Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Modest Proposal for Citizen's War... Mobilizing the Forces (MARQUE & REPRISAL UPDATE)
CAPITALISM AT ITS FINEST... A Modest Proposal for Citizen's War ^ | September 19, 2001 | Uriel, nunya bidness

Posted on 09/19/2001 6:23:08 PM PDT by Uriel1975

Richard Shelby R-Ala., vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, on Saturday noted that the war on terrorism should include a freer hand to assassinate foreign enemies and hire more unsavory covert operatives. He also said there's little difference between targeting an enemy in a bombing raid and trying to kill him with a hit squad. The bombing would be legal while a hit squad would be banned by a 25-year-old presidential order prohibiting foreign assassinations. President Bush needs to review the presidential ban that was signed by former President Gerald Ford, Shelby said in an interview.

President Bush may not have to review anything. And if Congress is afraid to make a formal declaration of war they do have another option. The US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 11, The congress shall have Power "To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water.”

A letter of Marque is defined by Webster’s 1828 dictionary as, "a private ship commissioned or authorized by a government to make reprisals on the ships of another state.

So it would seem that the solution that would shed very little, if not any, American blood has been provided by the founding fathers. ~~~ nunya bidness

CAPITALISM AT ITS FINEST
A Modest Proposal for Citizen's War

As you've probably heard, Bin Laden's al-Qaeda terrorist organization is estimated at as many as 20,000 followers in a loose-knit collective spanning as many as 37 countries. While Federal military action is entirely justified against the actual nation-States proven to be active sponsors and harbors of organized terrorist operations, surely we do not expect to declare National War on all of these countries where recruitment, support, and training cells exist. Nor should we trust the (shall we say, not 100% perfect) resources of US counter-terrorist Intelligence, hamstrung in their operations by the "rules of engagement" imposed upon them by the nature of their work and by their host countries to effectively eliminate these cancers. So -- what are we to do?

The Issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal is a fully-Constitutional Federal Power which was specifically intended for the prosecution of Vengeance against the "stateless terrorists" of the Founder's day -- Pirates, Brigands, private armies, military adventurers, etc.

The purpose of a Letter of Marque and Reprisal is to create a financial incentive for private-sector military professionals -- trained mercenaries with an ability to travel individually or in small groups without detection -- to bring justice to those "stateless terrorists" identified as enemies of the citizenry. To gather intelligence on the ground, hunt these individuals down where they are hiding, and apprehend or eliminate them in their nests. The advantages of these private, paramilitary units (which are NOT mutually exclusive to a purposeful and directed Military response against defined physical targets) may suggest themselves already; so let's address the disadvantages first:

-- so does the US Criminal Justice system, every year... but we still prosecute Murder, because Murders must be avenged. But - bearing in mind for a moment that this is not a perfect world - ask yourself this: Who is likely to kill more innocent people -- a private mercenary unit who is looking for a specific individual so that they'll get paid, and knows that getting caught "in-country" could leave them at the mercies of a hostile foreign kangaroo court if they hit the wrong target..... or a B-52 bomber at 20,000 feet?? -- They already did try to kill the President (and Congress, too), and the soon-to-be-coming mass bombing raids against diverse and sundry Jihadistans aren't very likely to make them cozy up to us and play nice. -- September 11, 2001. And what is stopping them from doing it again, using different tactics, against different civilian targets is... what? The point is bloody well moot. -- Yes, and I'm proposing to pay them a heck of a lot more than the average 18-year old infantryman we're about to put into harm's way - and only if they volunteer for the mission, at that. -- Puh-leeze. Congress just busted the budget to the tune of $40 Billion for what may turn out to be the preliminary battles in a long war. We could bounty the heads of every single al-Qaeda operative at $1/2 million apiece for a quarter of that. And amounts averaging that level are probably appropriate, given a desire for swift and effective retribution, and the dangers that private contractors will face.

Those objections addressed, let's now consider a proposal.

WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE
Agents and Operatives of the Al-Qaeda Terrorist Organization

RESOLVED, That the Senators and Representatives of the United States in Congress Assembled, acting by the Powers granted them under Article 1, Section 8, Clause 11 of the Constitution of the United States of America, do hereby issue and grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal against those agents and operatives of the Al-Qaeda Terrorist Organization, such as the Department of Defense acting on the direction of the President in consultation with this Congress, shall specify. Terms:

The Congress shall authorize the sum of $20 Billion for the Material Organization, and Payment of Bounties, as this Resolution shall require.

ADVANTAGES
Of the Employment of Letters of Marque and Reprisal

Having discussed the Disadvantages of this proposal, herein and in a prior thread, it is now appropriate to consider the advantages which this proposal may offer:

Upon the passage of such a proposal by Congress, private paramilitary contractors may immediately begin locating and neutralizing (by apprehension or termination) those individuals identified by the Department of Defense as terrorists and abettors of terrorism. There is no need for private mercenary contractors to wait for the completion of a massive military build-up and formation of a vast (and likely cumbersome) diplomatic coalition; retribution by private Contractors can begin within days, or at most a few weeks, after the issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal by the Congress. This will result in an immediate and progressive reduction of the threat of terrorism against the United States citizenry, as each terrorist cell eliminated by private contractors represents the liquidation of a potential group of hijackers, bombers, mass murderers, or saboteurs. In addition, the rapid liquidation of terrorist cells by private mercenary contractors offers the hope of bolstering American citizen morale, and delivery of a powerful psychological-warfare blow against active terrorists and their organizational networks, and potentially their recruitment, training, and planning operations. The issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal offers the United States the opportunity to significantly increase, by private, paramilitary contracts, the amount of manpower available for eliminating terrorist threats. As has been noted previously, Bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda terrorist organization may number as many as 20,000 followers in some 37 countries – some estimates place this number even higher, and Bin Laden is no doubt recruiting new followers everyday. Attempting to deal with all of these individual cells at once may prove extremely difficult for the Intelligence and Counter-terrorist capabilities of the US Government, against an enemy which, if not dealt with in the most expeditious possible fashion, may soon deliver additional and terrible blows against the American citizenry – and the diversion of Intelligence resources from pre-assigned missions could critically deplete US human-intelligence gathering capabilities in numerous areas (to offer a very rough example, when is the last time a national military successfully attempted to attack in 37 different directions at once?). The issuance of financially-bountied Letters of Marque and Reprisal would make immediately available a pool of scores, even hundreds, of resourceful and self-motivated private paramilitary teams – dramatically and favorably changing the dynamic of US Counter-terrorist operations. Official United States Intelligence assets operate under certain “rules of engagement” which may tend to hamstring their effectiveness in operation against a great number of isolated, small, and hidden terrorist cells. Private paramilitary contractors, OTOH – taking upon themselves the risks and responsibilities of their operations -- are under no such constraints. There will be no “standard operating procedure” for terrorist cells to identify and prepare themselves against – private mercenaries will be able to hunt them “behind the lines and under cover of night”, from a number of different directions and utilizing dozens of unique methodologies. Government counter-terrorist expenditures carry little “guarantee” of results – monies are expended and operations executed, but even if the operation is a complete failure (see “Desert One” in Iran, 1979), the money has still been spent – and if the failure is publicized, American morale could suffer significantly. By contrast, private contractors may maximize counter-terrorist “bang for the buck”, as Bounties are disbursed only upon successful neutralization of the “marqued” target -- that is, private mercenaries will be paid to get results (See H. Ross Perot’s private mercenary operations in Iran, 1979). In addition, Government military action may have little accountability for innocents killed – a bombed village is a bombed village, whether you killed the Taliban terrorist-recruiter you’re aiming for, or not. By contrast, Letters of Marque and Reprisal do not necessarily exempt the private Contractor from prosecution in the case of unnecessary killing of civilians – which the Contractor wants to avoid anyway, as it calls hostile attention to his presence and compromises his effectiveness, not to mention the danger to his own life. The successful employment of Letters of Marque and Reprisal by private mercenary Contractors creates the potential for a resurgence of confidence in the virtues of what the Founders called the “Liberty Teeth” of a free society – an Armed Citizenry. The value of this restoration of Citizen self-confidence in their own arms, their own power of self-defense, cannot be overstated. By the employment of a fully Constitutional methodology for facilitating private Citizen action against Enemy terrorist elements, the Issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal offers the opportunity to accomplish significant retribution and elimination of terrorist threats without, in and of itself, any restriction whatsoever on existing liberties.

Timeline thus far….

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-123 next last
(This update on the progress of prospects for the Congressional issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal against the terrorist organizations responsible for the September 11, 2001, attack on America brought to you by the “Free Republic Libertarian Caucus”)

1 posted on 09/19/2001 6:23:08 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Uriel1975
bump for an interesting read...
2 posted on 09/19/2001 6:32:16 PM PDT by jude24
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Good work. Keep at it. Let me know if I can help.
3 posted on 09/19/2001 7:24:31 PM PDT by nunya bidness

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

Sounds interesting but I seem to remember something from Greek History I believe it was Athens, which relied entirely on mercenaries and eventually, lost the ability to defend itself.
5 posted on 09/19/2001 9:20:14 PM PDT by Free the USA

To: Free the USA, nunya bidness
Sounds interesting but I seem to remember something from Greek History I believe it was Athens, which relied entirely on mercenaries and eventually, lost the ability to defend itself.

You're probably thinking of Medieval Venice. Also the Byzantine Empire, at least post-1000 AD. I believe (if memory serves) that both Venice and Byzantium depended on unreliable foreign mercenaries -- to their misfortune.

But I don't think that the analogy applies here, as Letters of Marque and Reprisal approve the armament and Bounty-payment of the US's own citizenry. That's an entirely different matter. Mercenaries, yes, but of the home-grown variety. They live here. Their homeland is the same country -- the US of A -- for which they fight, and from which they collect Bounty.

A domestic armed citizenry? I consider that a good thing. In fact, I bet you do too.

6 posted on 09/19/2001 9:28:23 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Let me know if you need help working the phones.

Also I hope you got my message about a neighbor of yours who may find this issue "close to home."

7 posted on 09/19/2001 10:42:32 PM PDT by nunya bidness
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Uriel1975 All
My research on the Letter of Marque issue, IIRC, showed that the actual use of Letters of Marque, or privateering, was abolished by an international treaty in the 1840s. I will do some more research on this and return to the thread.
8 posted on 09/19/2001 10:42:43 PM PDT by SR71A

To: Uriel1975 All
The original uses and reasons for Letters of Marque were for maritime harrasment of the enemy's trade with no capital investment by the issuing Government.
Expressed another way, privateers were government sanctioned pirates. The letters of marque were used to save them, sometimes, from being hung as pirates if they were caught by the opposition.
This is a new and intruiging wrinkle on the idea, though.
Maybe we should also include "prize" allocations of any financial assets that are seized by private individuals?
Maybe we should issue Letters of Marque to computer hackers?
9 posted on 09/19/2001 10:53:35 PM PDT by SR71A

To: Uriel1975 Dwizzy1
bump
10 posted on 09/19/2001 11:32:19 PM PDT by arimus

To: Texaggie79, Alan Chapman, nunya bidness, tex-oma, Demidog
I'm choosing to respond over here (that other thread is too long).

However the animal has no way to get out on its own.

Only by the decision of the Property Owner.
If, OTOH the Property Owner takes his animal outside the Fence, he is 100% responsible for any harms his animal commits.

Likewise, he is 100% responsible for any harms he commits.

This would have to be the case in a person on hard drugs.

Hard Drugs like Everclear?

'Fraid Not. The Bible provides no justification for State invasion of Property when the Property-Owner commits no Harm, and restrains his Potential Harm to within his Fence. OTOH, if the Property Owner brings the potential Harm outside the Fence, the Bible admits of no reduction in his "Personal Responsibility" whatsoever.

You see, I have you several ways now. Hard drug users would have to be restrained and observed, if their drug were legalize (which you fight SOOOO hard for).

Chain up all vodka-users??

Biblically, no justification for that idea whatsoever. Rather, they are permitted to drink themselves silly, or allow their pit-bulls to roam free, within their Fence. And held 100% responsible for their actions, or the actions of their pit-bull, if they should bring the Potential Harm outside the Fence.

The Bible treats both Property Rights and Personal Responsibility as absolute.

You give your consent to the law by choosing to live in your community that outlaws it.

Just as Paul advises Slaves to tolerate their situation with meek-ness.

Unless, of course, they have (as all citizens of a Republic do), the opportunity to change the Law.

If a Christian has the opportunity to change the Law, he must seek to bring it into conformity with Biblical Law. Period.

I tell ya Uriel, if you put HALF the effort into spreading the good news to the unsaved that you do on trying to Biblically legitimize the legalization o drugs, this world would be a much better place.

The Biblical question is not "legalization" of intoxicants, but whether there is any Non-Covenantal justification for State prohibition of intoxicants in the first place. (There isn't).

As to my "efforts", I spend an awful lot of time defending Sound Christian Doctrine, as all too many professing "christians" don't even really know what the Good News is. We can hardly preach it if we don't get it right ourselves.

Also, there's the matter of my sponsorship of a call for the Federal issuance of Letters of Marque and Reprisal against the terrorists responsible for the September 11 attack, a proposal which -- thanks in large part to the efforts of several other Libertarian FReepers and some personal friends of my own (mainly my friend Murray Sabrin, National Vice-Chair of the Republican Liberty Caucus) -- has already been brought to Congressional attention on the floor of the House of Representatives (see TimeLine, above).

At this point, we're somewhat at the mercy of Congress to move forward. But if we are able to move this thing forward.... I might have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

To wit:

I have already acknowledged on Free Republic that thanks to a friendship I established back in early 2000, I am now "two degrees of separation" from US Representative Ron Paul -- I am good friends with Murray, and Murray is good friends with Ron Paul. What I haven't previously acknowledged publicly is that I am also only "two degrees of separation" from billionaire H. Ross Perot, one of the few American individuals in recent history (Iran, 1979, "On Wings of Eagles") to carry out a 100% successful mercenary conuter-terrorist infiltration operation -- while the Government, as Governments often do, completely failed (Iran, 1979, "Desert One").

Not that I know Ross personally. I don't. But he's the personal friend of a personal friend -- which is all I care to tell the likes of you, Tex. (The only reason I am mentioning this now is to give my fellow libertarians an idea of where I'm hoping to go with this "Marque and Reprisal" thing -- and because I'm a little offended at the idea of a third-rate slap-fighting midget questioning my "efforts"). IF the Free Republic Liberty Caucus can get this proposal to a Congressional Vote, then I might be able to swing Perot's backing... depending on whether or not he'd be interested in private paramilitary counter-terrorist operations again, or not (heck, it might be right up his alley). If I can pull that together... expect fireworks. (Time will tell).

So, in response to your challenge, yes, I keep myself busy -- with a range of different projects that engage my attention. Responding to the incessant Logical and Theological fallacies of a little Texas-Aggie wanna-be G-banger yappy-dog, nipping at my heels and crying for my attention, is (at least you got at least that much right) probably a waste of my time (I don't get enough sleep as it is). But , I'll admit -- I'm a sucker for a chance to educate my fellow-citizen. "The Best Defense of Liberty is an Informed Citizenry", Jefferson is reputed to have opined; if someone doesn't impel you to honest self-criticism of the MTV-educated pablum you call your "thought process", how will you ever learn to actually think??

11 posted on 09/20/2001 7:31:35 PM PDT by Uriel1975

To: SR71A
My research on the Letter of Marque issue, IIRC, showed that the actual use of Letters of Marque, or privateering, was abolished by an international treaty in the 1840s. I will do some more research on this and return to the thread.1856.

But the United States never signed the treaty.

Our delegates rejected the treaty on the grounds that, at that time, the US Navy was completely dependent upon Private paramilitary participation via Marque and Reprisal to protect US shipping.

The Marque and Reprisal option is open and available for us, if we can get it to a vote.

12 posted on 09/20/2001 7:40:18 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

If, OTOH the Property Owner takes his animal outside the Fence, he is 100% responsible for any harms his animal commits

But the dog is not allowed to roam free. Therefore, as I said, the user would have to be observed at ALL times and LOCKED into his own property, as the dog. And I quite like the analogy of a hard drug user being a dog. They should enjoy the same amount of freedom while intoxicated. And no hard liquor does not qualify.

And the good news is SALVATION, not living under a perfect gov. Do you really think that God is concerned because our gov. does not allow crack heads to legally enjoy their habit? If you do, you are sick.

God is more concerned about our SPIRITUAL lives than our political ones. The government we live under is of very little concern to him, compared to our SPIRITUAL freedom. You focus your efforts on social LIBERALISM and you go against God.

As for Ron Paul, he was my moms OBGYN. RP is a great family man and is not arrogant and conceded as you are. You are nothing but a mouth, backed by nothing.

Perhaps if you focus more on SPIRITUAL life and not political, you may actually have a chance to do something worth while.

Oh, BTW Demidog is banned.

13 posted on 09/20/2001 7:44:06 PM PDT by Texaggie79
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: tex-oma
BTW, tex -- I'd like to ask Jim Rob to reinstate Demidog this weekend, when I'll (hopefully) have time to shepherd this thread for a little while. If you have a list of FReepers who would support this petition, let me know via FReepMail. Thanks/
14 posted on 09/20/2001 7:49:06 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Texaggie79, Alan Chapman, nunya bidness, tex-oma, A.J.Armitage
But the dog is not allowed to roam free. Therefore, as I said, the user would have to be observed at ALL times and LOCKED into his own property, as the dog. And I quite like the analogy of a hard drug user being a dog. They should enjoy the same amount of freedom while intoxicated. And no hard liquor does not qualify.

Nope. Biblically, a Human Being is not a dog.

Biblically, humans are always treated as being 100% responsible for their actions at all times.

And yes, vodka, Bacardi 151, and Everclear are hard drugs, and as likely as almost any other hard drug (and moreso than many) to affect a man's tendency towards inflicting Harm on his neighbor.

If you don't know this, you don't know vodka.

And the good news is SALVATION, not living under a perfect gov. Do you really think that God is concerned because our gov. does not allow crack heads to legally enjoy their habit? If you do, you are sick.

I think that God is concerned that the Government violates Biblical Law for the purpose of seizing those non-violent "hard drug" users who have not Harmed their neighbors (only themselves) and throwing them in a prison to become victims of homosexual rape, members of violent criminal gangs, and proficient street thugs unable to get a job because of a criminal record but completely calloused towards human life, yes.

I have no difficulty whatsoever supposing that God sees that as a violation of His Law for Government. And guess what, TexHypocrite79: it is.

God is more concerned about our SPIRITUAL lives than our political ones. The government we live under is of very little concern to him, compared to our SPIRITUAL freedom. You focus your efforts on social LIBERALISM and you go against God.

Gnostic Heresy, TexAggie (look it up, maybe you'll understand).

The Spiritual Life is the Political Life. The Political Life is the Spiritual Life. You are never allowed to take off your "Christian Hat", it applies to all aspects of your life, equally and at all times.

As for Ron Paul, he was my moms OBGYN. RP is a great family man and is not arrogant and conceded as you are. You are nothing but a mouth, backed by nothing.

Ron Paul is a great Man, largely because he is a great Libertarian.

He has an iron-clad set of rock-solid Biblical Principles guiding his life, and thereby, infusing his libertarianism.

You, of course, do not.

Perhaps if you focus more on SPIRITUAL life and not political, you may actually have a chance to do something worth while.

Perhaps your entire conception of man is flawed.

God demands our whole souls -- spirit and flesh. For the Christian, the Political and the Spiritual ought never be considered as separate affairs. To do so, results in the sort of "moral compartmentalization" preached by those who know that it would be sinful for them to trespass onto a neighbor's property and shoot him for ingesting the "wrong" kind of intoxicant, but imagine that by "voting" for such Assault and Battery, it becomes morally "Okay".

As I said -- that's just the result of the anti-Christian Gnostic heresy at work in your thought processes. The fact is, you can never take off your "Christian Hat" to approve of Violence which you would not commit yourself when you "put your Christian Hat back on". Never.

Oh, BTW Demidog is banned.

Currently.

15 posted on 09/20/2001 8:06:38 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Bump.
16 posted on 09/20/2001 8:31:15 PM PDT by nunya bidness
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

you don't know vodka

I'm actually ashamed of how much I personally do know it, and other hard liquors. The majority of everyone I knew and my worst reaction from it was passing out and being VERY sick.

become victims of homosexual rape, members of violent criminal gangs, and proficient street thugs So because our prison system is out of control we need to allow criminals to walk? And yes hard drug users are criminals, they use an illicit drug, deemed illicit by their community and they also thereby endanger their neighbors.

The Spiritual Life is the Political Life.

You know what, as much as I hate the notion of paying for other people's irresponsibility, i.e. medicare, welfare, ect. I don't think God gives a good crap. THERE are billions of unsaved lives out there, and God is going to be concerned that some guy is freeloading off the gov? You have your priorities WAY screwed up.

Ron Paul is a great Man, largely because he is a great Libertarian.

But he is also a realistic man, by running within the Rep. party. He is also a reasonable man because you hardly hear any crap about legalizing drugs from him. That is nowhere near the top of his list. And he does not go around telling people how much he "outclasses" them.

but imagine that by "voting" for such Assault and Battery, it becomes morally "Okay".

You guys are SOO propaganda driven. Should we commit assault and battery on a person that does not pay his traffic tickets? But we should arrest them right? Your analogy is horrendously off.

I have not ever promoted breaking into user's houses.

The fact is, you can never take off your "Christian Hat" to approve of Violence

As I said, I think people who do not pay their traffic tickets should be arrested, but not have violence committed upon them. You are entering another red herring.

17 posted on 09/20/2001 8:42:15 PM PDT by Texaggie79

Demidog banned? Unbelievable.

The only times I've ever seen him the least bit out of line is after he's been repeately attacked with personal insults.

I'm entirely in favor of bringing him back, and find it hard to believe he did anything which justified banning him even temporarily.

18 posted on 09/20/2001 8:53:31 PM PDT by LSJohn

To: Texaggie79
I'm actually ashamed of how much I personally do know it, and other hard liquors. The majority of everyone I knew and my worst reaction from it was passing out and being VERY sick.

But there might be a different reaction. You might become violent. You might become an adict(alcoholic) and rob houses to get your alcohol. So, if you're treating potential harms as crimes in addition to actual ones, you have to punish drinkers. Not just of the hard stuff, but of all alcoholic drinks, since they do the same thing lower levels.

BTW, Vodka's good, but Jager's really good.

And yes hard drug users are criminals, they use an illicit drug, deemed illicit by their community and they also thereby endanger their neighbors.

Are you really prepared to say that anything deemed illicit by the community should be illegal?

You guys are SOO propaganda driven. Should we commit assault and battery on a person that does not pay his traffic tickets? But we should arrest them right? Your analogy is horrendously off.

As I said, I think people who do not pay their traffic tickets should be arrested, but not have violence committed upon them.

What do you think happens if you don't want to be arrested, and attempt to avoid it?

19 posted on 09/20/2001 8:55:22 PM PDT by A.J.Armitage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Texaggie79, Alan Chapman, nunya bidness, tex-oma, A.J.Armitage

Most people react similarly to opium, heroin, etc... actually they just "zone out", and you'd be lucky if you could get them to kill a cockroach, let alone a human being.

But some people react to hard drugs by getting violent. And hard liquor is certainly as powerful a contributor to their violent tendencies as most any other kind of "hard drug" (and as mentioned above, moreso than most).

But the Bible does not justify any State invasion of their Property. None whatsoever. They are held responsible for violent actions, not intoxication.

become victims of homosexual rape, members of violent criminal gangs, and proficient street thugs ~~ So because our prison system is out of control we need to allow criminals to walk? And yes hard drug users are criminals, they use an illicit drug, deemed illicit by their community and they also thereby endanger their neighbors.

The same could be said of 190-proof Everclear, because you have no rational reason whatsoever for excluding it from the community of "hard drugs".

You choose to make "hard drugs" (defined as, "any drugs other than the ones which Texaggie79 has used") illegal upon Private Property -- a choice for whcih you have no Biblical Justification whatsoever -- and thereby "sanctify" your choice to subject non-violent users of "hard drugs" (defined as, "any drugs other than the ones which Texaggie79 has used") to become victims of homosexual rape, members of violent criminal gangs, and proficient street thugs unable to get a job because of a criminal record but completely calloused towards human life -- while you wash your hands of the whole mess and say, "I didn't do it, I just voted for it!".

Nuthin' for nuthin', but that attitude is Pharisiacally sanctimonious, Ethically hypocritical, and downright sick.

The Spiritual Life is the Political Life. ~~ You know what, as much as I hate the notion of paying for other people's irresponsibility, i.e. medicare, welfare, ect. I don't think God gives a good crap. THERE are billions of unsaved lives out there, and God is going to be concerned that some guy is freeloading off the gov? You have your priorities WAY screwed up.

You think that God doesn't "give a good crap"?

That's nuts.

God is intimately concerned with every sparrow that falls in the woods. He is intimately concerned with the revolution of every electron around every proton in the universe.

Yes, tex, He most certainly does "give a crap" about how we subject our Political Philosophy to Biblical Law (much as you hate that notion).

Ron Paul is a great Man, largely because he is a great Libertarian. t he is also a realistic man, by running within the Rep. party. He is also a reasonable man because you hardly hear any crap about legalizing drugs from him. That is nowhere near the top of his list.

Bullhockey.

Ron Paul's speeches contain plenty of condemnations of the insanities of the "War on (some) Drugs". I could post a dozen such excerpts if you liked, but you know how to use a search engine, and you know I'm right.

And he does not go around telling people how much he "outclasses" them.

Ron needs your vote.

I don't.

I don't mind telling you that you're dead wrong.

but imagine that by "voting" for such Assault and Battery, it becomes morally "Okay". You guys are SOO propaganda driven. Should we commit assault and battery on a person that does not pay his traffic tickets? But we should arrest them right? Your analogy is horrendously off.

Traffic tickets are the result of an individual's refusal to obey the "usage rules" of public property -- essentially, they are trespassing.

Biblically, not only can you ethically employ Force against a trespasser, you could even shoot them if they resisted.

By contrast, you are trying to pretend that you may ethically trespass onto another man's property, and commit Assault against him thereupon because he is using "hard drugs" (defined as, "any drugs other than the ones which Texaggie79 has used"), so long as you "vote" that action to be morally "Okay".

That attitude is Pharisiacally sanctimonious, Ethically hypocritical, and downright sick.

I have not ever promoted breaking into user's houses.

So police may not break into user's houses?

So in other words, the police may not invade a man's Property - ever - unless they have reason to believe that the individual is committing an Aggressive Harm against aomeone else thereupon?

Then what are you whining about? I've already acknowledged that so long as Public Commons are Public Property, you may legislate "usage rules" concerning "public intoxication" even without unanimous covenant, on the basis of public ownership.

If you believe, OTOH, that police should not break into user's houses, then you are admitting the Biblical sanctity of Private Property -- which essentially grants my entire argument.

In which case, glad you finally came around to the Biblical position. Thanks for the debate.

20 posted on 09/20/2001 9:32:32 PM PDT by Uriel1975
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-123 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson