Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

WHY DOES GOD ALLOW EVIL?
Fantasywriter | 9/17/01 | Pastor Rick Warren/Saddleback Church

Posted on 09/17/2001 12:48:19 PM PDT by RnMomof7

WHY DOES GOD ALLOW EVIL?
Pastor Rick Warren
Saddleback Church, Lake Forest, CA.

Tuesday’s horrific mass murder of innocent Americans leaves all rational people shocked, angry, grief-stricken, and numb. Our tears flow freely and our hearts carry a deep ache. How could this happen in our nation?

As mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, and co-workers begin to share their stories of the horror, this tragedy will be become even more personal. As this tragedy becomes more personal, it will become more painful and as our pain deepens, so will the questions. Why does God allow evil to happen? If God is so great, and so good, why does he allow human beings to hurt each other?

The answer lies in both our greatest blessing and our worst curse: our capacity to make choices. God has given us a free will. Made in God’s image, he has given us the freedom to decide how we will act and the ability to make moral choices. This is one asset that sets us apart from animals, but it also is the source of so much pain in our world. People, and that includes all of us, often make selfish, self-centered, and evil choices. Whenever that happens, people get hurt. Sin is ultimately selfishness. I want to do what I want, not what God tells me to do. Unfortunately, sin always hurts others, not just ourselves.

God could have eliminated all evil from our world by simply removing our ability to choose it. He could have made us puppets, or marionettes on strings that he pulls. By taking away our ability to choose it , evil would vanish. But God doesn’t want us to be puppets. He wants to be loved and obeyed by creatures who voluntarily choose to do so. Love is not genuine if there is no other option.

Yes, God could have kept the terrorist from completing their suicidal missions by removing their ability to choose their own will instead of his. But to be fair, God would also have to do that to all of us. You and I are not terrorists, but we do harm and hurt others with our own selfish decisions and actions.

You may hear misguided minds say “This must have been God’s will.” Nonsense! In a world of free choices, God’s will is rarely done! Doing our own will is much more common. Don’t blame God for this tragedy. Blame people who ignored what God has told us to do: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

In heaven, God’s will is done perfectly. That’s why there is no sorrow, pain, or evil there. But this is earth, a fallen, imperfect place. We must choose to do God’s will everyday. It isn’t automatic. This is why Jesus told us to pray “Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.”
The Bible explains the root of evil: “This is the crisis we're in: God’s light streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for the darkness...because they were not really interested in pleasing God.” ( John 3:19 Message Translation) We’re far more interested in pleasing ourselves.

There are many other questions that race through our minds during dark days. But the answers will not come from pollsters, pundits, or politicians. We must look to God and his Word. We must humble ourselves and admit that each of us often choose to ignore what God wants us to do.

No doubt this weekend houses of worship across America will be packed.
In a crisis we cry out for a connection with our Creator. This is a deep-seated, universal urge. The first words uttered by millions on Tuesday were “Oh God!” We were made for a relationship with God but he waits for us to choose him. He is ready to comfort, guide, and direct us through our grief. My prayer is that you will attend a house of worship this weekend and reconnect with God. But it’s your choice.

Dr. Rick Warren is founding pastor of America’s second largest congregation, Saddleback Church, in Lake Forest, CA.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: calvin
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401-410 next last
This is posted at the request of Fantasywriter

May God bless this article and use it as a springboard that we all might know Him better!

1 posted on 09/17/2001 12:48:19 PM PDT by RnMomof7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Fantasywriter
bump to you for your article!
2 posted on 09/17/2001 12:49:12 PM PDT by RnMomof7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Fantasywriter
bump to you for your article!
3 posted on 09/17/2001 12:49:26 PM PDT by RnMomof7

To: RnMomof7
Why do WE allow evil?
4 posted on 09/17/2001 12:52:13 PM PDT by AppyPappy

To: Jerry_M,Uriel1975,CCWoody,George W. Bush,the_doc,2sheep
Bump for discussion
5 posted on 09/17/2001 12:52:36 PM PDT by RnMomof7

Isaiah 45 7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
6 posted on 09/17/2001 12:53:17 PM PDT by vmatt

Simple. God allows evil so that people may see that they require his grace, and will return to Him.
7 posted on 09/17/2001 12:56:00 PM PDT by BrainiusMaximus

"God could have eliminated all evil from our world by simply removing our ability to choose it." That's false. That doesn't even get the contours of the problem right. There are all kinds of "bad" things God allows that are not the product of free will gone awry. Examples: natural disasters that kill babies, diseases that kill babies, etc. Moreover, presumably Jesus has free will and Jesus never sins. So it's logically possible for one to have a free will and not sin. And since God can do anything that's logically possible, God could have created us such that we have free will and never sin. Yet God failed to do so.
8 posted on 09/17/2001 12:57:37 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian

To: BrainiusMaximus
The why so much evil? How many had to die in the Holocaust to get the same "payoff" in increased devotion, worship, faith, etc? Are you saying that if some baby gassed by the Nazi's had felt just the least little bit less pain, somehow people wouldn't be quite so devoted to God? So even if that response had the right sort of structure, it would fail to pass any kind of proportionality test.
9 posted on 09/17/2001 12:59:48 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: vmatt
Please note I posted this at the request of another..I have a different opinion that Rick Warren on most things..I will comment on this in a while..but I wanted to let the thread get started
10 posted on 09/17/2001 1:01:31 PM PDT by RnMomof7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: ConsistentLibertarian
Examples: natural disasters that kill babies, diseases that kill babies, etc.

According to The Bible, these are also the result of human sin. When Adam fell the Universe fell with him. If you don't like the notion of sin, think of it rather that Adam broke the Universe. It was clean, now it's dirty. It was straight, now it's twisted. It was right, now it's broken.

We broke creation, and all of creation groans for the completion of the redemption begun at the cross.

Shalom.

11 posted on 09/17/2001 1:02:27 PM PDT by ArGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: ArGee
Then the question just morphs: Why does God blame little babies for something someone else did 10,000 (?) years ago that they had no control over? Same lump. Different swatch of the carpet.
12 posted on 09/17/2001 1:04:47 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

We broke creation, and all of creation groans for the completion of the redemption begun at the cross. Shalom.

FWIW, I believe covetness was the first sin. It is the primary reason for all other sins. The shoe fits.

13 posted on 09/17/2001 1:07:55 PM PDT by VRW Conspirator

PS: or coherent principle of That sort of gambit also faces problems accounting for any plausible principle of fairness, since on your view all babies are equally deserving of the most painful possible death by natural disaster, yet God selects only some to die this way. And since there is no moral basis to select between them, as on your view they are all equally guilty for something they didn't do, God's choice would be morally arbitrary.
14 posted on 09/17/2001 1:08:17 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian

I believe it goes back to the beginning (and we were all there, perhaps as infintesimal atomic matter, but there nonetheless). God told us (our original evolutionary/biblical parents) that we could have a life of obedient Edenistic paradise, if we did not choose knowledge. He also warned us that the other way was death and a life fraught with woe. But we chose knowledge anyway because we were tempted by the one who represents evil that if we chose knowledge we could one day "be like God." So, WE are the ones allowing evil, not God!
15 posted on 09/17/2001 1:11:00 PM PDT by meandog

To: Dr. Rick
Because blue light's short wavelength causes it to get scattered around much, much more by oxygen atoms in the atmosphere than the longer wavelengths of all other colors visible to us. This selective scattering makes the sky appear blue in color.

Oh wait, that’s the answer to the other question.

16 posted on 09/17/2001 1:11:03 PM PDT by dead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

BTW: That's not to deny that people turn to God when bad things like this happen. That would be consistent with the claim that these events give strong evidence that God does not exist, since the first would be a claim about social psychology -- causes of belief formation, and the second would be about _reasons_ for those beliefs. Beliefs might be triggered by events even if the events provide no warrant or justification for the beliefs they trigger.
17 posted on 09/17/2001 1:11:30 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian

To: meandog
Dude, I wasn't there. I didn't eat the apple and I didn't authorize anyone else to eat it for me. So, not my bad.
18 posted on 09/17/2001 1:12:46 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: ConsistentLibertarian
Then the question just morphs: Why does God blame little babies for something someone else did 10,000 (?) years ago that they had no control over? Same lump. Different swatch of the carpet.

Actually I think you misunderstood me. If you had understood me you would have rather asked, "Why does G-d allow little babies to be born into this broken world?"

I'm going to let you into a little secret. G-d is much bigger than I am and I will never understand all of the whys. I focus, instead, on the what. In this case the question is, "What did G-d do about the broken world."

The answer is: He stretched out His arms on the Cross and offered Himself a sacrifice for the sins of the whole world.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.

For G-d so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son to the end that all who believe in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

G-d made the world perfect. G-d made man capable of choosing sin and then put man in the world. Man exercised his choice and sinned, and so broke the world. G-d fixed it at the price of His own life.

"Could it be that [G-d] would really rather die than live without us?" -Michael Card

Shalom.

19 posted on 09/17/2001 1:14:40 PM PDT by ArGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Scary, very, very scary.

According to Warren, God just sits back and lets us bash each other with no hope of His intervention. In other words, evil runs amuck and "heaven help" anyone in its way (except that "heaven" isn't going to "help").

This has to be seen as the logical result of an Arminian theology that grants man a form of "free-will" that not even God possesses.

20 posted on 09/17/2001 1:15:33 PM PDT by Jerry_M

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401-410 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson