trying to make a living by dumping on the Church.
11 posted on 10/02/2001 4:47:51 PM PDT by RobbyS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Havoc;JHavard
We have the Bible for that and it does a pretty good job of pointing out the errors all by its lonesome, and it's noteworthy to comment that it gets attacked too.

Well guys, if you really believe that, you should easily be able to answer my questions from Post #32 on the previous thread. By answering those questions, it should clear up any doubt regarding your sola scriptura position.

12 posted on 10/02/2001 5:22:37 PM PDT by pegleg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: pegleg
Well guys, if you really believe that, you should easily be able to answer my questions from Post #32 on the previous thread.

This sounds like fun, are we going to compare results with your answers to Big Mack's questions to you on T-153, P-#4 ? Who is going to grade them, angelo?

13 posted on 10/02/2001 5:39:31 PM PDT by JHavard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: JHavard
This sounds like fun, are we going to compare results with your answers to Big Mack's questions to you on T-153, P-#4 ? Who is going to grade them, angelo?

Sounds fair to me. I gave Big Mack a response. Now it's your turn.

14 posted on 10/02/2001 5:42:49 PM PDT by pegleg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

sola scriptura position.

First, glad to see you back Pegleg. I have been busier than a one legged man the past couple of days and I must have overlooked your presence. LOL.

Now down to business. Sola Scriptura is a huge red herring. People who put final authority in God's word Do Not believe that the Bible itself is the only authority. I believe that the Bible and God serve together as the final arbiter of anything. And I believe that Pastors and teachers have a place so long as what they teach lines up with the word of God (as the Bible says). But they each answer both to God and to their congregations. If a congregation doesn't reign in a Pastor or teacher they know to be in error, they are responsible for it. The congregation is as responsible for what their Pastors and teachers utter to them as the men speaking - this is what the Bible says.

The Bible also Says that Jesus is the head of the Congregation - not any man. God tried to lead his people in the OT times and the people Cried out 'give us a King like the other nations to lead us'. When he did, the men who became King screwed it up royally. When God put Jesus over his people in the NT, it's not surprising that someone would shout 'give us a king'. But, God had already spoken from experience at length on the subject and told us He is the King - the leader of his people. And Biblically, any man trying to usurp that position makes of himself the haughty Angel that would raise his throne above that of God. Theres probably still a heal print on his backside and a defined impact point where he hit the planet when his butt was kicked out of heaven. The usurper in the flesh will suffer much the same fate - you might read Revelation; because it says so rather pointedly.

Can I get an Amen from the cheap seats?

15 posted on 10/02/2001 6:04:09 PM PDT by Havoc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Can I get an Amen from the cheap seats?

Amen brother! Now answer my questions.

16 posted on 10/02/2001 6:07:06 PM PDT by pegleg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: RobbyS
You comeplain about the Fathers of the Church.

I complain about who you call the 'fathers' of the church because unlike the NT writers who are in agreement, your 'fathers' don't agree with the NT writers, much less each other. You quote them when it befits you to do so and dismiss them when it befits you to do so - that's not authority, it's chaos. If I write a book and say one thing right in the entire volume, it doesn't make the book a bearer of truth, the truth is incidental to the work.

We are doubting the veracity of an ex-jebbie who may be trying to make a living by dumping on the Church.

Oh, I almost forgot the 'anyone who writes a book is out for profit and doesn't really speak from authority' approach. Perhaps that is the point of all the NI & O books put out. If they don't tell the church story with the inerrant nature they are supposed to portray by bearing the stamp, the stamp must be worthless and the authors out to make a buck. Now that's an application of this approach I hadn't considered LOL.

17 posted on 10/02/2001 6:14:42 PM PDT by Havoc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

caveat emptor.
18 posted on 10/02/2001 6:18:28 PM PDT by RobbyS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

BigMack

This whole thread has passed and you ignore my post #32. Mind if I quote you?

What does it take to answer simple questions? Can you not do it? Please try.

Catholic tatctics, answer a question with a question.

You can't answer my questions can you?

19 posted on 10/02/2001 6:40:35 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

Amen brother! Now answer my questions.

Your one to be asking this! :)

Bigmack

20 posted on 10/02/2001 6:42:35 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-175 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson