Skip to comments.
 John Edwards' Hush Money Was Not Illegal, FEC Told Campaign
Good Mprning America, via Yahoo ^
| May 14, 2012
| JAMES HILL, BETH LOYD and RUSSELL GOLDMAN
Posted on 12/11/2018 8:03:03 AM PST by libstripper
After John Edwards was indicted, Federal Election Commission auditors determined that the hush money he received from wealthy donors to cover up a torrid affair did not need to be reported in the campaign's financial disclosure reports, his campaign's chief financial officer testified today.
After three weeks of salacious testimony about Edwards' affair with mistress Rielle Hunter and the nearly $1 million collected to keep it quiet, Edwards' lawyers kicked off their defense focusing on the much less steamy intricacies of campaign finance law.
After reviewing the campaign's financials for four years, the FEC determined last month that money Edwards' aides collected from wealthy donors Rachel "Bunny" Mellon and Fred Baron were "not campaign contribution[s]," Lora Haggard, Edwards' 2008 chief financial officer, said today
(Excerpt) Read more at yahoo.com ...
TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Government; News/Current Events; Politics/Elections; US: North Carolina
KEYWORDS: contributions; edwards; fec; johnedwards; trump
I'm posting this today because it's so relevant to the present situation. Indeed, it looks like the FEC's long standing position has been that this type of expenditure is personal and non-reportable and another former FEC chairman was prepared to so testify at the Edwards trial. See:
Where the following is reported:
Prosecutors objected several times during Haggard's testimony [that was allowed before the jury], arguing outside the jury's presence that the FEC opinion was "an end run" irrelevant to the Edwards criminal case. They told U.S. District Court Judge Catherine Eagles that the court and jury, not a defense witness, should decide the matter.
They won a victory when Eagles said she would sharply limit upcoming testimony from former FEC Chairman Scott Thomas. With the jury out of the courtroom, Thomas went through his testimony before the judge, saying the money donated by Mellon and Baron did not qualify as campaign contributions.
Eagles ruled that Thomas would not be permitted to repeat the statement in front of the jury.
Its even legal for a democrat to eat a child on the six oclock news and be hailed as a hero
posted on 12/11/2018 8:07:24 AM PST
(..There is no difference between liberals/rinos/moslems/illegals/lamestream media ...)
This is so overblown and distorted it is laughable. First, attempting to quash derogatory disclosures about ones self does not ascribe guilt, period! Secondly, Trump did not use anyone elses contributions or money but his own to make those payments. Third, my understanding is that Trump used his own money for the election so how can this be a violation of election law?
posted on 12/11/2018 8:09:19 AM PST
(Righteousness is our cause and justice will prevail!)
Edwards was a Democrat, different rules for them.
posted on 12/11/2018 8:09:26 AM PST
If there are Obama people in the FEC its position on Trump will the complete opposite. Democrats have no problem with hypocrisy.
posted on 12/11/2018 8:16:46 AM PST
Yes. He used his own money. Off with his head.
When Hillary wrote an $850,000.00 check to Paula Jones and then asked for donations to cover it that was perfectly ok.
Equality before the law.
Lack of equality before the law is what you expect in Slavery and Indentured Servitude, monarchies, and Socialist/fascists states (same thing really).
Equality before the law is supposed to be a principle of liberalism. Which means that democrats ARE NOT REALLY LIBERALS. See the following: 1) IRS targeting conservatives. 2) EPA targeting conservatives 3) FISA courts used to spy on political campaigns. 4) Calls by Democrats to impeach Trump for ‘campaign finance of hush money’.
Lets just say that it hypocrisy doesn’t get more obvious that that.
Illegality is not the issue with Smarmy Daniels, nor is removal from office.
Smarmy is for 2020 politics. Dems got nothing else.
Laws/rules do not apply to lwftist.
That is the real news.
posted on 12/11/2018 9:19:49 AM PST
(we need a Trump like leader for President 2024!)
Even being Rich, Edwards used money from his Campaign, other People’s money of course.
Remember when he did a little Financial Hocus Pocus to avoid paying his Medicare Taxes? I do.
posted on 12/11/2018 9:21:02 AM PST
by Kickass Conservative
(Democracy, two Wolves and one Sheep deciding what's for Dinner.)
"Edwards' affair with mistress Rielle Hunter and the nearly $1 million collected to keep it quiet
Wow. Didn't Trump allegedly pay around $280k for TWO flings? Edwards paid nearly 5 times more for 1/2.
Guess Trump really is great at getting deals done.
posted on 12/11/2018 9:21:12 AM PST
(HOW CAN A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN'S STATUS BE "GOVERNED" BY GREAT BRITAIN? - Leo Donofrio (2009))
To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Arthur Wildfire! March; Berosus; Bockscar; cardinal4; ColdOne; ...
- #Limpeachment -- Incredibly LAME Charges from Democrats
- One Indisputable Takeaway From Comey Performance: Thank God Trump Won
- How many more statist partisans like James Comey are at the FBI and Justice Department?
- Black Caucus huddles as talk of term limits heats up (Pelosi's white privilege)
- Stormy in a teacup -- campaign finance case against Trump is laughably weak...
- James Comey Denies Knowing Clinton Law Firm Helped with 'Pee' Dossier: 'I Don't Remember the Name...
- John Podesta Is Ready to Talk About Pizzagate
- How to Guarantee Trump isn't Indicted
- Comey: Democrats Have To Win (Or A Bunch Of Us Go To Jail?)
- Clinton-Lynch Tarmac Meeting 'Bothered' Comey -- Just Not Enough To Ask Hillary About It
- Trump Paid Stormy Himself. Congress Paid Its Victims $17 Million out of Treasury. Who're the Real...
- Adam Schiff: 'Very Real Prospect' Donald Trump Faces 'Jail Time'
- Rashida Tlaib Misrepresented Soros Stipend in Financial Disclosures
- Congress' Use of Sex Hush Fund Violates Campaign Finance Law & is Embezzlement of Taxpayer Funds
- Trump's New Attorney General: The Clintons 'Should Be Investigated'
- Comey Lied
- Mueller's Flynn Sentencing Memo Is Another Dud for the Resistance
- Comey says there's 'obviously' evidence Trump obstructed justice in 2017 talk about Flynn
- John Brennan Smoked In One Tweet After Sending Nasty Message Threatening Trump
- Mark Levin: Comey is a full throated lunatic
- Report: Comey's Brother Works for the Law Firm That Handles Clinton Foundation's Taxes (FLASHBACK)
- Perjurer Comey Lied About Flynn, FISA, Long-standing Lucrative Mueller Friendship
- Mueller Investigation: Trump Likely to Be Indicted, But Will He Be Impeached?
- Vanity! What Do You Think Is The Deep State and Liberal/Media's End Game?
- America, the Deep State is coming after our president: What are we going to do about it?
- Trump calls Michael Cohen payouts 'private transaction,' denies campaign contributions (trunc.)
- "Democrats can't find a Smocking Gun tying the Trump campaign to Russia
- Feminist Steinem and the Lewinskied Clinton -- Circa 1998 (lefty looney tune)
- Trump to demand Congress release sexual harassment payment info if he is charged.(Vanity)
- Get Ready for the Coming Impeachment of Donald J. Trump
- Roger Stone associate Jerome Corsi sues Mueller, Justice, CIA, FBI, NSA for $350 million
- Trump campaign finance violation would 'certainly' be impeachable offense, top Dem says
- Comey calls on Americans to 'use every breath we have' to oust Trump in 2020
- Why has Mueller ignored Obama administration crimes?
- Corsi sues Mueller over alleged grand jury leaks, seeks $350M in damages: report
- Key Takeaways From James Comey's Testimony Before Congress
- Comey: Trump 'certainly close' to being unindicted co-conspirator
- Comey transcript: Bureau brass called Clinton interview 'unusual,' email use 'appalling'
- Comey: FBI Probe Initially Focused On Four Americans
- Congress in no rush to hold themselves accountable for sexual harassment payments
- The Many Things that Democrats want to Ban (Running List) - Metallicman
- Brennan says Trump's claims of no collusion with Russia are 'hogwash' (Flashback!!)
- Comey's confession: dossier not verified before, or after, FISA warrant
- 'Collusion-gate', The Turkey Is Coming Out Of The Oven!
- Prosecutors' Narrative Is Clear: Trump Defrauded Voters. But What Does It Mean?
- Schiff: Trump may face 'real prospect of jail time'
posted on 12/11/2018 10:43:11 AM PST
(and btw -- https://www.gofundme.com/for-rotator-cuff-repair-surgery)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson