Skip to comments.OBAMA'S 23 EXECUTIVE ACTIONS ON GUNS
Posted on 01/16/2013 9:16:55 AM PST by JesseWatters
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...
Also, he says he wants to maximize enforcement in order to prevent gun violence.
Which is it? Enforcement or prevention? Two different things. Is he going to announce the hiring of Superman to prevent crime? Or maybe Batman and The Boy Wonder?
Or is he going to create a new Agency called the Bureau of Pre-Crime? The ersatz Thought Police? Very ambiguous and thereby, dangerous.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
Why would a private seller have to use an FFL holder?
Here's my take:
1) The ATF will announce that gun-show organizers are considered to be firearms dealers and all firearms sold at gun shows must have a background check performed.
2) The ATF will announce that all sales of firearms are considered transactions covered by the Gun Control Act.
See? A wave of the magic administrative wand and no more "gun show loophole" and no more private sales of firearms.
We need several states to make it clear that Federal officials trying to enforce any bullcrap like this will be arrested and will be prosecuted and will not be released based on any order of a Federal court.
Yep. Under the leadership of John Boehner.
Yeah, we’re pretty much screwed.
Obama has bigger fish to fry. He is choosing to pick his fights carefully. This one on gun control is pretty low down on his totem pole as compared to other issues such as immigration in order to preserve the latino vote for the Dems next election; and the debt ceiling and sequestration issues are coming up in the next two months. Obama isn’t going to expend too much capital on this issue. He’s focusing on much bigger battles.
Obama knows if he steps too far into the gun issue, he’ll lose a lot of gun toting Dems as well as Pubs over this. He also knows that if he steps too far it would be the last straw that broke the camel’s back and there would be cries for impeachment by the Pubs, or it would get immediately tossed into the courts where he might very well lose, and he would get no compromise from and would lose the Pub controlled House bigtime on all future issues. He has too much to lose here and not enough to gain. I could see Obama taking another stab at this issue more towards the end of his term of office possibly, but not now.
Frankly, they have no idea what to do about head cases or street thugs ~ if they started locking up those folks and taking away their access to firearms they wouldn't have anybody left who could attend White House barbeques!
I do keep a paint ball gun in my trunk :). By their definition, it sounds like an ‘assault weapon’
Yep. This looks like the BATF will have complete access to everyone's medical records which under Obamacare are all digitized and kept in a federal database. Thus, if you want to keep your guns you better not seek medical help if you think you may have depression any other mental issues or if you think you may have a substance abuse problem. If the Doc asks about guns in the house just say "no". Refusing to answer or asking what that has to do with anything will just get you in the database as "refused to answer" and will be considered the same as "gunowner" to the Feds.
Authoritarianism. Obama and his kids are more important than yours. His family and power group will have security. There is a class system. Your kids are not as important. State comes 1st.
your individual rights are not what matters...America becomes like rest of world.
Was he still huffin' and puffin' with the Choom Gang back then?
0bama will enact a snitch program and offer a bounty that will encourage your neighbors and liberal relatives to turn you in.
Umm...the answer is always 'no'. Or, if you must, invoke the 5th amendment...while you can.
#5. Sieze guns now. Try to justify it later. I can lose my gun for no good reason but still have to beg to get it back.
He may me required to ask. We can refuse to answer, or lie our butts off, depending on individual preference.
The only medical issue is lead poisoning. If you shoot alot, reload, cast.. You can be at risk.
Whatever happened to the “right to privacy” - Griswold v. Connecticut
This gets his foot in the door, its not over for sure.
>> Which is it? Enforcement or prevention?
When I read between the lines on this one, I come away thinking the purpose is to come down HARD not on gun owners but on gun *dealers*.
How many dealers do you think have a perfectly clean accounting of inventory vs. 4473s? Are they in need of stepped-up “enforcement” of existing rules to “prevent” guns getting into the wrong hands?
Make ‘em miserable, drive a lot of the smaller ones with less stamina out of the business.
That leaves fewer, bigger ones (WalMart, Cabela’s, Big Five, etc.) — and those are much easier to pressure.
Just a thought...perhaps the Molon Labe sticker plastered of the Commie in Chief Cruiser and people showing up at the door of his Gun Smuggling AG rattled his cage? You have to remember he is a tin horn dictator. He never expected to get the resistance he has recieved. Best Gun Seller in the History of the World! And his kids get to see him called a "Elitist Hypocrite".
See EO #16.
but the rest seems like Obama bailed.
On second thought, I think I’m going to be sick.
I am wondering if this will be come to know "ask and don't tell."
I suspect that he counted votes and figured he had danced so far out on the plank that he had to do something and this is the best he could do at saving face.
I do agree that the HIPPA stuff could be a really backdoor way of identifying gun owners and putting them on special lists and asking them questions that if answered wrong could allow them to be labeled as mentally unfit to own firearms. A slippery slope.
One point everyone needs to consider on both Obamcare and any executive order - any. Obama is president for only so long. The day he leaves office is the day every single EO can be eliminated. In addition, Obama will be a very lame duck in about two years and NOTHING of his will pass after the 2014 elections.
Personally, I prefer "ubiquitous".
“School resource officers”? My guess is obama views that as more school staff (and money to NEA) not police officers.
and failure to answer the dr’s gun question what’s going to happen????
Here is the list with my comments added
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. (Umm arent they already supposed to do this?)
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. (OOPS we forgot to read the bill and see if it contained anything protecting gun rights before we passed it silly Liberals)
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. (Which will summarily be ignored by most states)
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. (Categories like CHRISTIAN, REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE, AMERICAN you know crazy people)
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. (Which will be summarily ignored by all dealer or am I repeating myself again. )
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. (Yes, lets train those gun owners and ignore the criminals!! Thatll work!)
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. (Well yes, it is usually smart to release reports if you want people to see them! But, do we really need an executive order to do this?)
11. Nominate an ATF director. (So now the President needs to issue an executive order to make himself do his own frigging job???)
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. (WHAT AN EPIPHANY!!! Lets get doctors to research something that is supposed to be the job of LAW ENFORCEMENT!)
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. (Another report, and another challenge!!! And we need an executive order to do this?)
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. (which patients will summarily ignore and tell their doctors where to stick their questions. I will also tell my doctor to kiss my backside as I walk out never to return.)
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. (OOOO another letter and probably very sternly worded too!!!!)
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. (ummmm, maybe HIRING SECURITY GUARDS WITH ACTUAL FIREARMS would be a better idea.)
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. (And yet ANOTHER sternly worded letter!! What brilliance!)
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. (wow another stroke of brilliance, lets actually FINALIZE regulations before we issue them!)
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. (wow another stroke of brilliance, lets actually FINALIZE regulations before we issue them! Or am I repeating myself again)
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health. (ooo a National Dialogue! Thatll scare those evil criminals!!!)
If the doctor asks me if I have any guns, I will give an honest answer by shaking my head, which, as everyone knows, means “yes” in Botswana.
Let me preface my post :
I want NO MORE laws infringing on our rights; use what we have -on the books already- to protect, and REPEAL the ones that infringe.
Reference to pierrem15’s post:
pierrem15 wrote :
“1) The ATF will announce that gun-show organizers are considered to be firearms dealers and all firearms sold at gun shows must have a background check performed.
2) The ATF will announce that all sales of firearms are considered transactions covered by the Gun Control Act.”
My questions to all,
1) under what authority (ESTABLISHED LAW) could this be done?
2) What CURRENT things can a private seller use to ensure they aren’t selling to a nutcase or felon that come under the CURRENT categories of prohibited possessors.
..nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;..
Even if only for a day (which many places will drag feet for months or years if given the option) then this provision is prima facia un-constitutional
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
problem is that the law does say
LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS- No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to`(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or`(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition
So he wants to say doctors CAN ask (and they can) and imply that we must answer (we don't) BLACK letter law.
It could go further as well. There are many commonly prescribed non narcotic medications for long term pain treatment that list possible side effects such as “could cause psychotic episodes”. Many people that take these medications don’t even realize this possible side effect. Will people on medications such as these also be flagged as disqualified from gun ownership?
Just as with abortion, what we say and what we do are not necessarily the same thing.
How 'rare' did they make abortion?
Sounds like a lot of bluster. You know,like something Biden would put together.
Looks like Bammy does not want to get impeached...yet.
Now we have to make Congress understand, especially the Pubs in the House: NO MORE GUN LEGISLATION.
If anything, we should go on the offensive and demand changes /repeal to the NFA 1934 and The GCA 1968.
Two can play the brinkmanship game.
Step 1: meet with your lawyer and set up a gun trust (either title 1 or title 2 NFA)
2: put all of your firearms on a schedule A or B within the trust.
3: When doc or any agent of the state ask if you own guns, legally and ethically you can say, "My wife and I do not personally own firearms". ( because the property is a trust asset)
OK, now you have me worried. That statement means we must have missed something. Gotta go back for another look.
You aren’t alone.
So let’s review, Obamacare is being used to override the 2nd Amendment. Sure, that makes sense.
Glad he isn’t interfering in the relationship between patient and doctor. /s
Once they go through the medical records with the doctor's help, they can learn if a patient/ the citizen is on any medications. Have the doctor (government doctor coming soon to replaced by the ones who will be leaving by the hundreds of thousands), (can't you see the goal) to put in your report, that you are unstable. People are foolish to think this was a BS show. He means to wipe away our rights and centralize his government. This is very dangerous. The liberty loving people up in Washington need to come together to begin impeachment. Every clear thinker on radio should be calling for this due to his abuse of power. It's here; it's time. Write/fax and call all of your representatives. This is nothing more than a centralized government/his steps to take away our rights.
Most of the media are of hate (what do you call someone that deliberately plans and plots agianst their fellow human beings) to ignorant and of being corrupt. They are doing to the law abiding Americans what they did to the patriotic Tea Party Americans. They need to shut us down from having any decent or of power. We are in their way for full dictatorial rule. If the republicans cave on any of these for political worth, the nation will be in total chaos. Obama is abusing his power. Where are the people in the media?
Don't lie - turn the conversation to him. “How do you feel about asking that question, does that bother you?” Now, he has to speak to that instead of staying on whether you have a gun. If he goes back to again ask you if you have guns, say something like, “That doesn't apply to my medical condition and I think the government shouldn't ask that of anyone. Do you agree?” After he answers that, say something like, “Let's get back to why I came here today - what are we going to do about my bad knee (whatever made you go to the doctor). Practice asking him questions instead of lying about your guns.
Or you could use the direct approach: Do you have any guns? You say, “I can't tell you or I'd have to kill you.” What about my enlarged prostate? (Whatever made you go to doctor). The doc would suspect you have guns, but he wouldn't know for sure.
Serious question, do you think? It is what I think. Well, I well tell you what I think.
I think he binges. Goes all out periodically. Then abstains and does RX medication (like Kevin on Hillbuzz reports).
The first debate is what really, really peaked my radar. His missing hours, showing up at weird places and complete lack of discipline, his appearance.
When I had cataract surgery last year, the surgery center gave me a form to fill out. My friend, who is vice-chair of the state Texas Republican Party, was with me. The last series of questions was about my private life. I showed the questions to my friend, and she was appalled anyone would be asked those questions. So, now, she knows that is happening and it's good for a party official to know.
There were many personal questions, among them, “Are you being abused at home by your husband or family?” “Do you wish to talk to a counselor?” “Is anyone keeping you from leaving your house?”
The questions went on and on, prying into your life. There was not a gun question on there. I left all the questions blank. Took the form back to the window, said, “I'm not answering the personal questions because you shouldn't have asked.” Woman said, “That's okay.”
Think it means more counselors and school psychologists.
Sometimes it's just a guy who fills out forms.
I wonder if we could just take the Fifth on any questions?
To answer your question, there is no legal authority for Obama to classify gun show organizers as gun dealers, but when has Obama worried about what's actually legal?
Any such attempt would have a sufficient plausibility to the low-information public (who, like journalists and politicians don't know the difference between an automatic, semi-automatic and select-fire weapon) so as to be cheered on by the official palace butt kissers known as the white house press corps.
What we're witnessing is full blown demagoguery of the worst type, trampling the law and the Constitution with the assistance of a sycophantic press.
More or less what he did with the 300K+ illegals who are now getting work permits and drivers licenses because they were brought here as children. There's no legal authority for that, either.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.