Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

200,000 Berliners Gather at Brandenburg Gate in Show of Solidarity With Americans
Associated Press ^ | Sep 14, 2001 | By David Rising Associated Press Writer

Posted on 09/14/2001 12:07:17 PM PDT by mdittmar

BERLIN (AP) - More than 200,000 Berliners gathered before the Brandenburg Gate on Friday in a demonstration of solidarity with Americans, remembered here fondly for rebuilding Germany after World War II and sustaining the city during the Soviet blockade. Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and President Johannes Rau were joined by Washington's new ambassador, Dan Coats, and Cabinet and parliament members in the show of sympathy for Tuesday's attacks on symbols of U.S. economic and military power: the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

"No one knows better than the people here in Berlin what America has done for freedom and democracy in Germany," Rau said. "We would not be standing next to the Brandenburg Gate tonight without America's contributions over long years and in difficult times.

"Therefore we say to all Americans from Berlin: America does not stand alone."

Coats, the new U.S. ambassador, who arrived in Germany just a week ago, thanked Germany's leaders and people for their outpouring of sympathy and pledges of support. Throngs of Germans laid flowers and offered condolences at the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Germany.

"I have seen the depth and sincerity of your sorrow in the tears in your eyes. I have heard it in the trembling of your voices," Coats said. "I have seen that in Germany, now in the last few days, that America could not wish for a more reliable friend."

"America will never forget this," he said.

In Hamburg, German authorities released an airport employee detained in connection with this week's terror attacks, the federal prosecutor's office said Friday.

Federal investigators said Thursday that three suspected terrorists aboard the hijacked planes once lived in Hamburg and were part of an organization formed this year to destroy symbolic U.S. targets.

Evoking Cold War images of the once-divided city in his remarks, Coats said Germans and Americans would once again be called on to display the same courage against a common enemy - "one who is nearly invisible, one who hates our civilization."

"The struggle against this enemy will not be brief. It will not be easy. It will not be painless," he said. "This struggle will demand from all of us courage, patience and fortitude."

"But these are qualities which you in the past half a century have displayed in abundance," the ambassador said. "I am firmly convinced, as we stand shoulder to shoulder once again to defend our common values, to defend our common civilization, we will prevail in this struggle again."

Earlier, Germans across the country joined in three minutes of silence for the victims of Tuesday's attacks. Hundreds stood in front of the U.S. Embassy in Berlin, joined by workers in overlooking office buildings who stood motionless in windows.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/14/2001 12:07:17 PM PDT by mdittmar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: mdittmar
Why can't we Americans ourselves show such unity?
2 posted on 09/14/2001 12:09:48 PM PDT by skeeter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Ich bin ein Amerikanisches.

Thank you, Germany

3 posted on 09/14/2001 12:12:44 PM PDT by SAMWolf

To: All
"The struggle against this enemy will not be brief. It will not be easy. It will not be painless," he said. "This struggle will demand from all of us courage, patience and fortitude."

Worth noting.

4 posted on 09/14/2001 12:13:56 PM PDT by mdittmar

To: skeeter
We are.
5 posted on 09/14/2001 12:16:16 PM PDT by Hugin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Open your eyes, look around...

We're united.

"Why can't we Americans ourselves show such unity?"

6 posted on 09/14/2001 12:17:11 PM PDT by GOPJ

To: SAMWolf
Careful how you use that word "bin" there...
7 posted on 09/14/2001 12:18:47 PM PDT by LurkedLongEnough
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Danke. And since I can't find my German dictionary I can't even add "very much". But the sentiment is there. What a wonderful show of support!
8 posted on 09/14/2001 12:19:31 PM PDT by mewzilla

It's a wonderful thing to have a friend who cares in this hard world. Thank you so much German friends.
9 posted on 09/14/2001 12:21:36 PM PDT by Walkin Man

Why can't we Americans ourselves show such unity?

Because we're mired in the liberal/conservative, Republican/Democrat politics of it. The Germans (and most other nations) only see the tragedy and the pain, as well as the need for retribution. Of course we do too, but we see it through the prism of our politics. Notice the threads complaining about Clinton, Bush, Libertarians, whoever. Unfortunately, we often carry our political baggage into the fight.

10 posted on 09/14/2001 12:24:14 PM PDT by Jim Scott

Tremendous!
11 posted on 09/14/2001 12:41:18 PM PDT by jmp702

Stationed in Berlin for two years in the early 70s, I was moved to tears watching on TV as the Berliners partied at The Wall in 1988. Some guy with a saxophone had climbed right up on top and was wailing away when suddenly I couldn't see so well.

Nice to know they still remember us.

12 posted on 09/14/2001 1:24:05 PM PDT by VadeRetro

Thank you Berliners!!!!!!We truly appreciate you thinking, praying and caring about us.
13 posted on 09/14/2001 1:30:34 PM PDT by CELTICGAEL (Celt) (God Bless America)

To: all
Ich liebe diese Deutscher. (I love those Germans).
14 posted on 09/14/2001 1:34:49 PM PDT by Malcolm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Sixty years ago, we saw Germany and Japan as we see countries like Iraq and Afganistan today. It is encouraging to see that former enemies can be such good allies. Hopefully in 60 years, we will have a similar relationship with the nations we are about to go to war with today.
15 posted on 09/14/2001 1:36:06 PM PDT by SamAdams76

Berlin...Amerika sagt "Vielen Dank".
16 posted on 09/14/2001 1:38:50 PM PDT by RichInOC

Thank you, Deutschland.
17 posted on 09/14/2001 1:41:23 PM PDT by austingirl

I've been roaming Germany media and newspapers sites for pictures of this, so far I couldn't find any. Can you find some, I'd love to see the pics.
18 posted on 09/14/2001 8:02:46 PM PDT by Kermit

To: Kermit
The national tabloid Bild at www.bild.de has probably the best collection of photos from the rally and they have an extensive collection of other photos on the WTC attack. Click on the "Alle Bilder" banner on the right side of the page, which will take you to a page with links to several albums. Click any of them and it'll open a new window with a photo from the album you've clicked, and links to all their albums. "Tag der Trauer" has the rally pictures. Also, on the current front page (as I post this) the main front page link notes that the soccer Bundesliga had a league-wide moment of silence before its games today, and shows the teams from one match forming a circle, hands linked.

BZ, one of the local Berlin tabs, has a picture of the crowd, which was also its front page photo for the day under the headline "200.000 Berliner weinten mit Amerika" ("200,000 Berliners weep with America"). They've made that front available as a PDF.

19 posted on 09/15/2001 12:05:07 PM PDT by RichInOC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson