Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Are we Ready for a Chemical Attack? (NBC knowledgable Freepers please post!)
Senate Excerpt on CBR readiness ^ | April 22, 1998 | Richard Preston

Posted on 09/25/2001 5:01:53 PM PDT by DCBryan1

Chemical and Biological Weapons Threats to America: Are We Prepared?

April 22, 1998

Mr. Chairman and Senators:

Thank you for the honor and privilege of addressing you. I have spent the past six years researching and writing about viruses and biological weapons, first for my nonfiction book The Hot Zone, which was about an outbreak of Ebola virus near Washington, D.C., then for my fact-based novel The Cobra Event, which describes a bioterrorism event in New York City, and which I understand President Clinton, Defense Secretary William Cohen, and Speaker Newt Gingrich have all read with interest, and finally a recent New Yorker article, "The Bioweaponeers." In the course of learning from a wide range of experts, I have become an expert myself.

Biological weapons are among the most dangerous weapons in the world today. They are infectious diseases, living organisms. Some are very contagious. Unlike any other weapons, biological weapons are alive and know how to replicate. They can make copies of themselves inside the human body. A bioweapon can copy itself endlessly in people. A nuclear bomb can't make copies of itself. From a small point of release, a bioweapon can jump from person to person in a explosive chain of lethal infection. A bioweapon makes no distinction between soldier and civilian, rich and poor, ordinary people or national leaders: we are all equally vulnerable.

Click on Source URL above to continue with article.

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Any knowledgeable Freepers out there willing to help us out on giving us NBC precautions? I am former military with minimal NBC training and have one (1) M17a1 gas mask and one (1) MOPP Suit.

What do ordinary Freepers and civilians need to know and what do they need to buy in preparation for the unthinkable?
What items should be stockpiled?
Is NBC preparation similar to the Gulf War and Y2k preparations that you took?

Your input would be very much appreciative!

1 posted on 09/25/2001 5:01:53 PM PDT by DCBryan1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: DCBryan1
Is your NBC suit in a hermetically seal bag/container?
2 posted on 09/25/2001 5:09:17 PM PDT by demlosers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: demlosers
Yes, original issue, in plastic, vaccum bag.
3 posted on 09/25/2001 5:13:38 PM PDT by DCBryan1 (dcbryan1)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

NBC- Nuclear/Biological/Chemical

Nuclear and Chemical- there are loads of things you can do.
Biological- hmmmmm. Not so much you can do.
A MOPP suit might help you against bio for a short while. But you can't stay in it forever. Best to just get away from populated areas if you think we've been hit. Go somewhere that doesn't have a lot of through traffic (mountains, desert, out to sea). Of course, you'll need to keep other people who are possibly contaminated from approaching your position. Long term prospects aren't good. Bio weapons are truly potent and endurant. The best defense is just pure prevention. Sorry, doesn't sound good.
4 posted on 09/25/2001 5:20:23 PM PDT by Prodigal Son

Move away from a city. Seems our beloved government has made it harder and harder to live outside of cities.
5 posted on 09/25/2001 5:21:57 PM PDT by PatrioticAmerican

In case of bio or chem attack in close proximity, head up wind ASAP.
6 posted on 09/25/2001 5:23:24 PM PDT by Texas_Jarhead

To: Texas_Jarhead
Unless of course the source of the attack lies upwind.
7 posted on 09/25/2001 5:33:24 PM PDT by Texas_Jarhead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I selected a bedroom hall, it gives us availability to the bathroom. I cleaned out the dirty clothes hamper and stored tape, painters floor covers, water for several days, batteries, flash light, the hunting lantern, radio, portable tv, medical supplies, gas masks, a small hot plate to cook on, canned goods, granola bars, snack stuff. In the hall closet I have a down mattress, pillows things for entertainment, reading materials, coloring books, photo albums, tools, siccors, matches, candles.

This area can be sealed off with tape and painters plastic, and lived in for days, until things settle down. Turning off the air conditioner and sealing in is the only thing I can come up with, any more ideas are appreciated.

8 posted on 09/25/2001 5:41:46 PM PDT by MissAmericanPie

What do ordinary Freepers and civilians need to know and what do they need to buy in preparation for the unthinkable?

Surfing on the web last night, I gleaned one good tip.
Nerve gas residue is broken down by hypoclorites. It would be a good idea to keep a gallon or two of Clorox handy. It's a good disinfectant also.

BTW.. Some of the nerve agents penetrate your skin. A mask without a suit is NOT a sure preventative to exposure.

9 posted on 09/25/2001 5:57:39 PM PDT by Vinnie

Just so I don't sound so negative...

If you can keep abreast of which bio agent is apt to be used... Diseases utilize a vector- ie a method of spreading. For instance, HIV uses blood or bodily fluids to propogate. Dysentary contaminates water. Influenza utilizes vapor from the lungs when we cough or sneeze.

The point being- if you know which vector the suspected bio agent uses, you can take that into account when you plan what to do. It isn't difficult to protect against an HIV type virus. Obviously, a bit more difficult to protect yourself against something that acts like influenza.

Keeping abreast of the current sit rep is the best thing against biological weapons. If it's just you and your MOPP suit, remember to tape the seams of the suit when you gear up. If you have a military canteen that adapts to the M17 (mask) hydration system, remember to use a disinfectant wipe on the surfaces before you join canteen to mask. If you think your suit may have been contaminated, unsuit before you move to your survival position. Use gasoline (or something similar) to wipe down the MOPP suit before you get out of it. Other than that, I can't think of anything useful for bio (except annihilation of those who have plans to use bio against us).
10 posted on 09/25/2001 6:05:39 PM PDT by Prodigal Son

I believe the strength that makes the US great is also a point of vulnerability. I believe the incubation period for smallpox is 12 days from exposure. One need only release the virus in a confined area, as infection is primarily through respiration, ostensibly in a closed area. For example, releasing such a virus in an airport, large public building, . could cause problems, as our mobility means the disease could spread quite rapidly without notice until the first confirmed cases. I still believe the US would be well advised to start smallpox and other vaccinations up for the general public, for those that wanted the vaccinations. My suggestions would be to prepare a safe room as someone has already suggested on this thread, have a written plan to procure provisions, batteries, water, etc and stick to it. You can use these things for natural disasters! Also talk with family members. Education is the best way to address this.
11 posted on 09/25/2001 6:23:52 PM PDT by Fury

To: Fury
In the 80's I was a certified NBC NCO. I learned alot. Most of what I learned is you are gunna die. You are gunna die a slow death or a fast death. You are gunna die without pain or extreme pain.

I also learned about bianary weapons. Do you suppose that this is why there were so many Hazardous Material certifications sought by potential terrorists.

Ahhhh Yeppie...

12 posted on 09/25/2001 6:29:26 PM PDT by Aztech
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Aztech
A binary weapon is where two safe substances are mixed together to form a dangerous substance?
13 posted on 09/25/2001 6:32:22 PM PDT by Fury
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Fury
Exactly. Learn those placard meanings on the sides of trucks.

Click and read here

It may take a while to load as it is a fairly large PDF file

14 posted on 09/25/2001 7:42:37 PM PDT by Aztech
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson