Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Video journalist documents terrible moment in history
The Spartanburg Herald Journal ^ | 19 September 2001 | JOSE FRANCO

Posted on 09/19/2001 8:12:37 AM PDT by aomagrat

Spartanburg native Lucia Davis was seconds from death this past week when terrorists struck the World Trade Center.

And she caught it all on a video camera.

The film that shows her being pulled from the path of falling debris has made it onto national television, including NBC's "Today Show" on Monday.

Davis, 38, was filming the aftermath of the collapse of the first tower of the World Trade Center with a small personal video camera when the second tower started to fall.

An anonymous bystander pulled Davis into a juice bar called "Elixir."

"It fell so fast -- really, really fast," she said. "This huge tower of black smoke, ash and pulverized glass came rushing forward like a tidal wave," she said. But she continued to film.

"I wasn't scared. I was in shock and disbelief."

Davis thought she still had a couple of more seconds she could film when someone pulled her into the store building.

The videotape reveals the horror:

"You want to die?" a voice screams on the videotape.

"Get away from the windows!," another unidentified person yells.

"There it comes!" another person warns.

"Oh my God!, Oh my God! You saved my life. You saved my life," Davis screams hysterically at her rescuer.

Two other journalists, two employees and two other people huddled in the back of the juice bar.

"All we could see was inches and inches of ash," Davis said from her New York apartment Monday. "This glass dust got inside my pants and started to sting. There were papers scattered from every floor."

Davis is an independent filmmaker and video journalist who works for the Lifetime Network, The Learning Channel, and the History Channel. She has a bachelor's degree in psychology and religion from Princeton University, but minored in photography and received a degree in media art from the University of South Carolina. She moved to New York 11 years ago.

On Sept. 11, Davis had a meeting in uptown Manhattan when she heard an explosion.

"I heard a boom and my clock radio died," she said, explaining that she lives on Broome Street near the Holland Tunnel.

At that moment, her father, Mac Davis, a pathologist in Spartanburg, called to tell her that he saw a plane crash into the World Trade Center on television.

"I headed out with my cameras," she said. "I saw all these people looking up and I followed the action."

She recorded everything - lanes of traffic shut off, EMS vehicles speeding down streets, sidewalks full of horrified people.

"I felt compelled to record these events," she said. "I sensed this was a historic moment. I was recording people's faces and heard them screaming, and I saw one tower was just a plume of smoke," she said. "People were crying, screaming in utter shock." Davis kept heading farther south. "I remarked to someone that it would be horrifying when the smoke cleared that there would be no tower there." When she got to Chamber Street, five blocks from the World Trade Center, she saw white powder everywhere. "I was shocked to find out it was ash," she said.

She found herself surrounded by other journalists and police officers in helmets and riot gear, pouring out of armored vehicles.

"They were pushing us back and told us there was a suspicious package in the area, so we stayed on the south side of Chambers Street," she said.

Davis videotaped the nurses, doctors, police officers, firefighters and EMS walking into the site.

"I was concerned that she was in harm's way," said her father Mac Davis. "She could have been injured. But she was really there working as a journalist. I've had to learn that her job does entail some risk."

After going home to change clothes and rest, Davis got an assignment with MSNBC - NBC's all-news channel and Web site.

"I went to ground zero," she said. "I was across the street from what was the World Trade Center. It was beyond belief. It was eerie. Everyone was in shock."

People were building ramps down to a rescue center. Police officers were walking up and down the street. Firefighters were shooting water over burning ashes. There were piles of fire hoses, debris and ash.

Davis' work was used in a one-hour special Monday on MSNBC. And then Matt Lauer interviewed her Monday on the Today Show. "It was my personal story, the first 24 hours after the explosion," she said. Davis called her father Monday morning to warn him of the footage.

"I respect her judgment," he said. "She is street smart and a good judge of her own safety. She can handle herself. "But I couldn't keep my eyes off of it (the film)," he said.

This past weekend, she also shot video at ground zero of the World Trade Center explosion for MSNBC.

The video of her rescue has been played many times. And Davis said she has gotten lots of calls from childhood friends.

As for her savior, no one at the juice bar knows the man who pulled Davis to safety.

Though she is tired, Davis is still filming.

"I plan to go back out there," she said Tuesday evening.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
An amazing story of survival!
1 posted on 09/19/2001 8:12:37 AM PDT by aomagrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: aomagrat

My dear brother and sister FReepers,

At this, of all times in my lifetime, I would like nothing more than to be able to read these threads and reply to them.  I have much I would like to say.

BUT, I cannot!

Why?

Because I am trying hard to raise the finances needed to keep FreeRepublic up and running so that we can continue to share valuable information and respond to it.

I beg you, if you have not yet donated to FreeRepublic this quarter,  do so now!

If you have already donated, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND GOD BLESS YOU, please ping your friends, and FReep on...!

I realize you are giving to lots of Relief efforts and I encourage you to do so.  But we need to help FR too.  Where would we be right now without it?

If you have no money, please come and bump the Fundraiser Thread.

I would really like to reach our goal quickly so that I and the rest of the dedicated FReepers who are working the Fundraiser Threads can participate in what is undeniably the most important time in FreeRepublic's history.

WHERE WOULD YOU GET YOUR NEWS FROM IF FREEREPUBLIC WASN'T HERE?<--click here

Support FreeRepublic! Support the U.S.A. <--click here

2 posted on 09/19/2001 8:14:46 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: aomagrat
Saw this and laughed my @ss off!, this is one STUPID broad. You should have heard someone with half a brain yelling at her, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get in here, Get away from the window, Get away from the window, Get away from the window, Get away from the window, Get away from the window, Get away from the window, Get away from the window. This was a Darwin award in the making.
3 posted on 09/19/2001 8:40:39 AM PDT by okie_tech
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: okie_tech, cc Snow Bunny, HalfIrish
News & photo journalists are a different breed. They put themselves in harm's way to report & record history in the making.

Do you laugh and make fun of war journalists? I don't think so.

If she had been a man, would you have made fun of him? I don't think so.

This woman is no different than any other reporter in any other war. She evidenced the sort of "bravery" that is needed to document the horrors of war. And, make no mistake about it, the WTC was an Act of War - not mere terrorism.

God bless her father who gave her the inspiration to aspire. And God bless her and keep her from the night sweats.

4 posted on 09/19/2001 10:06:02 AM PDT by JudyB1938
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: JudyB1938
Thank you .wow I am so glad you pinged me. AND your post as well is fantastic. I agree completely !!!!!!!
5 posted on 09/19/2001 6:00:37 PM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Swheats, Hillary's lovely legs,
Thought you girls would like to read this. Also please read post # 4. excellent.
6 posted on 09/19/2001 6:02:07 PM PDT by Snow Bunny

Real war photographers don't shriek, "you saved my life!" hysterically again and again and again. C'mon, she works for Lifetime.
7 posted on 09/19/2001 6:09:43 PM PDT by MediaMole

To: MediaMole, cc Snow Bunny, HalfIrish
You have no idea what "real" photographers say in time of crisis. No idea, whatsoever. You have never been there, have you?

I don't care who that gal works for. She was brave enough to go to the heart of the action. I sure didn't see Dan Rather, etc., and their camera crews there. Sure didn't see YOU.

There are just some people in this world who will criticize others, no matter what they do. I suspect you are one of them. This FEMALE was a brave little girl. God bless her!

8 posted on 09/19/2001 7:49:39 PM PDT by JudyB1938
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: okie_tech
I'll defend her, as she is a fellow Carolinian. Obviously she was in shock and that's why she behaved so foolishly. Give her a break, pal.
9 posted on 09/19/2001 8:01:35 PM PDT by rebelyell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: MediaMole
Now how on earth do you know what they do. How odd that you decide what another person would do in critical situations. People are still people no matter what their jobs are. Sometimes something gets to one person that does not bother another and vice versa.
10 posted on 09/19/2001 8:12:28 PM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Snow Bunny
Thanks for your ping, and thank you JudyB
11 posted on 09/19/2001 9:01:30 PM PDT by Hillary's Lovely Legs
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

News & photo journalists are a different breed. They put themselves in harm's way to report & record history in the making.

One of the videos which was aired on the day of the disaster shows the debris cloud from one of the fallen towers coming right at the camera, which remains steady until the very last second when the guy behind the camera says into the microphone, "I hope I live" as he ducks behind a parked car. There there is the rapid-fire sound of flying chunks bouncing off the car, and a dense fog of dust.

About 20 seconds later a rescue worker emerges from the fog wearing breathing gear, and the guy with the video camera (which is still running) asks if he can borrow a few breaths of fresh air from the face mask. So the rescue worker and the cameraman swap the mask back and forth a few times.

Amazing stuff.

12 posted on 09/19/2001 9:15:59 PM PDT by Dan Day

To: Dan Day
The tape you speak of is actually a doctor who was going to the scene to help people. He had his video camera along. I saw that video, too.
13 posted on 09/19/2001 9:19:29 PM PDT by zoyd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I agree with everything you said.
14 posted on 09/19/2001 9:21:28 PM PDT by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson