Skip to comments.Minority Voting Rights Under Threat From ID Laws, Attorney General Warns
Posted on 05/30/2012 10:25:16 PM PDT by Steelfish
Minority Voting Rights Under Threat From ID Laws, Attorney General Warns
State legislation drafted ostensibly to prevent voter fraud could prevent thousands of African Americans from voting this year
30 May 2012
US attorney general Eric Holder addresses the Congressional Black Caucus Faith Leaders Summit and National Black Churches Annual Consultation in Washington. Photograph: Chip Somodevilla/Getty The US attorney general, Eric Holder, has warned that gains of the civil rights struggle hang in the balance in the face of a determined effort by many states to roll back laws ensuring the right to vote.
Holder told a Washington conference on Wednesday that there is a "growing need to protect the voting rights of every eligible citizen" amid a flurry of legislation and executive orders in US states ostensibly to prevent election fraud with measures such as requiring proof of identity in order to vote.
The meeting was told the laws are intended to prevent African Americans in particular from voting because because nearly one in four black people lack photo identification.
A Congressman from North Carolina, GK Butterfield, said that if new requirements for voter identification and proof of citizenship in many states, and restrictions on groups mobilising people to vote, had been in place four years ago they would have been likely to cost Barack Obama the presidency.
Holder said that in the past two years the justice department has challenged "two dozen state laws and executive orders from more than a dozen states that could make it significantly harder for many eligible voters to cast ballots in 2012".
"Despite our nation's long history of extending voting rights to non-property owners and to women, to people of colour, to Native Americans, and to younger Americans, today .....
(Excerpt) Read more at guardian.co.uk ...
Why yes, if people had only voted where they were supposed to, Obama might have fared worse in 2008!
This is like a combination of the boy who cried wolf and the girl who murdered her parents then threw herself on the mercy of the court as an orphan. Why is America too paralyzed to laugh it off? Holder (and Obama) should have been undergoing impeachment long before this.
If obtaining a picture ID is really that difficult for Blacks, then I guess we shouldn’t require them to have a driver’s license to drive either.
Thank you. IMMENSELY!
Thieves prevented from stealing elections!
Open Theft Hampered by Identification.
Al Qiada Voters Under Threat!
Holder Upholds Voting Rights for Lawless, Foreigners & Terrorists.
“laws are intended to prevent African Americans in particular from voting because because nearly one in four black people lack photo identification.”
Then might I suggest they go downtown and get them one. Fraud prevention is what he’s worried about.
Not ostensibly, actually. If anyone is prevented from voting, let it be the non-citizens who are not registered to vote. That's the whole idea, period. Don't go bringing race into an issue where race has no part. Oh, wait, Holder is a liberal, the race card is just about all they have.
...in the face of a determined effort by many states to roll back laws ensuring the right to vote.
Once again wrong. I would say I'm surprised, but it is Holder after all. Not intended to take away the right to vote at all. In fact, intended to strengthen it by not letting your vote be diluted by a bunch of votes from people who are not legally registered to vote.
...ostensibly to prevent election fraud with measures such as requiring proof of identity in order to vote.
The author looked up "ostensibly" in the dictionary and it is now his new favorite word? Why is requiring ID at a polling place such a big deal? We have to produce ID to drive, use a credit card, write a check, and in sooo many other places. Big whoop.
...The meeting was told the laws are intended to prevent African Americans in particular from voting because because nearly one in four black people lack photo identification.
Wrong yet again. It has nothing to do with race. I was 100% behind voter ID laws before I knew they would disproportionately affect any one group. That's too bad, but people that want to vote (and do a lot of other things) need photo ID, end of story. Hey, I shouldn't have to prove anything to exercise my right to keep and bear arms either. But I am jumping through the red-tape hoops to get a concealed carry permit. Also I'm a little suspicious of the "nearly" one in four claim. Based on what statistics, how were they collected if these people have no ID? Also, to a MSM journalist "nearly one in four" can mean anything from 1% to 24.999%. Let's have an exact number.
If the bleeding hearts wanted to help, they could easily do that. The numbers of provably legitimate voters who lack a picture ID isn’t exactly huge, well under 1% of the total. Send a few of those vote buses in to pick them up and take them during slow periods to the DMV, which is required to issue non drivers IDs for free for voting purposes. No, they won’t help. Instead they will bellyache about supposed principle most of them knowing jolly well what kind of mischief is going on.
You got to show ID to play state lottery in many places. And to buy liquor in others.
These blithers should be challenged. What did they do, walk up to some person lazing on their porch and ask that person for an ID, then when none was presented they crowed they had found a voter without one?
I thought that's what community organizers were for?
Actually they are not but this is the angle that these assclowns are going to play up because they know the media will lap it up and carry their water for them..........
Holder knows that Skynet is behind Voter ID Laws.
Except, on this issue, it’s not gonna fly. People with a scant of common sense would agree that showing pictured ID to vote is, well, common sense. I believe the polls show that general voters don’t see this as civil rights issue that Holder and his people would like them to see.
more than likely if they try to get an id their outstanding warrants would be picked up and arrested.
...this man is running your country.
Maybe we should use finger prints Holders crowd have those don’t they?
Yes, proving that you’re a living, breathing American citizen is certainly troubling to the Democrats - who rely so heavily on the votes of the dead and of illegals... and MULTIPLE votes by everyone else.
ID is require to fly, and I assume it is require to obtain Federal assistance? Voting is such an important key to our Government, it should held to the highest of standards.
I sat around and thought about this odd ID statement that folks make. So I made up a list of why you had to have an ID:
1. Buying booze.
2. Buying smokes.
3. Getting through a TSA line at the airport with a airline ticket.
4. Getting anything accomplished at the Social Security Administration office.
5. Cashing a check.
6. Opening an account with a bank or credit union.
7. Joining the US military.
8. Getting narcotic drugs at the pharmacy.
9. Getting a business license.
10. Buying over-the-counter medications with various items noted by the state as dangerous.
11. Registering your car.
12. Buying a property, a house, a trailer, or modular home in any of the fifty states.
13. Getting a building permit to build a house, or structure on your private property.
14. Registering at any city hall for a rally, protest or parade.
15. Jury duty.
16. Getting stopped by a cop for any offense, to include jay-walking, mooning people, or disturbing the peace.
17. Buying a pistol or rifle in any of the fifty states.
18. Transferring a pistol or rifle to anyone else in any of the fifty states.
19. Being accepted for a US government job and in-processing on day one.
20. Buying a cellphone with any plan.
21. Getting a marriage license.
22. Getting a divorce.
23. Getting an annulment.
24. Registering at college.
25. Renting a car at any airport.
26. Crossing the border to enter Mexico or Canada.
27. Applying for welfare or food stamps.
28. Bringing items back to a store for a refund.
29. Getting a post office box.
30. Accepting registered mail.
31. Getting a hunting license.
31 other things that you’d associate with life in a democracy, not requiring a photo ID:
1. Getting some Chinese lady to hem up the special pants you bought on sale.
2. Buying peanuts or pop-tarts.
3. Buying fireworks (even at age 5)
4. Hiring a trampy New Orleans hooker for six minutes.
5. Walking into a NCAA football game between Texas Tech and Alabama.
6. Buying itch ointment.
7. Buying flea powder for your dog.
8. Entering the Grand Canyon Park.
9. Buying imitation leather boots at Joe-Paul’s boot shop.
10. Buying a Heart musical CD at Wal-Mart.
11. Hiring a Latino guy to rebuild your roof, paint your fence, or dig up your septic tank.
12. Riding a Greyhound bus from Memphis to Kansas City.
13. Buying moon-pies and Dr Pepper at the corner gas station.
14. Attending church.
15. Get a tattoo.
17. Get your muffler replaced.
18. Get a $12 haircut.
19. Buy a WW II Japanese sword at the flea market.
20. Get your shoes shined.
21. Buy a cow from your neighbor.
22. Buy Vicks Formula 44 in XXL packages.
23. Have your dog neutered.
24. Buy illegal drugs on any street corner in America.
25. Watch a G-rated movie.
26. Buy condoms.
27. Entering the county fair.
28. Voting in a city, county, state or federal election.
29. Taking a lusty gal to a drive-in movie featuring a Burt Reynolds movie.
30. Burning leaves in your backyard.
31. Going to the monkey house at the zoo.
When folks appear on TV and say that they just don’t have an ID....they aren’t living in America.
I recently read somewhere that you can’t enter the DOJ building that Eric Holder works in without a valid photo ID.
nearly one in four black people lack photo identification.
That’s just a “bald faced lie!”
How do these 25% get their welfare bennies from Obama’s stash? How do they do anything in this world without an ID?
This is nothing more than voter fraud being supported by the Black loving Democrats.
What Holder is saying is that 1 in 4 of “his people” are too lazy or stupid to get an ID. Or course, it’s all a smokescreen.
Not even violent, gang-infested, drug-addled third world countries do that!!!
The voter ID laws affect everybody equally. Blacks are affected the same as whites, asians, hispanics, etc.
Eric Holder is trying to get blacks special rights not given to the rest. He is a giant phoney. He knows there is fraud on the part of some voters and wants to keep it that way, because that keeps the Democrats winning. If it is taken away, they may lose some elections they now win. Otherwise, why would he push for the right of people to cheat.
nearly one in four black people lack photo identification.
At the local schools and day care centers, you must not only be on the check out list but you must show a photo ID to pick your children up.