Skip to comments.Did You Know that the Mormon Religion Was Partly Inspired By Islam?
Posted on 07/31/2012 10:07:05 AM PDT by pinochet
I recently acquired a paper back version of the late Christopher Hitchen's pro-atheist book "God is not Great", printed in 1998 by Hatchette Book Group USA. I do not agree with Hitchen's atheist views, but he has some useful information on the different religions of the world. On page 190-191, Hitchens mentions that the Mormon Prophet, Joseph Smith, saw Prophet Muhammad of Islam as his hero and role model. Smith is quoted as saying: "I shall be to this generation a new Muhammad". He is also quoted as saying "Either the Al-Koran or the Sword".
Of course, the Mormons of today are significantly different from Muslims. Mormons permit us to make fun of their holy prophet, without threatening to cut our heads off. If I decided to burn the book of Mormon, no Mormon Bishop will issue a fatwa, and declare jihad on me.
Perhaps the problem with Islam is not with the religion, but the fact that Arabs were a backward barbarian culture before and after they became Muslims. Arabs were a violent and war-like people before they became Muslims, and they killed each other off in large numbers. That makes them similar to war-like tribes like the Apache Indians of America, and the Vikings of Northern Europe. Islam simply became an excuse for Arabs to wage war on non-Arabs. America should focus more on trying to civilize Arab culture, rather than get rid of Islam.
(Just Click on any # of links below to see otherwise...or some of Greyfoxx' links @ post #25]
The only connection with Islam is that when Joseph Smith first became famous, some American newspapermen (remember when we had those?) often called him The New Mohammet. Any other similarities are really superfluous. [DesScorp, Post #23]
Wrong. The links below PROVE you wrong.
The two religions are in no way linked. Your post is absolute bunk and anti-Mormon propaganda. [AlmaKing, Post #9]
Wrong. See Links below. Your post is pure pro-Romney propaganda -- minus ANY seeming review of the overwhelming evidence.
As for those questioning the source (posts #10 & #13) -- Nifster & Jessduntno -- we don't need to rely upon that...just click on all the links listed below!!!!
* Mormonism: What the Latter Day Saints think of Islam [Indicator of how Mitt perceives Islam?] [Pakistan Independent]
* Mitt Romney: "Islam is not an inherently violent faith" [My Note: With this kind of lack of Romney foreign policy discernment, expect MORE Romney foreign policy boo-boos like his comments in the UK @ Olympics]
* Islamic And Mormonism Similarities: Similarities Between Joseph Smith and Muhammad (Written by Brother Andrew, a pioneer missionary leader to typically "closed" countries re: the gospel)
* Islamic And Mormonism Similarities (Same content posted a year later on FR)
* Common Threads between Islam and Mormonism (posted by Freeper poster Kaslin and written by one with an Egyptian heritage)
* Common Threads between Islam and Mormonism (same thread as above -- posted by another FREEPER)
* Mormons and Muslims? How do you all see each other? [Written @ BYU source]
* A Latter-day Saint Perspective on Muhammad Mormon-(OPEN) [Written by a BYU prof and posted in official Lds church publication]
* Thoughts on Islam, in Mormons and Muslims: Spiritual Foundations and Modern Manifestations
* Muslims and Latter-day Saints Mormon (OPEN) [article from a recognized Lds site]
* Bridges of faith between Mormons and Muslims
* (LDS)L.D.S. perspective on Islam (this is an earlier -- 2005 --FR thread citing a BYU prof who's been deemed a "leader" among Lds apologists)
* Mormons, Muslims break the fast in Southern California (Mormon "interfaith outreach)
* Muslims and Mormons share worship space in St Charles
* A Message of Friendship: Muslims and Latter-Day Saints [from a recognized Lds apologetics Web site]
* BYU Hawaiis First Non-Mormon Student President Credits Mormons for Making Him a Better Muslim
* Muslims attending BYU focus on similarities between Islam, LDS tenets
* Mormons, Muslims get along by creating books, not destroying them [LDS OPEN]
* Major Islamic art exhibit being installed at BYU [Utah Mormon University]
* 'Beauty and Belief' - Acclaimed Islamic art exhibit at BYU [Mormon]
* Latter-day Saint Perspective on Muhammad (LDS/Muslim Caucus) (This was posted by a Mormon and was written by a BYU prof)
That last statement sounds like pure relativistic post-modernism...(I hope you didn't pay for that campus worldview)
Ya know, there's a HUGE diff 'tween someone claiming they offer (vs. are themselves) the "true salvation"
You might have a lot of non-denom churches pronouncing the former
-- that they OFFER true salvation...
...and are NOT the lone church on the face of the earth offering such salvation...
-- but it was Mitt Romney's father's cousin -- Marion Romney -- one of THE top three Lds hierarchists in the Lds church in the 60s...who claimed the latter. Don't believe me? Here, look:
"This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life" (Conference Report, April, 1961, p. 119)]
(Marion Romney even substituted the Mormon church in place of Jesus Christ, who claimed -- per the Bible (John 14:6) to be the only way...!!!)
Also...per Lds "Doctrine & Covenants" 1:30...it's the Mormons who claim to be the "only true and living church on the face of the earth."
There...I cited an "address" for that...Can you cite EVEN ONE "strip mall church" that claims to be the "only true and living church on the face of the earth?"
I won't hold my breath for you to back up your straw man claim...and me -- not belonging to any "strip mall church" -- has nothing to gain by defending them!
Please be so kind as to remove me from your ping list.
I have no interest in anything you have to say.
Please be so kind so as to not respond to my pings unless you have an real opinion to offer
My scroll button doesn’t scroll fast enough for me to get through the screed that you copy and paste over and over and over again.
I asked you once to not contact me.
Now I am asking you again.
Whose ass do I have to kiss to get on your “ignore” list?
I get offended when people try to pretend that the Mormon cult is Christian. It isn’t.
And your point is?
Great find. Thanks.
I’ve been exposed to many doctrines, but did not clearly see the parallels with Islam, although I have heard it suggested in the past. These clear points of comparison are definitive. The last point, the pride of these false prophets proclaiming superiority to Jesus Christ, is the most powerful point. It demonstrates that Mormonism is a cult, centered around a sinful man, not the man Christ Jesus.
Both “religions” favor “plural wives, “ but Mormons in this country have to keep that part of their lives in the closet now. And, most of them do.
Lol! Yes, I think that sums up Joey Smith!
Sadly, unless a meteorite strikes before the convention, though, I think the GOP-e will have gotten their way.
Sorry, but you're off-base here. I've never posted the content or links that I posted in post #62. 'Twas an entirely fresh post. Now that you're mistaken...what more can you post to try to regain a sense of credibility -- now that you've shown that you lack basic discernment on anything you might have to say?
I asked you once to not contact me. Now I am asking you again.
I asked you in post #65 to please not to respond to my pings unless you have a real opinion to offer. (You still haven't offered any real opinions.)
Before someone misunderstands, left me forestall any criticism by quoting the full verse:
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. (1 Timothy 2:5,6)
We only need one mediator, God manifest in the flesh (1 Timothy 3:16), not any other and especially not this antichrist Josepth Smith.
I am asking you now for the third time to stop.
Are you slow minded?
(I am asking for the third time now to please stop responding to my pings unless you have a real opinion to offer)
(We have met the enemy, and he is among us)
Please add me to your Mormonism ping lst.
There are three identifiable factions in our era: the new world order fascist/banker group, the new world order communist group, and the new world order religious murderer group.
The father of Islam and MormonISM is the same liar, a murderer from the start.
At the time Mohammed began Islam, many Arabs had become followers of Jesus. He and his followers killed and/or forcibly “converted” Arabic Christians. It’s Islam, not Arabs in particular. Of course he and his followers also killed or forcibly “converted” millions of Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, animists, etc.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.