Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 139
Southern Baptists ending talks with Catholic Church ^ | 3/24/01 | sinkspur

Posted on 09/06/2001 2:23:00 PM PDT by malakhi

The Neverending Story
An ongoing debate on Scripture, Tradition, History and Interpretation.

Threads 1-99

Thread 100 Thread 101 Thread 102 Thread 103 Thread 104 Thread 105 Thread 106 Thread 107
Thread 108 Thread 109 Thread 110 Thread 111 Thread 112 Thread 113 Thread 114 Thread 115
Thread 116 Thread 117 Thread 118 Thread 119 Thread 120 Thread 121 Thread 122 Thread 123
Thread 124 Thread 125 Thread 126 Thread 127 Thread 128 Thread 129 Thread 130 Thread 131
Thread 132 Thread 133 Thread 134 Thread 135 Thread 136 Thread 137

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 138

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-168 next last

1 posted on 09/06/2001 2:23:00 PM PDT by malakhi
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: angelo, allend
angelo, allend

Some translations differ on the translation of that last sentence, although the Hebrew says, "He." The Knox translation has "she." The ancient Jewish writer Philo, arguing from a supposed "rigid law of parallelism," maintained that the pronoun should pair with "woman" rather than with "seed," since the opposition in this member of the verse returned to that of the woman and the serpent.

135 Posted on 09/06/2001 13:45:58 PDT by allend

Ge. 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and
between your offspring [Or seed] and hers; he will crush [Or
strike] your head, and you will strike his heel.”

NIV

B'R 3:15 I will put animosity between you and the woman,
and between your descendant and her descendant;
he will bruise your head and you will bruise his heel

Tanakh

It appears very clear in both of these.

XeniaSt

2 posted on 09/06/2001 2:34:04 PM PDT by Uri’el-2012 (truth@YeshuaHaMashiach)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: angelo
Thanks, angelo I think you beat the request .
3 posted on 09/06/2001 2:49:49 PM PDT by dadwags

Thanks.
4 posted on 09/06/2001 2:52:47 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

To: dadwags JHavard
From Thread 138 #145

Out of the 12 or 15 Epistles,most have agreed there were 7 considered possibly authentic, but there were 7 long versions, and 7 short versions, of those seven, now which are you asking about being forged, the long or the short ones?

Already covered here.

Ignatius Response

The we have JHavard asking if I got the names of the Protestant scholars from an anti Protestant site and my response here.

Protestant Scholars Named Here

He just won't let it go.

5 posted on 09/06/2001 3:30:54 PM PDT by pegleg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: All
Encyclopedia Britannica

Roman Catholicism, History of

As both its critics and its champions would agree, Roman Catholicism has been the decisive spiritual force in the history of Western Civilization. There are more Roman Catholics in the World than there are believers of any other religious tradition—not merely more Roman Catholics than all other Christians combined, but more Roman Catholics than all Muslims or Buddhists or Hindus.

The papacy is the oldest continuing absolute monarchy in the world. To millions the pope is the infallible interpreter of divine revelation and the vicar of Christ, to others he is the fulfillment of the biblical prophecies about the coming of the Antichrist.

[Ed Note: Author musta knew some FREEPERS]

These incontestable statistical and historical facts suggest that some understanding of Roman Catholicism—its history, ins institutional structures, its beliefs and practices, and its place in the world—is an indispensable component of cultural literacy, regardless of how one may answer the ultimate questions of life or death.

[ED NOTE: This explains my huffing and puffing that there are a bunch of literates on this thread]

Without a grasp of what Roman Catholicism stands for, is difficult to make political sense of the settlement of the Germanic tribes in Europe at the end of the Roman Empire, or intellectual sense of Aquinas, or literary sense of the Divine Comedy, or artistic sense of the Gothic cathedrals, or musical sense of many of the compositions of Haydn or Mozart.

At one level, of course, the interpretation of Roman Catholicism is closely related to the interpretation of Christianity as such.

[Ed Note Kill the Church, kill Christianity]

For by its own reading of history, Roman Catholicism began with the very beginnings of the Christian movement. An essential component of the definition of any one of the other branches of Christendom, moreover, is the examination of its relation to Roman Catholicism: how did Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism come into chism? Ect..

Conversely, such questions are essential to the definition of Roman Catholicism itself, even to a definition that adheres to the official view, according to which the Roman Catholic Church has maintained an unbroken continuity since the days of the Apostles, while all other denominations, from the ancient Copts to the latest storefront church, are deviations from it.

[Ed note: Some good forgeries there, eh?]

At least in an inchoate form all the elements of catholicity—doctrine, authority, universality are evident in the New Testament.

[Ed note: some REALLY good forgeries I guess]

[Ed note…That’s all for now]

6 posted on 09/06/2001 4:24:21 PM PDT by ChinaGotTheGoodsOnClinton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: the808bass, Havoc

Anyone up for a little philosophy match?

7 posted on 09/06/2001 5:03:34 PM PDT by D-fendr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

My maternal grandmother's mother was from a prominent Orthodox Jewish family in Boston. She sounds as if she was quite the rebel for her time.

My Jewish grandmother was a nonconformist, too. To paraphrase Steve Martin, "Those wild and crazy Jewish women!" ;-)

8 posted on 09/06/2001 6:23:25 PM PDT by ELS

I couldn't help but throw in a late reply to your first post on thread 138:

"On observation from something said on the last thread:

Isn't it odd that Christians believe in a God who is Jewish?"

It isn't the least bit odd. The Jews are the chosen people---->chosen for what? Chosen by the Creator to be the vehicle for His self-revelation to the world. Despite the ordinariness of the Jews, and their very human shortcomings God had his way, and the universal Christian faith has penetrated almost every society and culture with the news that the God of the Hebrews is the One true and living God, with the moral and ethical imperatives that accompany that truth. While there are many Jews who played a role in this universalization, Jesus of Nazereth and his immediate followers clearly have had the climactic role.

What's amazing is not that the Christians follow a Jewish God (as if He were a tribal possession), but that there exists such a thing as a Christian anti-semite.

9 posted on 09/06/2001 6:43:01 PM PDT by cookcounty

To: angelo, all
All of us are praying for an early sainthood of our mother,´´ she told nuns and volunteers who gathered to offer morning prayer at Mother Teresa´s tomb. ``We feel her absence very much physically. But spiritually she is always with us and guiding us in our work.´´

Cut from the article about an excorsism being done on Mother Teresa before she died. This was said by the nun who took her place.

Two questions. Why would they gather at her tomb for morning prayers? How can she be with anyone and spiritually guiding them?

Becky

10 posted on 09/06/2001 6:45:59 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

To: PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ sigh… ]
11 posted on 09/06/2001 7:01:12 PM PDT by D-fendr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

"All of us are praying for an early sainthood of our mother (Theresa)

She's already a Saint. I've never understood what seems to me the Catholic obsession with Official Sainthood, especially praying to the saints. Mother Theresa is wonderful, but in relative terms, compared with Jesus' compassion, she's a hard-hearted piece of granite.

Why would anyone pray less to God and direct their prayers to the saints instead? I sincerely wonder if God isn't "insulted" by all these indirect prayers.

I mean, it's nice to honor those who have lived exemplary lives of faith, but some of my Catholic friends talk incessantly about St. Anthony or St. Jude or St. Christopher etc., etc., etc, but for Jesus, they have not a word, unless it's as an expletive. This is SO very common that I wonder why the Catholic Church doesn't (at least to my limited knowledge) take corrective action.

12 posted on 09/06/2001 7:02:57 PM PDT by cookcounty

Why would you visit anyone's grave? How can spirit become finite?
13 posted on 09/06/2001 7:03:25 PM PDT by D-fendr

To: D-fendr
In case you miss my intentions, I am not asking the question to be disparaging to Mother Teresa, I believe she was a very good person. It's these things that are being said by other people that I am questioning. Do catholics believe people who are dead can spiritually guide a living person? Would praying at the tomb of a very good person make your morning prayers more special?

Becky

14 posted on 09/06/2001 7:04:59 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: cookcounty
"…it's nice to honor those who have lived exemplary lives of faith…"

Yes it is, and others are often inspired and comforted by their lives and struggles.

15 posted on 09/06/2001 7:06:40 PM PDT by D-fendr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

One of the many things that I liked about Mother Theresa is that she was so Christ-centered in her speech and concerns. She was always talking about Jesus, a characteristic rare among "Christians" and rare among "Catholics."
16 posted on 09/06/2001 7:07:07 PM PDT by cookcounty

how can angels exist? what are demons? can you make a special place in your home to pray; will it help to have it quiet there with a candle burning? does it matter to you whether you pray while angry or while in love? do you ever think of a lost parent or loved one; is a part of them still with you; did who your great-grandfather chose to marry matter in whether you are who you are; are we connected physically, culturually, spiritually?
17 posted on 09/06/2001 7:10:27 PM PDT by D-fendr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

This is SO very common that I wonder why the Catholic Church doesn't (at least to my limited knowledge) take corrective action.

This is exactly what I have been asking here for the last two days about the misunderstanding that surrounds the issue of rather or not catholics worship Mary. Everyone here says they don't, but the actions of the church suggest otherwise. If Mary is not to be worshipped why doesn't the church come out ans say so plainly instead of using words like venerate in the catechism, which is very close to the same thing as worship. It is such a common illuison among people that I would think the church would want to clear it up. Since they don't I can only surmise that worshipping Mary is what they intended to begen with but the people here just don't go along with it.

Becky

18 posted on 09/06/2001 7:12:02 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

What COULD the Catholic Church do to please you?
19 posted on 09/06/2001 7:14:08 PM PDT by D-fendr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Becky, I can't proof text this but some of the "caddie "scholars can prove that the N.T. shows that Christians don't die when their bodies quit . They just move to a different phase of existance ,waiting for the Ressurection . I could go on about purgatory and my personal view of it, but I'll catch that later. I have to quit typing now so i can do some spousal foot-rubbing duties (^_^)
20 posted on 09/06/2001 7:14:59 PM PDT by dadwags (dadwags@flash.net)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-168 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson