Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Panama investigating company allegedly linked to bin Laden
AFP ^ | September 18, 2001

Posted on 09/18/2001 12:30:15 PM PDT by Ranger

Wednesday, September 19 1:28 AM SGT Panama investigating company allegedly linked to bin Laden

Panama investigating company allegedly linked to bin Laden

PANAMA CITY, Sept 18 (AFP) -

Panama is investigating an alleged connection between a financial firm registered here and Saudi-born extremist Osama bin Laden, the main suspect in the terror strikes on the United States, President Mireya Moscoso said Tuesday.

"We have received a number of reports from foreign police and we are investigating that company to determine whether it has links to Bin Laden," Moscoso told a hastily arranged news conference.

Some European media have reported that a company named Taqwa -- of fear of God -- was registered in Panama and used by Bin laden for financial operations.

Panama also is investigating two people detained here en route to Cuba with false passports the day of the terror strikes on the United States, a migration spokeswoman said.

The two, thought to be Turks Tommy Kaluzmmy and Anna Birgitta Linoberg, arrived from Colombia and were headed to Cuba, according to Migration spokesoman Margarita Moreno. She did not immediately identify the country named on their false documentation.

Moreno said Panama's National Security and Defense Council had asked US and Colombian intelligence officials for information on whether the two might be sought by authorities abroad.

The arrests came as authorities here ratcheted up security precautions at Tocumen International airport after the deadly attacks in Washington and New York.

Cuba has condemned the attacks.

The US State Department includes Cuba on a list of nations accused by Washington of supporting terrorism.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last
Cuba?
1 posted on 09/18/2001 12:30:16 PM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Ranger
I do hope that W's battle plan includes OBL's financiers, bankers, brokers and money launderers. Take 'em out covertly with an agressive wet work campaign so nobody wants to touch his money. To the extent drug traffickers are providing product for sale and financing, they too should be targeted and eliminated....
2 posted on 09/18/2001 12:42:25 PM PDT by eureka!
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

As many of you know, I help with the FreeRepublic fundraisers. It is not always easy or fun sitting at a computer for hours and hours monitoring those threads. Everyone who work the threads VOLUNTEERS to do so. We spend days and weeks helping to keep FreeRepublic running.

Ask yourself these questions:

Where is the first place I go to get my news?
Am I getting any benefit from FreeRepublic?
Am I learning from FreeRepublic?

FreeRepublic is not free. It costs Jim Robinson tens of thousands of dollars to keep this forum running. There are over 60,000 registered users on FreeRepublic and only 1,000 help keep this forum running. Those who do not have the ability to donate money could help by bumping the threads once in a while. Those who who do should be ashamed of yourselves. You are a FReeploader.

Go ahead, flame me. I don't care. I contribute to FreeRepublic, and I for one do not want to see this forum dead.

If everyone who registered donated one measly dollar a month, we would never have to have a fundraiser again.

Donate Here by Secure Server

Or Mail your check to:

FreeRepublic , LLC
PO BOX 9771
FRESNO, CA 93794

To donate By Paypal:

Send PayPal direct to JimRob@psnw.com

3 posted on 09/18/2001 12:49:26 PM PDT by WIMom

To: eureka!
Fully agree. Targeting hits on the financial sources and his money minions is something that is low cost, trackable, more effective than dropping bombs on camel tents though not as emotionally gratifying.

The scary things are where this will lead us. To the Saudi and Gulf elite business structure perhaps paying protection money? Panama, Russia, Cuba, Japan, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and to US and British banks which facilitate these transactions without asking a lot of questions.

CIA & NSA could do wonders here and might bring down some drug cartels at the same time.

One wonders why the Bin Laden family business remains in business, and what electronic trail is left to follow on short selling which was so evident last week?

4 posted on 09/18/2001 12:53:03 PM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

As to protection money, I understand that a lot of that is being paid by Saudis and others. One would think that, if that is the case, they would perhaps send little untraceable birdies to sing to various intelligence agencies as to the contacts. In any event, I do hope that the war to be waged is fought on this front as well, and as it must to remove this cancer....
5 posted on 09/18/2001 1:04:48 PM PDT by eureka!
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

My dear brother and sister FReepers,

At this, of all times in my lifetime, I would like nothing more than to be able to read these threads and reply to them.  I have much I would like to say.

BUT, I cannot!

Why?

Because I am trying hard to raise the finances needed to keep FreeRepublic up and running so that we can continue to share valuable information and respond to it.

I beg you, if you have not yet donated to FreeRepublic this quarter,  do so now!

I realize you are giving to lots of Relief efforts and I encourage you to do so.  But we need to help FR too.  Where would we be right now without it?

If you have no money, please come and bump the Fundraiser Thread.

I would really like to reach our goal quickly so that I and the rest of the dedicated FReepers who are working the Fundraiser Threads can participate in what is undeniably the most important time in FreeRepublic's history.

WHERE WOULD YOU GET YOUR NEWS FROM IF FREEREPUBLIC WASN'T HERE? <--click here

Support FreeRepublic! Support the U.S.A. <--click here

6 posted on 09/18/2001 2:34:50 PM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I came across this small quote in one of today's articles, "Boucher [State Dept. spokesman] also said a U.S. official visited Cuba's diplomatic mission in Washington and asked for whatever information Cuba may have about the terrorist attack. Cuba has strongly condemned the Sept. 11 disaster." ... I wonder? Would Castro trade two scumbags from Bin Laden's financial network for eased economic sanctions or other 'humanitarian' jestures on our part in coming months?
7 posted on 09/18/2001 3:15:00 PM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Meanwhile, Cuba is also getting arms from China too. Not to be trusted to any degree...
8 posted on 09/18/2001 4:26:51 PM PDT by eureka!
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: ChaseR,Mudboy Slim,ALOHA RONNIE
Hmmmm?
9 posted on 09/18/2001 4:38:42 PM PDT by Ragtime Cowgirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Agreed. Also there was a recent headline concerning the IRA working under contract in Columbia and moving through Cuba.
10 posted on 09/18/2001 7:27:15 PM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: COMMUNIST APOLOGISTS/LIBERAL SYMPATHIZERS, Black Jade, j_accuse
"Panama also is investigating two people detained here en route to Cuba with false passports..."

Say Communist apologists/liberal sympathizers Black Jade and j-accuse, what was that you two have been desperately preaching about Panama being "nice and secure?" And what is this you two? False passports being used down in Panama. If suspected terrorist have been hoping back and forth between Panama and Cuba, don't you two think it is logical to assume that the Communist Chinese could also use fake passports and that the Chinese might have already or will - ship munitions, arms, weapons, short-range missiles or missile parts to Panama? Simply Confirm or Deny these thoughts I have you presented to you two.
Confirm or Deny please.

11 posted on 09/19/2001 6:59:23 AM PDT by ChaseR

I wonder if our security would have picked this up earlier if we were still running the canal instead of the Chicoms (thanks to Jimmy Carter).
12 posted on 09/19/2001 7:07:32 AM PDT by putupon

To: ChaseR
Unusually liberal banking laws make Panama a transit point for other things besides ships. China may have desires on gaining influence in Cuba and Venezuela but I doubt China has much interest in US troops being stationed in Indian, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
13 posted on 09/19/2001 8:34:33 AM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Comment #14 Removed by Moderator

Cuba has strongly condemned the Sept. 11 disaster."

Castro made his condemnation AFTER bush made the "those -who-harbor-terrorists" speech.

15 posted on 09/20/2001 4:17:47 AM PDT by bimbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: bimbo
Agree. there are also recent reports that as many as 200 terrorists used Cuba as a means of getting to USA and Cayman Islands.
16 posted on 09/20/2001 5:26:25 AM PDT by Ranger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: COMMUNIST APOLOGIST/SYMPATHIZER, BLACK JADE
"Re: that ultimatum you presented me with..."

Circumstances change jade. Daily.
Now, Communist sympathizer jade - I'll keep directing the same debilitating question to you - and you'll reply with -confirm or deny/or with your same ridculous/lame excuse for not answering - and each reader will decide for themselves - as to - - why you won't say, yes or no, confirm or deny - the logical conclusion -that since China has just been caught by our satellites - - SECRETLY - - supplying weapons, munitions, arms to Cuba - it is highly likely that China is very well - proceeding with this same strategy of sneaking weapons -into Panama and even has already/or will -bring short range missiles (or missile parts) to Panama.

Confirm or Deny jade.

17 posted on 09/24/2001 7:17:04 AM PDT by ChaseR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Ranger, Ragtime Cowgirl, Snow Bunny, ALOHA RONNIE, KLT, goldilucky, Landru, backhoe, Old Lady
"Cuba?"

Yep...Cuba!

China secretly shipping Cuba arms

18 posted on 09/24/2001 7:21:15 AM PDT by ChaseR

To: Hammerdown, Inspector Harry Callahan, Doug from Upland, Travis McGee, Jeff Head, Publius, Patriot76
bttt
19 posted on 09/24/2001 7:22:36 AM PDT by ChaseR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: ChaseR
The pieces of the mosaic are slow in-coming; but they are coming nonetheless.

There's a real story unfolding here...

20 posted on 09/24/2001 7:23:32 AM PDT by Landru
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson