Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

When Will U.S. help Britain Fight Terrorism (fromangry brit looking for Support)

Posted on 09/29/2001 12:43:42 PM PDT by jim4

Something happened the other day that made me furious at the hypocrisy of the U.S. and its fight against terrorism.

But first I wish to make clear that I support the UK in helping aid the US fight the taliban and the terrorists within that naton. Just the other day (the same day that the action of the US government that angered me occurred) 24 Tornado aircraft arrived in oman with apperently more squardrons of Harriers, Jaquars and Nimrod and awacs surviellance aircraft to arrive in the coming weeks. These aircraft when they arrive will be available for action against the Taliban and I support this. On the same day a 26 ship fleet arrived in the region for exercises and could also be used, as could the mixed force of 750 SAS/Cadre soldiers that have been put on notice and the 4000 RM Commandos in the region also for exercise and the 20,000 british personel in Oman. All these forces I support being used to help the US in its fight against the Taliban and the terrorists.

But here is where I get angry and why. On the same day as these Aircraft arrived in Oman, the US President (who talked about fighting all terrorists) froze assets of terrorist organizations except those of the IRA who have been killing Uk citizens, and has done nothing to stop IRA sympathisers sending money or weapons here. I,m sorry if I am just being cynical and believe this has to do with the large "Irish"-American precence in US politics.

Despite this as I said I support the US in its fight. I just wonder why the US will not Support the UK in its fight. That is why I wish to ask All Americans who visit Freerepublic and want to stop International Terrorism ( remember the IRA men in Columbia and the fact that IRA/Sinn Fein have asked members Of ETA to speak at it's conference today) to write and lobby they're local representitive to end the semi- legitamate status that the IRA has in The US and make it difficult fot IRA fundraising activities. There can be no excuse for suppoting a terrorist organization.

By the way as someone in the UK from a completely different political viewpoint (I'm a New Labour and Tony Blair supporter) I have to say How much George Bush has risen in my estimation. I never thought I would say this but George Bush is a fine President and i.m glad that the Uk is with America in this fight.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-67 next last

1 posted on 09/29/2001 12:43:42 PM PDT by jim4
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: jim4,MadIvan
Ivan...it seems one of your fellow countrymen doesnt think we are doing enough to help you guys....your comments??
2 posted on 09/29/2001 12:48:49 PM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: jim4
Simple solution to your problem. Brits out of Ireland just like they had to get out the U.S. Erin Go Braugh.
3 posted on 09/29/2001 12:49:18 PM PDT by HEFFERNAN2

Hey, as an angryamerican, I'm right there with you on those IRA bastards. I have the feeling that all of our rage and attention is being focused right now on the Islamist terrorist networks. Rest assured that there will come a time when that bright beam of hatred & revenge will shine on those plague rats that are the IRA. As for our failure to opposes the IRA in the past? Just look at the failure we had as president for the past 8 years...
4 posted on 09/29/2001 12:49:48 PM PDT by egarvue

If any good can come out of this whole affair, it will be a less tolerant attitude to terroism, worldwide.

Come to think of it President Blair, sorry Prime Minister Blair has been pretty tolerant of the Islamic Terrorists in our midst.

5 posted on 09/29/2001 12:50:31 PM PDT by BritBulldog

To: HEFFERNAN2
The Brits aren't in Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the UK.
6 posted on 09/29/2001 12:52:34 PM PDT by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

Ask billclinton why he made Jerry Adams his new best friend and invited him to the US for a nice round of fund raising.
8 posted on 09/29/2001 12:56:04 PM PDT by OldFriend

To: BritBulldog
The Brits aren't in Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Bull .... Even Paul McCartney sings "Give Ireland back to the Irish" ... If the Liverpool British see the error of hanging on to Ulster, please pass it on to Parliment!!

Counting 6 counties in Ireland as English, is like us letting Clinton be President of 3 counties in Southern Florida! Get a life, Brit! You ruled Ireland into the ground for 150 years, say your sorry and be a good neighbor and go home.

AgThorn
of mixed Irish/England descent!

9 posted on 09/29/2001 1:02:45 PM PDT by AgThorn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I'm disappointed that Bush backpeddled from saying this would be a war to eradicate all terrorism to a war against all terrorism "with international reach." The IRA's terror against Britain is every bit as evil and unjust as Bin Laden's attacks on America.

I do hope we furnish England the same unqualified support she's giving us in our time of earnest need. As the man said, we've no truer friends than the British. I wholeheartedly agree.

10 posted on 09/29/2001 1:04:15 PM PDT by fire and forget

Britain has my permission to bomb the Kennedy compound in Massachusetts whenever Teddy or other rapists are present.
11 posted on 09/29/2001 1:07:46 PM PDT by scotiamor

You are quite a JERK!

Fortunately Blair and most Englishman remember WWII and how much the US has done for Britain.

Yes, you support this. But, given what you bring up - at a time like this, please reread my first paragraph! Otherwise go to my next paragraph.

Of course, I agree that IRA terrorism, along with US support thereof, should be eliminated - along with Ulster Protestants throwing rocks at school-children for the "crime" of attempting to go to school in "Protestant" neighborhoods (note: even in Little Rock in the 50s no one threw stones at children). Also note that none of this contradicts my first paragraph.

Now can we go back to the main subject of Moslem terrorists?

12 posted on 09/29/2001 1:13:10 PM PDT by Ross Amann

Source? Pulled out of your ass, perhaps?
13 posted on 09/29/2001 1:16:35 PM PDT by Ratatoskr

To: AgThorn
Northern Ireland is part of the UK because of the wishes of the people of Northern Ireland.
14 posted on 09/29/2001 1:17:51 PM PDT by Churchillspirit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: HEFFERNAN2
Or how about the Irish out of Britain?
15 posted on 09/29/2001 1:20:38 PM PDT by Churchillspirit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Has Tony Blair frozen any IRA assets or asked us to? Of course not. Reserve your outrage for the stinking Labour government.
16 posted on 09/29/2001 1:26:06 PM PDT by Deb

To: fire and forget
When Tony Blair asks for help and Bush refuses, then you can be disappointed...not until.
17 posted on 09/29/2001 1:28:50 PM PDT by Deb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Churchillspirit
Amen, Brother!!!!
18 posted on 09/29/2001 1:29:59 PM PDT by Deb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Churchillspirit
It's obviously fitting that you reside in Orange County.
19 posted on 09/29/2001 1:30:30 PM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Deb
"Amen brother"

Uhh..that's 'sister' Deb. But thanks.

20 posted on 09/29/2001 1:34:57 PM PDT by Churchillspirit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-67 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson