Skip to comments.Allergic Teen Dies After Eating Cookie
Posted on 03/15/2013 9:32:28 AM PDT by bgill
Robin Fitzpatrick never knew peanuts could kill her son... The Plymouth, Mass., native was first diagnosed with a nut allergy when he was 8, after projectile-vomiting "across the room" at a Chinese restaurant, his mother said. In high school he suffered from a serious allergic reaction after he dropped his asthma inhaler into a pile of acorns... his mom couldn't find his Epi-Pen -- an epinephrine autoinjector. She had one in her cupboard but it had expired two months earlier. First responders told her over the phone that she shouldn't use it.
(Excerpt) Read more at gma.yahoo.com ...
One other thought. The Mom should have had the medication in proper form as so should he have the medication on his person!
People with Life Alert Bracelets and Necklaces never go anywhere with out them.
What people do not understand here is that if the EMT woman said to take the med and it was out of date and something bad happened because of the out of date med, she would be liable, lose her job and be sued.
But since she followed best practices and said not to take the medication she is covered. Doesnt matter whether the patient dies or not, she followed procedure. That is why no firemen saved drowning man last year, they were not certified for water, they cannot help or if they do and something goes wrong they lose their jobs. The death does not matter.
This is a regulatory crazy world.
This is where our suit happy legal system has taken us.
Let’s hope that city decided to certify their firemen for water. I guess 2 life preservers and a rope are too much weight for a 150,000 dollar fire engine!
Very interesting story. Sorry about the rheumatoid arthritis. I am 64 and rheumatoid arthritis is starting up, I think, and just adds to my long list of issues.
Getting old isn’t for sissies. ;>)
I dont think it matters whether they had the equipment, it mattered whether they were certified.
It’s called stupidity like guy that was arrested for spraying water on his house to keep it from burning down seems the cops got there but no Fire Engine. The flames were jumping from the neighbors house to his and he was just trying to keep it contained!
The Cops deemed his life was at risk and arrested him. And the housed burned down.
Cops cannot fight fires.
The pain in my hand didn’t improve with ibuprofen, but hot water helped immediately. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative
Yes, every day on this side of the dirt is a win. ;>)
My wife made a couple cloth bags filled with grains of rice. I put it in the microwave for a few seconds and place it where it hurts... it helps me with pain.... mostly with muscle cramps.
As if one of the firemen couldn’t have said to sign him out for the day, strip out of his uniform and jump in the water as a private citizen. Of course, someone would still have sued him but he wouldn’t have to live the rest of his life knowing he picked lint from his belly button while someone died.
The opening line is a lie. She was well acquainted with his allergies after repeated, listed incidents and knew to have a epi-pen. She had the knowledge, clearly, though perhaps she chose never to believe it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.