Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

US media shy away from disaster images
AFP ^ | Tuesday, September 25 10:34 AM SGT

Posted on 09/24/2001 7:50:46 PM PDT by Jean S

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 25 (AFP) -

Images of the horrific destruction of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon saturated the US airwaves immediately following the attacks, but now the US media are wrestling with the use of images of carnage, both fictional and real.

Earlier this month, US news outlets continually replayed images of the September 11 disaster. Among the more shocking footage were scenes of airliners knifing into the World Trade Center, followed by the collapse of the landmark 110-storey twin towers. Newspapers around the world followed with still pictures of the assaults.

But as the death toll mounted and the true scope of the horror and death began to emerge, North American television networks began easing their use of the images.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation halted use of the videos 12 hours after the attacks. In the United States, cable news networks began pulling back from the images the following weekend. MSNBC, Fox and CNN issued orders to producers to use the images only if absolutely necessary for the story.

The three major US broadcast networks -- ABC, NBC and CBS -- have cautioned their staff on using the footage, but have not banned it.

"We will only use the videos if it is essential to the story," said ABC News spokeswoman Su-Lyn Nicols.

Besides its horror, television news producers are concerned that the repeated play of the images will numb viewers.

"We didn't want to keep playing the footage of the plane collisions and such over and over again," said Andrew Finlayson, news director for KTVU, a local San Francisco area television station. "It just numbs everyone to the tragedy. The pictures can make people blase, making it all feel, well, normal."

Meanwhile, movie producers and television entertainment executives rushed to halt distribution of movies that carried a violent theme, fearing they would traumatize audiences or open up movie studios to charges of bad taste.

"Collateral Damage," an upcoming Arnold Schwarzenneger movie about a vengeful firefighter who loses his family during a terrorist attack on a high-rise, has been postponed indefinitely from its October 5th release.

Movie posters promoting the film are hurriedly being removed from walls and bus stops around the nation.

Other films being delayed or edited include a Spider Man movie which uses the World Trade Center in a crucial scene, and the re-release of the film Pearl Harbor.

Explosion-filled US television series slated for their season debut have been put on hold or are being edited to remove troubling images, such as The Agency, an action series about the CIA that opens with a bomb attack.

The real-life terrorist attacks have sparked introspection about the use of violence in pop culture. With the advent of computer-generated effects, movies and television shows can easily be draped in explosions and digital carnage.

But with the destruction of September 11, those who create entertainment believe audiences will turn away from violent spectacles, maybe even embracing stories that reflect an affirmation of life, not its destruction.

"Obviously, the World Trade Center attacks are affecting any projects that deal with terrorism or the indiscriminate or unthinking use of firearms or weaponry," said Jason Hoffs, a Los Angeles feature film producer for Sony Pictures.

"I think you'll see a return, at least for the short term, to age-old themes like honesty, loyalty and betrayal.

"America feels like it took a sucker punch," Hoffs added. "Now audiences will probably look for stories about what's important for life."

Hoffs said it will be a welcome change.

"Big studio films have been relatively mindless," he said. "Hopefully, this will change. It would be something good to come out of all this."

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/24/2001 7:50:46 PM PDT by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JeanS
If they don't keep these images in the FACE of the American people, then POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WINS AGAIN. It's time for a WAR AGAINST PC!
2 posted on 09/24/2001 7:55:09 PM PDT by Alissa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Also - I thought I heard snippet of a news bite where the term "terrorist" is suppose to be deleted. "Terrorist" is no longer Politically Correct.
3 posted on 09/24/2001 7:58:29 PM PDT by Alissa

I have to say I agree with them. I am still stunned by what I see when they do show them. I never want to get over the shock and unbelief. If they continue to show them countless times people will become numb to it. As long as they don't refuse to show them ever, It's a good thing, because when they are shown, the complete horror will register all over again. No one will ever forget this happened, why put the families through that torture. I find myself wanting to reach out and stop those planes, how do you think the families feel?
4 posted on 09/24/2001 7:59:01 PM PDT by dubyagee

To: dubyagee
We obviously see this differently. I'm too afraid that people will forget. I've been so disappointed in the American people during the Clinton years that I've lost much faith in their wisdom.
5 posted on 09/24/2001 8:03:16 PM PDT by Alissa
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

"Collateral Damage," an upcoming Arnold Schwarzenneger movie about a vengeful firefighter who loses his family during a terrorist attack on a high-rise, has been postponed indefinitely from its October 5th release.

On Man! I would like to see that one. Given the tenor of Arnold's films, it sounds like the terrorists would not be getting away with what they did! I think Americans might like that kind of movie right now!

6 posted on 09/24/2001 8:03:46 PM PDT by SuziQ

We know these people have no morals or scrupples, so what is the real reason they want us to forget what terror looks like?

Is it that they know it brings out the patriot in those otherwise content to sit on their derrieres and eat chips while watching the tube?

I like shoot em up, blow em up movies. Americans loved watching movie stars killing japs and gerries on the big screen during WWII. In fact the studios made those movies to LIFT patriotism.

I just don't buy their reasoning. They screwed us through the Clinton years. Why would they stop now?

7 posted on 09/24/2001 8:07:52 PM PDT by Critter

To: SuziQ
See my post below yours. I think the same thing.
8 posted on 09/24/2001 8:09:45 PM PDT by Critter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

And, as Michael Savage pointed out, the same media showed the beating of Rodney King
over and over again hundreds of times, thus provoking the LA riots.
10 posted on 09/24/2001 8:23:04 PM PDT by Nogbad

What hypocrisy!!

WTC images will "numb" America but sex, foul langauge, and violence have no affect on our children.
11 posted on 09/24/2001 9:47:17 PM PDT by Texas_Jarhead

To: Alissa
I agree, we must NEVER FORGET

Check my site out at

RememberThe11th.com

12 posted on 09/24/2001 9:51:39 PM PDT by TheOtherOne
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Alissa
You are so right. I beg to differ with them also, there is no way those images can become ho hum to me, no matter how many times they show them.
I have the same concern you do, the lack of coverage will make the people go to sleep, and then we will have the peace niks all over driving the opinions of the public who have "moved on" to Oprah and Dharma and Greg or whoever.
13 posted on 09/24/2001 9:52:04 PM PDT by ladyinred
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SuziQ
On Man! I would like to see that one. Given the tenor of Arnold's films, it sounds like the terrorists would not be getting away with what they did!

The next best thing is to go rent "True Lies".

Plot: Arab terrorists try to set off a nuclear weapon in a major US city, Arnold kicks their butts.

14 posted on 09/24/2001 9:55:35 PM PDT by Dan Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: all
Note to Media and Hollywood:

We are big boys and girls now. we can choose for ourselves, thank you. Release the movies you already had planned, we know they were filmed a year ago. Show us our own disaster footage, we can handle it.

Stop deciding for us.

15 posted on 09/24/2001 9:56:26 PM PDT by moodyskeptic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

To: Dan Day
The next best thing is to go rent "True Lies".

That is one of my FAVORITE movies. Jamie Lee Curtis was awesome in it. I never appreciated her comic acting until then. And Arnold was, well, Arnold!

17 posted on 09/24/2001 10:17:23 PM PDT by SuziQ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson