Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Flag display causes ruckus at Holy Cross (THREAD II)
Worcester Telegram & Gazette Staff ^ | OCtober 1, 2001 | Emilie Astell

Posted on 10/01/2001 9:44:41 PM PDT by hc87

Flag display causes ruckus at Holy Cross

Monday, October 01, 2001

By Emilie Astell

Worcester (Mass) Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER-- Margaret Post took an American flag to work three days after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to mourn the death of Todd Beamer, a close personal friend who was a passenger on United Airlines Flight 93 when the hijacked jet crashed in rural Pennsylvania. She did not realize, she said Thursday, that by hanging the flag in a second-floor hallway of Beavens Hall at the College of the Holy Cross she would cause a commotion. Instead of allowing the flag to remain in place, Royce Singleton, chairman of the college's Sociology Department, asked Mrs. Post, a secretary in the department, to take it down....

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
More on Professor Singleton. One of my friends with good contacts at Holy Cross sent me this in response to my question as to whether there was a further explanation for Singleton's conduct.

"I should have elaborated...the professor in question (NOT the most popular man on campus at the moment) perceived the flag as support for a military operation, and being a tree-hugging, owl-licking, ivory-tower...oops, sorry...being a "pacifist," ordered it removed. The resulting reaction has NOT left him well-regarded."

And that from a guy who voted for Al Gore!

1 posted on 10/01/2001 9:44:41 PM PDT by hc87
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: hc87
Thread I is here: http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3bb8f6f00a40.htm
2 posted on 10/01/2001 9:49:41 PM PDT by hc87
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Here is Thread 1
3 posted on 10/01/2001 10:35:09 PM PDT by Clive
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

It is ironic to me that when I clicked on the link to the Holy Cross site, I saw an article about grief counselling for the students.

Yet here was an employee who was hurting and someone who ought to have known better made the hurt worse.

This in a Catholic institution.

I note that there was also mention of a seminar on understanding Islam. While it is perhaps laudable to try to understand another religion, I would have preferred it had there first been a better understanding of Christianity.

4 posted on 10/01/2001 10:47:19 PM PDT by Clive

To: Clive
Or at least free speech.
5 posted on 10/01/2001 10:53:57 PM PDT by smorgle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

“I don't want to get into why it happened,” he said. “It was a decision I very much regret having made for many reasons.” Mr. Royce Singleton

I'll just bet you do regret it Mr. Singleton, but only because you've been EXPOSED for the COMMIE Globalist you are!

6 posted on 10/01/2001 11:42:18 PM PDT by brat

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson